29 January 2007PM defends Ruth Kelly’s position + A spokesman for the Prime Minister has said Mr Blair wants to pay tribute to Ruth Kelly.The Communities Secretary, who is responsible for equality matters, has been heavily criticised by gay campaigners and some MPs for her strong religious views.Ms Kelly, a devout Catholic, has been accused of bowing to pressure from the hierarchy of the church.
29 January 2007LibDem spokeswoman welcomes PM’s adoption stance 10 Politicians have spoken to PinkNews.co.uk of their delight at Tony Blair's decision to not grant an exemption from anti-discrimination laws to Catholic adoption agencies.Lorely Burt MP, the LibDem spokeswoman on equality, told PinkNews.co.uk:"Tony Blair's statement is welcome news.
29 January 2007Tories make no comment on adoption, LibDem furious + A spokeswoman for Conservative Central Office has said the party has no statement to make about Tony Blair's announcement that Roman Catholic adoption agencies will not be exempted from anti-discrimination legislation.Meanwhile a LibDem MP who tabled an Early Day Motion calling on the government to exempt the Catholic Church has branded Tony Blair a coward.
29 January 2007Stonewall delighted by adoption decision 10 The chief executive of Stonewall has warmly welcomed the statement from Tony Blair that Roman Catholic-run adoption agencies will not be granted an exemption to the Sexual Orientation Regulations.Ben Summerskill also questioned the claim by the church that their agencies are superior to state-run adoption facilities."We are delighted that the cabinet has listened carefully to what we have been saying."
29 January 2007Official – no Catholic adoption opt-out 10 The Prime Minister has announced that the government will not be granting an opt-out for Catholic adoption agencies from the Sexual Orientation Regulations.Instead, the regulations regarding adoption will come into force at the end of 2008.This means that Roman Catholic-run adoption agencies will have nearly two years to adjust to the new rules.
29 January 2007DNA evidence casts doubt on gay murder conviction + A man from Davenport who was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of a gay pensioner could be freed in the light of new evidence.Robert Kennedy was found guilty of murdering Arthur Eathorne, a 74-year-old gay pensioner, at his Plymouth flat on September 21, 1990.Kennedy has spent the last 16 years at Garth prison in Preston, but has always maintained his innocence.
29 January 200712-year-old trans case “not unusual” 2 A 12-year-old Austrian child has undergone gender reassignment treatment after persuading her parents and doctors that she was sure she was a girl.The child, known as Kim, was born a boy and is currently receiving hormone treatment which will eventually lead to gender reassignment surgery.Persia West, who is a transgender activist, spoke to PinkNews.co.uk about the case.
29 January 2007Ban on gay sperm donation legal 2 A Canadian court has said that the ban on gay men donating sperm is perfectly legal.A lesbian woman had claimed that federal regulations that prohibit the use of sperm from any man who has had sex with another man was a breach of her rights.The woman wanted to use sperm from a gay friend, but a 1977 law prohibits him from donating.
29 January 2007Report reveals extent of anti-gay taunts in schools + Research by the National Union of Teachers has revealed that the vast majority of their members hear the word gay used pejoratively on a regular basis.Many felt that sexist and homophobic language was institutionally tolerated.The study also revealed the high levels of sexist language being used in schools and that many female teachers are sexually harassed by pupils.
29 January 2007Tory leader rejects Catholic adoption exemption + David Cameron has said there can be no opt-out for Roman Catholic-run adoption agencies from the Sexual Orientation Regulations.The Conservative party leader said there should be an adjustment period of three to four years for adoption agencies to allow them to adjust to the new rules, which outlaw discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation when accessing goods and services.
26 January 2007Lib Dem MP calls for adoption opt-out 8 A Roman Catholic Liberal Democrat MP has tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons calling on the government to exclude Catholic adoption agencies from the Equality Act.Richard Younger-Ross' motion has been signed by only six other MPs.The Liberal Democrats have been very critical of the proposed opt-outs for Catholic adoption agencies.
26 January 2007Jewish adoption agency open to gays 3 The only registered Jewish adoption and fostering agency in England has told PinkNews.co.uk that they are not seeking an exemption from the Sexual Orientation Regulations.Norma Brier, who is chief executive of the agency, Norwood, confirmed that they will comply with the regulations, which are designed to protect gay lesbian and bisexual people from discrimination when accessing goods and services.
26 January 2007Ruth resignation rumours rubbished 3 A spokesman for Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly has dismissed rumours that she on the brink of resigning from the Cabinet.Ms Kelly has been the focus of much of the criticism the goverment has faced after it was revealed that they are considering granting exemptions to anti-discrimination legislation to Roman Catholic adoption agencies.
26 January 2007Tories comment on adoption row 3 PinkNews.co.uk exclusive Eleanor Laing, The Conservative shadow minister for Women and Equality, has called on the government to find a solution to the row over exemptions from equality legislation for Roman Catholic adoption agencies.Ms Laing, the MP for Epping Forest, also criticised those who have attacked Ruth Kelly for her religious beliefs.
26 January 2007Gay rapper highlights school bullying 4 British rapper QBoy is to present a schools programme for Channel 4 in which he talks to children who have come out while still at school. Coming Out To Class is one of a series of programmes in the channel's Gay Week which starts on February 26th.QBoy told PinkNews.co.uk, "I am happy that this programme has been made as I hope it will shed light on a much ignored issue."
26 January 2007Tribunal told gay parents are bad for kids 2 An employment tribunal in Yorkshire has heard evidence from an American academic who claims that placing children with same-sex couples damages them.Former magistrate Andrew McClintock is claiming the Constitutional Affairs department were acting unlawfully by not allowing him to opt out of ruling on cases where gay and lesbians were seeking to adopt children.
25 January 2007Greens attack Catholic adoption “opt-out” in Scotland 1 The Scottish Green Party has spoken out against Labour and the Scottish National Party over rumours of an opt-out for Catholic adoption agencies in the country.On the day that the London press is reporting a defeat for the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales, the two largest parties in Scotland appear to be supporting the denial of gay and lesbian couples in Scotland to equal treatment by Catholic adoption agencies.
25 January 2007Exhibition focuses on gays in the press + The London Borough of Barnet will celebrate LGBT History Month next week with an exhibition at the Church Farmhouse Museum in Hendon.1967 and All That will showcase press items about gay and lesbian issues from the past forty years.The Lesbian and Gay Newsmedia Archives has loaned its extensive collection for the exhibition.
25 January 2007Tory website abuzz with opinions on gay adoption + While Conservative MPs have been silent on the issue of gay adoption, grassroots members have made their feelings clear on Tory discussion boards.Despite the positive approach towards LGBT people favoured by party leader David Cameron, comments posted on a Tory supporters website demonstrate that many activists disagree with him.Conservativehome.com contains some lively debate on the gay adoption row.
25 January 2007Gay father praises Catholic agencies and defends Ruth Kelly 57 PinkNews.co.uk exclusive A gay Anglican priest who has fostered a child for 15 years has defended the staff of Catholic adoption agencies and criticised the way in which Communities Secretary Ruth Kelly has been pilloried for her religious beliefs.Fr Martin Reynolds, who is a prominent member of the Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement, said that everything must be done to preserve the "outstanding work" that social workers and other staff in Catholic agencies do to help vulnerable children.
Articles by Tony Grew
- Church of Scotland: Ten Congregations set to split in rows over gay ministers+
- US: Four relatives receive between eight and thirty years for kidnapping of gay Kentucky man1
- Medical study: Trans hormone treatment is safe and effective+
- Tanzania: Police accused by Human Rights Watch of sexually assaulting LGBT citizens1
- The state of play on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill in the House of Lords committee stage31
- US: Florida LGBT groups launch effort to repeal state ban on equal marriage1
- Humanist weddings amendment withdrawn from equal marriage bill17
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under ‘foreign agent’ law9
- Amendments urging for civil registrars to opt out of equal marriage ceremonies withdrawn from bill10
- Travel: Is Las Vegas a ‘Fabulous’ gay holiday destination?7
- The state of play on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill in the House of Lords committee stage31
- South Africa: Gay imam spreads message of empowerment when it comes to homosexuality and Islam 15
- US: Four relatives receive between eight and thirty years for kidnapping of gay Kentucky man 1
- Humanist weddings amendment withdrawn from equal marriage bill 17
- Travel: Is Las Vegas a 'Fabulous' gay holiday destination?7
- Gay fashioner designer Stefano Gabbana sentenced for tax evasion23
- Liberace's ex-lover claims he had six year relationship with Michael Jackson18
- Russia: LGBT rights group fined 500,000 rubles under 'foreign agent' law9
- Gay dating website for 'homosensible' Catholic priests being run out of the Vatican20
- US: Third Republican Senator comes out in favour of equal marriage3
- New 'Gay Marriage No Thanks' group launches with 'ten good reasons' to oppose equal marriage88
- Lord Tebbit: I wouldn't have been surprised if Jimmy Savile was homosexual85
- Archbishop of York: Would the Church of England rather bless 'sheep and trees' than gay couples?85
- Barry Cryer brands ITV's Vicious 'homophobic' television85
- Lib Dems' Baroness Williams to support anti-equal marriage 'union' amendment72
- Mixed martial arts fighter: 'Equal marriage could lead to incest, bestiality and child marriages'69
- Maria Miller tables Public Order Act amendment protecting critics of equal marriage67
- Labour MSP Elaine Smith: 'I'm against equal marriage but don't call me homophobic'65
- Tory Lord Mawhinney tables 'traditional marriage' amendment for equal marriage bill62
- Lord Hylton tables new wrecking amendment for the equal marriage bill62
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage