Mark Menzies says he has no intention of resigning as an MP over claims he paid a male escort for sex and drugs.

The Conservative MP for Fylde in Lancashire resigned last Sunday as Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to International Development Minister Alan Duncan after an investigation by the Sunday Mirror.

The paper reported a series of allegations about Mr Menzies’ private life which it said had been made by a Brazilian man, including claims that the MP paid him for sex and asked him to buy an illegal drug.

In response, the MP insisted several of the claims were “not true”.

Writing for his local paper, he thanked well-wishers for their support and added: “I now need a period of stability to rebuild my private life and continue to focus on helping constituents.”

He admitted it had been an “extremely difficult period” but vowed to keep working.

The Mirror reports the fate of Mr Menzies will be decided on Friday when Tory party members in his constituency meet to discuss if the 42-year-old should stand in the next election.

Martin ­Chatfield, head of the local Conservative association, hinted that the MP’s position was not in “jeopardy”.

He said: “While what has been alleged in the papers is not good, Mark has been very contrite.

“I don’t think his current position as an MP is in jeopardy.”