6 January 2009Jersey may become first Crown dependency to introduce civil partnerships 1 The government of Jersey is to consider the implications of granting same-sex couples the right to enter into civil partnerships.
6 January 2009BBC under renewed pressure following homophobic slurs against Lindsay Lohan 15 A BBC TV programme that contained slurs against lesbians has received just 13 complaints, the corporation said today. Gay rights group Stonewall and human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell have both criticised the BBC for not taking complaints about homophobia seriously.
6 January 2009Stonewall calls on BBC Trust to take homophobia seriously after lesbian slurs 10 A leading gay rights group has called on the BBC to pay attention to the millions of lesbian, gay and bisexual people who pay for the corporation through the licence fee.
6 January 2009Interview: Waiting for Godot with Captain Picard 4 Last month gay star and acting legend Sir Ian McKellen spent an evening raising funds for vulnerable lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans teenagers.
6 January 2009111th United States Congress convenes with new gay member 4 The first openly gay man to be elected to the United States House of Representatives as a non-incumbent will be sworn in today in Washington DC.
5 January 2009FA committed to anti-homophobia DVD but no word on Beckham 2 The Football Association has confirmed it is collaborating on a new DVD aimed at tackling homophobia in the game.
5 January 2009Conservatives and Labour ignore gay victims of domestic abuse claims charity 3 A new Tory party plan to spend an extra £2.6m on help for women experiencing domestic violence has been attacked by a gay charity.
5 January 2009Richardson withdrawal raises hopes of gay nominee for Obama’s top team 2 An American organisation that promotes lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people in government has suggested that President-elect Obama nominate a gay man as Commerce Secretary.
5 January 2009Blow for Obama as Commerce Secretary nominee withdraws + The Governor of New Mexico has told the US President-elect Barack Obama that he wishes to withdraw his name from nomination for the position of Commerce Secretary.
5 January 2009Conservative MP Nick Herbert and boyfriend joined in civil partnership 17 A leading Conservative MP has entered into a civil partnership. Nick Herbert, the Shadow Justice Secretary, and his partner Jason Eades tied the knot in a small, private ceremony in Lambeth last week.
29 December 2008Homophobic families harm gay teenagers, study claims 7 For the first time ever, researchers have claimed that there is a direct link between homophobic rejection of LGB adolescents by their families and mental health problems.
23 December 2008Comment: Pope Benedict learnt nothing from his time in the Hitler Youth 42 Imagine if a world leader said that Jews were a threat to humanity. Imagine the outrage such a provocative statement would be, especially if that leader was German.
22 December 2008Documentary about shamed US evangelical Ted Haggard airs next month 5 Preacher Ted Haggard will talk publicly about his fall from grace at the American Television Critics Association next month.
22 December 2008Victory Fund upset at lack of gays in Obama’s Cabinet 4 A group that funds lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans candidates for political office in the United States has expressed disappointment at the makeup of President-elect Barack Obama's proposed Cabinet.
22 December 2008Straight man wins “landmark” homophobic harassment case 3 A 56-year-old married man who was repeatedly taunted at work about being gay because he lives in Brighton has won his case at the Court of Appeal.
19 December 2008Employment lawyers and politicians welcome Ladele ruling 1 The ruling by the employment appeals tribunal that a Christian registrar was not discriminated against by Islington Council over her refusal to perform civil partnerships has been welcomed.
19 December 2008US general backs gay man for Secretary of the Navy + An openly gay man is on the shortlist for the role of Secretary of the Navy in the new Obama administration.
19 December 200866 countries back UN statement on rights of sexual minorities 4 Yesterday a statement was read at the United Nations General Assembly in New York reiterating the universal human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people.
19 December 2008Christian Institute may appeal to High Court over Ladele ruling 11 A fundamentalist Christian group that financially backed a tribunal against Islington Council has said the case may go to the Court of Appeal.
19 December 2008Stonewall – our prayers have been answered over Ladele case 12 Britain's leading gay equality organisation has expressed delight at the employment appeals tribunal's ruling in the case of a Christian public servant who refused to deal with gay couples.
Articles by Tony Grew
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’7
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members+
- US church tells PinkNews: Equal marriage is to blame for violent Woolwich murder7
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’+
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’3
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote13
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’36
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill — Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends ‘aggressive homosexual community’ equal marriage slur59
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 59
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'36
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur59
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage