9 May 2012Breaking News: President Obama confirms support for equal marriage 117 Barack Obama, the president of the United States, has announced in an interview with ABC News that he thinks gay couples should have the same legal right to marry as heterosexual couples.
9 May 2012Speaker of the House of Commons to push for gay rights in the Commonwealth 15 John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons, is expected to champion the rights of LGBT people in the Commonwealth in a speech next week, the Independent reports.
9 May 2012Gallup poll finds that majority in US support equal marriage 19 A Gallup poll has found that half of the US population believe that same-sex couples should have the same wedding rights and legal rights as heterosexuals, reinforcing other polls that have found a majority support for equal marriage.
7 May 2012Ousted Iowa judges who legalised equal marriage receive Profiles in Courage Award 12 Three judges from Iowa, who in a historic ruling voted to extend marriage to same-sex couples, and who were subsequently ousted through an orchestrated campaign by right-wing groups, have been honoured by Caroline Kennedy through the Profiles in Courage Award.
7 May 2012Audio: Bill Clinton speaks out against Amendment One 18 The former president of the United States, Bill Clinton, has spoken out against North Carolina's Amendment One, as the state goes to the polls tomorrow morning.
7 May 2012US education secretary Arne Duncan endorses equal marriage 9 Following US vice-president Joe Biden's announcement that he supports equal marriage, the US education secretary, Arne Duncan, has followed suit by saying he supports the move in a live interview with MSNBC.
7 May 2012Indiana: Mother sends son to school with stun gun to confront bullies 38 A mother from Indiana, US, has said that she would gladly ask her gay son to carry a stun gun to school again, in order to confront homophobic bullies, even as the teenager now faces expulsion from the school.
7 May 2012North Carolina: Anti-gay amendment leading in polls 24 Ahead of the vote tomorrow, recent polls in North Carolina have suggested that Amendment One, which would introduce a constitutional ban on equal marriage, and outlaws even civil unions, looks set to pass. According to US media reports, supporters of the amendment are driving a record turnout in early voting, which is also thought to [...]
7 May 2012South Africa: House of Chiefs oppose gay rights 57 The House of Chiefs in South Africa, also known as the National House of Traditional Leaders, have asked for the parliament to delete a clause in the constitution that guarantees equal rights for gay and trans people, a local news publication reports.
7 May 2012Anti-equality petition reaches 500,000 signatures 177 The anti-equality Coalition for Marriage (C4M), formed by an alliance of faith groups to oppose the extension of marriage to same-sex couples in the UK, claims on its website that it now has half-a-million signatures in support of its petition.
6 May 2012Equalities Minister Lynne Featherstone: Equal marriage will not be in Queen’s Speech 96 The UK equalities minister, Lynne Featherstone, has confirmed through her blog that proposals for equal marriage will not be in this year's Queen's Speech.
6 May 2012Exclusive: David Cameron ‘not backing down on gay marriage’ 86 Amidst reports today that the British Prime Minister, David Cameron, is set to make a retreat over equal marriage, a Downing Street spokesperson has confirmed to PinkNews.co.uk that such reports are mere "speculation," and that the PM's position remains "unaltered."
5 May 2012Gay man’s deportation to Cameroon halted 42 The deportation of a man to Cameroon, who describes himself as gay, has been stopped, the BBC reports, after he refused to board a flight from London to Paris.
5 May 2012Tennessee: Yearbook profile of a gay student provokes controversy 92 The publication of an article about a gay student in the yearbook of Lenoir City High School has provoked outrage, after one of the board members of the school wrote a blog-post asking for the journalism teacher to be sacked, and for a police investigation into the matter.
5 May 2012Gay artist Keith Haring celebrated by Google 7 Google has celebrated the life and work of Keith Haring, an American pop-artist who died of AIDS-related complications at the age of 31, twenty-two years ago, by means of a Google Doodle.
4 May 2012JC Penny releases pro-gay ad, under fire from One Million Moms 30 The US retailer, JC Penney (JCP), is under fire from the anti-gay group, One Million Moms, for the second time this year, after the retailer released a pro-gay ad featuring a lesbian couple with a child.
4 May 2012Colorado a step closer towards civil partnerships for gay couples 13 A bill calling for civil partnerships for gay couples, granting rights similar to that granted by marriages, has passed through a Republican-led judiciary committee, even though it was rejected by the same committee last year.
4 May 2012Gay Tories Brian Coleman and Richard Barnes lose seats to Labour 56 London's 'statutory' deputy mayor, Richard Barnes, and the chairman of the London Fire Authority, Brian Coleman, both of whom are openly gay, are among the Conservative Councillors to have lost seats to Labour, in what has been a rather poor day for the Tories across the country.
4 May 2012Mitt Romney says he wanted gay spokesperson to remain 21 The presumptive Republican presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, has said that he wanted Richard Grenell, who is openly gay and supports marriage equality, to stay on in his capacity as foreign policy spokesperson.
3 May 2012Australia: Former High Court judge speaks up for equal marriage 19 A former High Court judge in Australia, in testifying to a parliamentary inquiry into equal marriage, has said that all rights afforded to heterosexual citizens should also be afforded to LGBT citizens.
Articles by Edmund Broch
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: ‘I struggled with the issue of sexuality since I was a teenager’2
- Boris Johnson calls on Tories to unite and for the government to ‘get on with legalising equal marriage’7
- George Michael’s lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- Openly gay NBA player Jason Collins honoured with courage award+
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has ‘f**** things up’ with his equal marriage bill37
- New York: Thousands of protesters condemn murder of ‘gay angel Mark Carson’+
- Boris Johnson, Martina Navratilova and Clare Balding to take part in Pride London festival1
- MPs to debate humanist marriage ceremonies9
- Live blog: MPs debate and vote on same-sex marriage in England and Wales+
- Manager: Fined and suspended mixed martial arts fighter ‘doesn’t feel remorse’ for homophobic tweet15
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Video: President Obama tells all-male college 'Be the best husband to your boyfriend'7
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage' 83
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill37
- Manager: Fined and suspended mixed martial arts fighter 'doesn't feel remorse' for homophobic tweet15
- Coalition deal with Labour on straight civil partnerships keeps same-sex marriage bill on track16
- George Michael's lucky escape after falling out of a car travelling at 70mph5
- MPs reject legal protection for religious anti-gay equality beliefs13
- MPs to debate humanist marriage ceremonies 9
- MPs reject proposal to introduce straight civil partnerships without a full review12
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault127
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'83
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'68
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Tory MP David Burrowes: I only want a referendum on same-sex marriage so I can defeat the government's bill54
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage