The University of North Carolina has been at least temporarily blocked form enforcing a law meaning trans students and employees can’t use a bathroom matching their gender identity.

The temporary ruling applies specifically to two students and a staff member.


US District Judge Thomas Schroeder granted a partial preliminary injuction to the plaintiffs in the case.

While the judge limited the injunction to the three people, he said he belives their claim against the state’s HB2 law would be a success.

The students and staff member want to argue that HB2 violates the anti-discrimination Title IX law.

The decision is hailed as a victory of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and the US Justice Department, both of which have sued over the law.

Judge Schroeder’s final decision on the law will come in a November trial.

Earlier this week, the University of Vermont pulled a game with the University of North Carolina, voicing concerns over HB2.

The NBA announced last week that it had opted to move its 2017 All Star Game from Charlotte, North Carolina, in protest against the state’s anti-LGBT HB2, which was introduced this year.

The league previously said it was “deeply concerned” by North Carolina’s recently passed HB2, which rolled back pre-existing LGBT rights protections.

It was thought that HB2 would be repealed or revised in North Carolina, but lawmakers in the state last month adjourned, leaving the law barely changed.

Previously tweeting, the NBA said it was “deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principals of equality and mutual respect and do not know what impact it will have on our ability to successfully host the 2017 All-Star game in Charlotte.”

“It would be easy to say we’re moving it,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver clarified on Friday.

“We feel there’s a constructive role for the league to play. If we announce we’re moving it now, what’s the incentive to change the law?”

Hundreds of business leaders have urged the repeal of North Carolina’s HB2, and multiple celebrities have pulled out of appearances, including Ringo Starr and, Bruce Springsteen.

Springsteen was even accused of using “bully tactics” for cancelling the concert by one of the state’s Representatives.

But dozens of celebrities and hundreds of fans came to the defence of Springsteen, commending him for taking a stand.