23 April 2008Government of Bahrain seeks to punish ‘homosexual children’ 6 The government of Bahrain is taking action to stamp out homosexuals in the country. In a wide ranging set of proposals MP's have set out a number of initiative designed to rid the country of homosexuals.
23 April 2008Peers vote for freedom to criticise the LGBT community 27 Peers have made an amendment to the Criminal Justice Bill that will protect the freedom of speech of comics, rap artists and those who criticise other people’s sexuality.
22 April 2008New rights for lesbian parents in New South Wales + The government of New South Wales (NSW) has announced that children born through in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) to lesbian mothers will have the same rights as those of heterosexual couples.
22 April 2008Green MEP condemns decision to scale back anti-discrimination directive 2 Jean Lambert, Green MEP for London, has condemned the European Commission’s apparent decision to end its plans to protect people against discrimination on grounds of age and sexual orientation.
22 April 2008Polish official who accused Tinky Winky of being gay resigns 3 A Polish official who questioned the sexuality of Teletubbies character, 'Tinky Winky' has resigned from office. Eva Sowinska last year said she would ask psychologists to investigate whether the purse-carrying character was gay and promoted homosexuality.
22 April 2008Research shows blogs more popular with LGBT community 1 According to a recent national survey gay and lesbian adults reading more blogs than their heterosexual counterparts.
22 April 2008Gay airport guard wins sexual harassment case + A gay airport security guard from Feltham has won his tribunal case that a female colleague harassed him by thrusting her breasts against him and pestering him for sex.
22 April 2008CNN reporter arrested in compromising situation 3 A British born news anchor for American news channel CNN has been arrested for loitering and possession of an illegal substance. Richard Quest, 46, was challenged by police in New York's Central park.
22 April 2008Pope reinforces conservative values at the end of US tour 26 Pope Benedict XVI has concluded his six-day visit to the United States with a speech that spoke against abortion and gay marriage. Before a crowd of over 60,000 people, he ended his first visit to the United States.
15 April 2008Senior Mormons agree to meet with gay group 3 Mormon church officials have agreed to meet with a gay Mormon support group. Affirmation, a group that supports the Mormon LGBT community, were invited to meet with Fred Riley, commissioner of Family Services for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
8 April 2008Cardiff may get Pride this year + A meeting will be held this week to discuss Cardiff's first ever Cardiff Pride event.It is hoped the new event will replace the Cardiff Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, which has been cancelled this year.A lack of community and financial support is being blamed for the cancellation of Wales' largest Pride event."High demands placed on committee members have made it difficult to retain volunteers and attract new ones," the committee said in a statement.
8 April 2008Homophobic remarks come back to haunt Canadian MP + A politician in Canada has issued an apology after a the discovery of a videotape in which he described homosexuals as 'diseased.'Tom Lukiwski, a 56-year-old Conservative MP spoke of his, "deep regret and deep remorse for my words of 17 years ago."He was elected in 2004 after his predecessor, Larry Spencer, was barred from running for making homophobic comments. Mr Spencer was a member of the Canadian Alliance caucus.
8 April 2008‘God Hates Fags’ sect could lose their church 6 A federal judge has ordered that the Westboro Baptist Church building and the Phelps-Chartered Law office be taken away from the owners in order to pay a $5 million (£2.54m) fine.The church runs numerous websites such as GodHatesFags.com, GodHatesAmerica.com and others expressing condemnation of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, Roman Catholics, Muslims and Jews.The religious organisation was ordered to pay the damages after members of its congregation picketed the funeral of two American servicemen.
8 April 2008Lesbian mums fight for legal rights in Israel + A Israeli lesbian couple have filed a suit in a Tel Aviv district court for the right to both be named the biological parents of their newborn baby boy.The case is exceptional as it is the first time that both partners in a homosexual relationship have had an active and biological role in the birth of the child.After the woman who bore the child experienced fertility problems the couple decided that the other partner would conceive.
8 April 2008Gay Jesus and Apostles removed from cathedral exhibition 3 A work of art by one of Vienna's most celebrated artists has been taken down after offending members of the Catholic community.The painting is part of a large collection of works that depict Jesus and his disciples engaging in homosexual acts.To celebrate the 80th birthday of artist Alfred Hrdlicka, the gallery attached to St. Stephen's Catholic Cathedral decided to put on a retrospective of the artists work.
2 April 2008Gay rights advocate resigns as Irish Prime Minister 17 The Prime Minister of the Republic of Ireland has announced his resignation following an investigation into corruption.Bertie Ahern, 56, has been Taoiseach since June 1997 and has been a strong supporter of gay rights in Ireland. In 2006 he told the Gay and Lesbian Equality Network (GLEN):"Our sexual orientation is not an incidental attribute. It is an essential part of who and what we are. All citizens, regardless of sexual orientation, stand equal in the eyes of our laws."
2 April 2008Arts Coucil finds sexual orientation controversy “ironic” + Artists seeking funding for their work are being asked to reveal their sexuality.Any individual or group who apply for Arts Council funding will be asked whether they or any of their management committee are bisexual, gay, heterosexual or lesbian.The Arts Council is compiling the information so that they can report to the government the success rate of different applications.
2 April 2008Boris Johnson rejects BNP support 13 The Conservative candidate for Mayor of London has slammed the British National Party after they told their supporters to choose him as their second preference candidate on May 1st."I utterly and unreservedly condemn the BNP and have no desire whatsoever to receive a single second preference vote from a BNP supporter," said Boris Johnson.Brian Paddick, the Liberal Democrat candidate for Mayor of London, told PinkNews.co.uk: "The BNP obviously recognise Boris' reputation for causing offence and creating division."
2 April 2008Gays embrace innovative car rental schemes + Car Club schemes, a service popular among the gay community, have today been given support from Green Party candidate for Mayor of London Sian Berry.According to company City Car Club, a large amount of gay and lesbian drivers are signing up to the scheme, where members rent the use of a car by the hour.City Car Club has a fleet of more than 300 cars. It claims that once signed up to the scheme members cut down on unnecessary car journeys by as much as 35%.
2 April 2008Thailand joins gay blood ban 2 The Thai Red Cross Society has decided to reject blood donations from homosexual men in a move which has met with strong opposition from human rights organisations.It said it had large amounts of unused blood that had tested HIV-positive.Most of the infected blood was reportedly from men who were having unprotected sex with other men, according the director of the National Blood Centre, Soisaang Pikulsod. Thailand is not the first country to ban gay men from donating blood.
Articles by Adam Lake
- US: Owner of florist sued for refusing same-sex wedding files lawsuit against state13
- Mixed martial arts fighter fined $20,000 and suspended for three months for anti-gay slur+
- France: President Francois Hollande signs equal marriage bill into law4
- Gay MP Mike Freer accuses fellow Tories of attempting to “derail” equal marriage bill8
- Church of England: Allowing straight civil partnerships would ‘introduce confusion’18
- Georgia: Prime Minister denounces violence against IDAHOT rally4
- Poll: 7 in 10 Russians are against the ‘justification and display of homosexuality’28
- Portugal: Parliament grants same-sex couples some adoption rights6
- Comment: Dear Philip Hammond, equal marriage might upset people, but it is worth it for equality18
- Italian Chamber of Deputies President: ‘Macho culture reduces gay people to caricatures’7
- Daniel Radcliffe: When filming Kill Your Darlings, I was given 'step-by-step' gay sex scene instructions16
- Scotland: Trans woman threatened with ban from shopping centre for using ladies' toilets26
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'68
- Turkey urged to broadcast Eurovision following TV station cancellation over lesbian kiss11
- Video: Equal marriage parody of Finland's 2013 Eurovision entry goes viral3
- France: Final marriage equality hurdle passed as Constitutional Council approves bill36
- Birmingham: LGBT sports centre to be opened by naked charity calendar stars Warwick Rowers11
- Georgia: IDAHOT rally attacked by thousands of violent protesters20
- Poll: 7 in 10 Russians are against the 'justification and display of homosexuality'28
- Study: Audiences don't mind gay actors playing straight roles 11
- Tory MP Nadine Dorries: 'The gay marriage bill is taking the sex out of marriage'89
- US: Minnesota Republican moved to tears over 'heartbreaking' same-sex marriage bill73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'68
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'65
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Christians called to pray at Parliament in opposition to equal marriage bill56
- New Zealand: B&B owner says 'not in my home' to lesbian couple56
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage