North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory has withdrawn a lawsuit against the federal government, defending HB2, but still plans to defend in another court.

On Friday (September 16), the Governor withdraw the action against the United States Government over the anti-LGBT legislation, claiming the case was expensive and redundant.

Withdrawing the case, lawyers for Gov. McCrory said that with the United States engaged in similar action against the state, he felt it would be more cost effective and efficient to defend HB2 in one case.

They said: “In light of the fact that plaintiff’s claims in this action have now been asserted as counterclaims in the Middle District case, the substantial costs to the State of litigating similar legal issues in tow different judicial districts and the interests of judicial economy and efficiency, plaintiffs feel compelled to file this notice of voluntary dismissal without prejudice.”

Gov. McCrory has said he will only consider repealing the law if cities, such as Charlotte, repeal their LGBT-protective ordinances first.

HB2 was the first anti-LGBT legislation to be passed after the Supreme Court legalised same-sex marriage across all 50 states.

The bill, which requires trans people to use public bathrooms that match the gender on their birth certificate, also limits LGBT protections across the state.

Earlier this month, a group known as North Carolinians for Privacy dropped a lawsuit supporting HB2. It said in a statement it would support the state’s efforts to prevent LGBT equality instead.

Yesterday, PinkNews reported that HB2 is costing North Carolina around $395 million, due to companies and sporting events withdrawing from the state.

Parts of it are also unenforceable in the University of North Carolina as a judge has issued an injunction against it.