28 September 2006Lesbian teens face worse treatment in New York prisons claims report 1 A report by the Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) suggests that conditions facing gay teenagers in prisons are worse than those for straight teenagers.Mie Lewis, who wrote the report said; "New York wants to hide the fate of the girls it incarcerates. Abuses have continued because the public has been kept in the dark".
28 September 2006Gay Christian dating website launched today 1 A new gay Christian matchmaking site has been officially launched today by truthsetsfree web site owner and preacher Justin R. Cannon.The site enables gay Christians to upload a personal profile and search for other people in their area who might like to meet for Bible study, friendship or to form relationships."Most GLBTQ Christians are excluded from joining Christian personals sites" said Mr Cannon.
28 September 2006Gay slur stirs debate 3 The Paul Scholes debate continued on our message boards last night."Of course the use of "Poofter" against someone who has done you wrong is a slur to the gay community. Any time a word is used with negative connotations it impacts badly."
28 September 2006“Raping me won’t make me straight” lesbian “mini pride” makes its voice heard + More than 40 South African women took to the streets of Soweto in a "mini pride" march promoted by the Forum for the Empowerment of Women, a gay human rights group based in the township.Holding placards reading "A lesbian with HIV/Aids is still my sister" and "Raping me won't make me straight" the group marched through the Johannesburg suburb, then listened to a series of speeches. Though a minority of residents objected to the event, it progressed without any serious hindrances.
27 September 2006Who will be Mr Gay USA? + With the Miss World finals taking place in Poland on the 30th September, you might think that that would be enough slightly politically incorrect high camp for one week.But you would be wrong.
27 September 2006Three’s a family? Lesbian couple fight groundbreaking case 57 Judges in Canada are deliberating the outcome of a case which could redefine the term "Family".A lesbian couple are fighting for both of them to be recognised as the legal parents of their five-year-old son, along with his biological father.
27 September 2006Who will be Mr Gay USA? 57 With the Miss World finals taking place in Poland on the 30th September, you might think that that would be enough slightly politically incorrect high camp for one week.But you would be wrong.Competition in "Mr World" is hotting up as the USA competes to find the "boy next door" to challenge other "Mr Gay's" from around the World.
27 September 2006How offensive is “poofter” – football comment opens debate 9 Paul Scholes, apparently used a homophobic insult last night after he received a yellow card during Manchester United's Champion's League victory against Portuguese side Benfica.But in the context of being carded and angry, is the insult "poofter" really wilfully anti gay, or just a throw away swear word? Is there a difference, and should this difference be important to us? PinkNews.co.uk took to the streets of Kings Cross to find out.
1 September 2006Cruising at the British Library 2 PinkNews.co.uk ExclusiveThe British Library has been exposed as an ideal cottaging ground, according to a popular website dedicated to the hobby.A [i PinkNews.co.uk [/i] investigation revealed that the library, which holds around 25 million books and thousand-year-old historical items has been included in a list of top gay cruising and cottaging venues on squirt.org.
11 July 2006Police appeal for information on missing man + Police are appealing for anyone who can help them locate a 44-year-old man who has been reported missing from his home in Wembley by his partner.Gustavo William-Coleman was last seen 12.30 on Monday 10 July 2006 inChalkhill Road, Wembley, when he left his home. He has not been seen since.He is described as having a mental age of 11 and suffers from asthma.
11 July 2006Fijian High Commission confirms; no more arrests for consensual gay sex in Fiji 1 The Fijian High Commissioner has confirmed previously unofficial policy changes that men engaging in consensual gay sex will no longer be arrested.The news was welcomed by the New Zealand AIDS foundation, who have long suspected a link between driving the gay community underground and increased levels of HIV infection.
11 July 2006“Gay people like men;” Big Brother contestant wisdom 14 Despite being self professedly gay, Big Brother housemate Michael is finding himself an unlikely ladies man.Housemate Jayne suggested that maybe Michael might not be gay after all, because she was convinced he fancied her. The two shared a bubble bath, though, no doubt to the chagrin of the producers, nothing remotely exciting happened.
11 July 2006Anti-gay “prank” causes serious concerns + Ahead of WorldPride in Jerusalem, a leaflet has been circulated offering a $4,500 reward to anyone who kills a gay person taking part in the pride march.The leaflet, which is signed by a collective calling themselves the "Red Arm of Salvation" has understandably caused consternation amongst the gay community, though it was later revealed to have been a prank.
10 July 2006Martina Navratilova, lesbian icon, quits professional tennis 2 The powerful left-handed tennis star, Martina Navratilova has retired from the professional circuit at the age of 49.The Czechoslovakian player, who was born in 1956, had never been on a grass court before arriving at the pre-Wimbledon tournament at queens. She spoke at the time of her amazement that the grass was so short - she had expected it to be long like a football pitch! Despite this, she soon discovered that this was a surface ideally suited to her aggressive style and incredible level of fitness.
10 July 2006Should I sell photos of my boyfriend to a gay sex mag? + A Sunday Mirror reader gets into a bit of an intellectual quandary, as she splits up from her boyfriend and seeks an appropriate method of revenge to take her mind off her heart ache.Writing to the paper's agony aunt, Dr Catherine Hood, the reader reveals, "he's been having an affair. I'm a keen photographer and have several photos of him wearing my underwear. I'm thinking of sending them to a gay sex magazine. Do you think I'd be justified in doing this?"
10 July 2006“Gay Gene” debate opened again by Latter Day Saints 3 The Salt Lake City Tribune has published evidence that it says shows that people are not genetically born gay."When you assert that individuals are born gay and cannot change, people naturally jump to the conclusion that same-sex marriage is the only rational choice for same-sex attracted individuals," the paper admits.
10 July 2006“Don’t ask, don’t tell” for gay women in the city + Gay women working in the city are three times less likely then gay man to come out, a new survey claims.The recruitment firm The Blomfield Group conducted the survey, which suggests that although the City of London had improved, it was still a challenging place for gay people to work in, especially gay women.
8 July 2006Anti WorldPride petition gathers momentum 23 Another day, another addition to the sea of protest surrounding WorldPride's decision to hold this year's event in the city of Jerusalem.Currently an online petition opposing the event is hovering around the 100,000 signature mark. It's organisers are confident that this target will soon be reached.
8 July 2006Gay animal celebration at London Zoo 2 London Zoo in Regents Park is throwing a party to encourage debate on homosexuality in the animal kingdom. The event, Gay Sunday, is expected to attract hundreds of gay visitors, who will be entertained by drag queens and fire eaters, as they explore the zoo and meet some of the most endangered animals on the planet.Cocktails will be served in a specially built VIP terrace bar, to the accompaniment of jazz classics and the growls, squeaks, hisses and chirrups of the six hundred and fifty animal, reptile and bird species who make the zoo their home.
8 July 2006Pope says “no” to gay marriage, Spanish PM says no to Mass 4 As Pope Benedict XVI starts his official visit to Spain, his views against gay marriage bring him into conflict with the secular Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero. A senior Vatican source revealed that Mr Zapatero, who brought in Spain's gay marriage laws, is refusing to attend a Mass said by the Pope.Cardinal Mario Pompedda told Italy's Corriere della Sera newspaper that Zapatero's decision was "an act of excessive secularism".
Articles by Katherine Knowles
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: ‘I struggled with the issue of sexuality since I was a teenager’1
- Boris Johnson calls on Tories to unite and for the government to ‘get on with legalising equal marriage’6
- George Michael’s lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- Openly gay NBA player Jason Collins honoured with courage award+
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has ‘f**** things up’ with his equal marriage bill37
- New York: Thousands of protesters condemn murder of ‘gay angel Mark Carson’+
- Boris Johnson, Martina Navratilova and Clare Balding to take part in Pride London festival1
- MPs to debate humanist marriage ceremonies9
- Live blog: MPs debate and vote on same-sex marriage in England and Wales+
- Manager: Fined and suspended mixed martial arts fighter ‘doesn’t feel remorse’ for homophobic tweet15
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Video: President Obama tells all-male college 'Be the best husband to your boyfriend'7
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage' 83
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill37
- Manager: Fined and suspended mixed martial arts fighter 'doesn't feel remorse' for homophobic tweet15
- Coalition deal with Labour on straight civil partnerships keeps same-sex marriage bill on track16
- George Michael's lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'83
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'68
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Tory MP David Burrowes: I only want a referendum on same-sex marriage so I can defeat the government's bill54
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage