13 February 2013Comment: Reflections on speaking out for equal marriage before a committee of MPs tasked with changing the law 27 PinkNews and Out4Marriage founder Benjamin Cohen, reflects on giving evidence at the Public Bills Committee for equal marriage.
5 February 2013Comment: It’s time for a referendum on marriage- to force balding heterosexuals to divorce 21 PinkNews.co.uk founder Benjamin Cohen takes a sideways look at the calls by some MPs for a referendum on allowing same-sex couples to marry.
18 January 2013Oxford Union ‘gay parenting’ debate: The winning speech 9 In an Oxford Union debate on Thursday evening about gay parenting, a motion in support of the principle was passed by a large majority. Here is the winning speech, delivered to the packed house.
9 January 2013French Government: Twitter should ban homophobic and anti-semitic tweets 7 The French Government has suggested that the social networking company Twitter should be fighting against homophobic, anti-semitic and racist tweets that potentially break its laws on hate speech.
1 December 2012David Cameron: Too many people are infected with HIV without knowing it 58 David Cameron says more needs to be done to increase HIV testing and has paid tribute to HIV/AIDS care and prevention workers in his annual World AIDS Day message.
1 December 2012London: G-A-Y Bar today attempts world record for total number of HIV tests 45 G-A-Y Bar on London’s Old Compton Street will once again be providing free HIV tests today to mark World AIDS Day, donate £10 to charity for each test and campaigners hope to break another world record in the process.
23 November 2012UK Youth Parliament votes not to campaign for same-sex marriage 45 Following a day of debates and votes held at the House of Commons, the UK Youth Parliament has voted to reject same-sex marriage equality as its campaign for 2013. It came bottom in a vote of priorities by delegates.
22 November 2012ConservativeHome editor: Cameron is on ‘right side of history but wrong side of core voters’ on equal marriage 26 Tim Montgomerie, the editor of Conservative Home has urged Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron to argue more passionately in favour of same-sex marriage, but he warned that at present, Mr Cameron is on the “right side of history, but the wrong side of his core voters” on this issue.
22 November 2012Conservative MP: Church is deluded if it thinks Parliament will listen to opposition of same-sex marriage 27 The Conservative MP Sir Tony Baldry who speaks on behalf of the Church of England’s commissioners in Parliament has warned that the church is deluding itself if it thinks that MPs will listen to its arguments against marriage equality for gay couples.
11 November 2012UK equalities minister: Gay couples will be banned from suing churches that refuse to marry them 154 The British equalities minister has confirmed that gay couples are to be prevented from using European human rights laws to demand a church to marry them. Maria Miller, the culture secretary and equalities minister has said that new safeguards would prevent couples from using the European Convention on Human Right’s protection for freedom of religion to force a particular church to marry them.
23 June 2012Google celebrates 100th anniversary of gay war hero’s Alan Turing’s birth with Doodle 27 Google has celebrated the 100th anniversary of the birth of Alan Turing, the gay mathematical genius and codebreaker who not only was the effective inventor of the computer but also a key driver behind the victory over the Nazis.
8 February 2012Comment: Why I made an It Gets Better video on being gay and Jewish 54 On Friday afternoon, I posted a video to YouTube. It was a historic moment for me because I haven’t actually posted very much on there before but also it was because for the first time officially, I shared my coming out story with the Channel 4 News audience and the wider world. The video I posted was to form part of the ‘It Gets Better’ campaign.
8 January 2012Comment: How and why PinkNews will be celebrating Peter Tatchell Day 15 Peter Tatchell has changed Britain and the world for the better in his decades of campaigning. PinkNews.co.uk is delighted to be working with his foundation to raise awareness and fundraise during his 60th birthday year.
14 March 2011Gay dating app Grindr to launch straight counterpart 3 Grindr, the revolutionary iPhone, BlackBerry and Android application for the gay community is to launch a mainstream version of their social networking concept. Grindr has more than 1.65 million regular users in 180 countries worldwide, with London being the app’s most popular city.
20 October 2010Israel’s only gay MP speaks out for marriage on visit to London 8 Nitzan Horowitz, the first openly gay politician to be elected to the Israeli Knesset (Parliament), is a man on a mission. Representing the left of centre, pro-peace New Movement-Meretz party, he has called for Israel to introduce secular marriages for gay and straight couples as well as campaigning for help for LGBT people from neighboring Arab countries who risk death if returned home.
24 July 2010Best of PinkNews: Tory chairman declares his old anti-gay policies “immoral” 17 As PinkNews.co.uk celebrates its fifth birthday, we take a look back at some of the most important exclusive stories we've broken. In this interview first published in 2006, then Conservative Party chairman Francis Maude declared the anti-gay policies he'd voted for in the Thatcher Government were "immoral" and said that they contributed to the death of gay men including his brother from HIV/ AIDs.
8 July 2010Comment: Time for Jewish leaders to show some pride 46 I've been to many LGBT Pride events before; last year I accompanied the-then prime minister's wife Sarah Brown at London's Pride march. This year, both in Tel Aviv and in London, the experience was different, I wasn't just 'coming out' as LGBT, I was coming out as an LGBT Jew.
5 July 2010Theatre: Love the Sinner + This new play by Drew Pautz begins with a contemporary argument and one familiar to the readers of this publication; how to reconcile the evangelical beliefs of African Anglicans and the more tolerant approach made by the Church of England to the subject of homosexuality. Set at a hotel in Africa (the country is not specified), bishops from across the globe are meeting to determine the approach of the Anglican Communion to this live issue.
22 June 2010Travel: Tel Aviv- bursting with pride 15 Benjamin Cohen finds that four nights in Tel Aviv for LGBT pride dramatically changed his perception of Israel. Four nights in Tel Aviv, for the city’s LGBT pride celebrations has changed me in a way no holiday ever has before. My attitudes and perceptions of Israel have changed dramatically and it’s also changed the way that I reconcile my sexuality with my religion.
11 June 2010Tel Aviv Pride kicks off 20 Tens of thousands of people are expected to join Tel Aviv Pride today, the Middle East's only significant gay celebration. PinkNews.co.uk founder Benjamin Cohen reports from Israel.
Articles by Benjamin Cohen
- Poll: 7 in 10 Russians are against the ‘justification and display of homosexuality’14
- Portugal: Parliament grants same-sex couples some adoption rights2
- Comment: Dear Philip Hammond, equal marriage might upset people, but it is worth it for equality11
- Italian Chamber of Deputies President: ‘Macho culture reduces gay people to caricatures’1
- US: Mixed martial arts fighter suspended for tweeting the word ‘fag’3
- Sunderland Football Club flies rainbow flag in support of IDAHOT2
- Scotland: Trans woman threatened with ban from shopping centre for using ladies’ toilets7
- National AIDS Trust: ‘Passing equal marriage will help in the fight against the UK’s HIV epidemic’2
- France: Final marriage equality hurdle passed as Constitutional Council approves bill21
- Turkey urged to broadcast Eurovision following TV station cancellation over lesbian kiss1
- Daniel Radcliffe: When filming Kill Your Darlings, I was given 'step-by-step' gay sex scene instructions7
- Video: Finland's pro-equal marriage Eurovision entrant stages lesbian kiss and gets into final14
- Uma Thurman to star in biopic as anti-gay campaigner Anita Bryant 12
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'63
- Study: Audiences don't mind gay actors playing straight roles 11
- ILGA-Europe releases 2013 European LGBT rights map 48
- Georgia: IDAHOT rally attacked by thousands of violent protesters13
- Channel 4 Big Breakfast creator Charlie Parsons acquires global dating site Gaydar3
- Scotland: Trans woman threatened with ban from shopping centre for using ladies' toilets7
- Tory MP Nadine Dorries: 'The gay marriage bill is taking the sex out of marriage'89
- US: Minnesota Republican moved to tears over 'heartbreaking' same-sex marriage bill73
- Bret Easton Ellis slams GLAAD and says gay basketball player Jason Collins treated like a 'baby panda'65
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples64
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'63
- US Radio host: Gay news websites are covered with porn that is turning teens gay62
- Lib Dem MP Sarah Teather tells Catholic newspaper 'I never went into politics to tackle equal marriage'59
- Tory MP David Burrowes: 'I'm not anti-gay; I'm just pro-marriage'57
- Christians called to pray at Parliament in opposition to equal marriage bill56
- New Zealand: B&B owner says 'not in my home' to lesbian couple56
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage