Hurrah for Scotland as years of campaigning leads to equal marriage victory!

1. Brett Gibson 4 Feb, 10:55pm

Well done Scotland and congratulations to all the grides and brooms to be ;)

2. Wow well done Scotland. I hope this will also inspire my country’s(Ireland) people to vote yes for marriage equality. Despite what you’ve seen in PN about disastrous homophobia debate on the Brendan O Connor show and the despicable fine on Panty Bliss(Rory O Neill) for calling out the homophobes, I like the think most of us have become accepting and more progressive just not the heavily Catholic RTE. Our neighbpours Britain I think is our leading light for equality in recent years and for that I applaud you all :).

3. Oh, the poor Catholic Church! How ever will they be able to molest children when they can no longer change the subject by opposing marriage equality legislation? How will the Catholic Church explain away the fact that children are safer with married LGBT couples than Catholic priests?

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 5 Feb, 10:16am

Like Your comment. This Church is false, by not admitting that “gay love” is equal- given to us by MOTHER EARTH !

4. Well played the Scots parliament, Irish next please!

5. Helge Vladimir Tiller 4 Feb, 11:23pm

In advance, I went out today. I was sure that this wonderful result was about to appear. There is a nice restaurant just 50 yards from where I live. I enjoyed salmon , clear water and latte ! To celebrate A HAPPY DAY with my lovely sisters and brothers living in Scotland in my mind.! We are neighbours- Scotland and Norway.We don’t fight eachother today. That belongs to the past. Now we support eachother with a helping hand and love. I was thinking about Your lovely nature, Your brave People. Dreams, good wishes and a feeling of justice for LGBTQ people went through my head. Some of the dreams have come true. Others we still have to fight for. Since The Vikings crossed The North Sea with bravery- I’m sure my warm embrace and thoughts easily find the correct route, straight into YOUR LOVELY HEARTS. LOVE- LOVE- LOVE from Norway ! Congratulations !

1. graham 5 Feb, 5:19pm

Thank You! x

2. Colin (Queenstown/London) 6 Feb, 3:15am

Helge
      Just saw your post. I am Scottish by birth. Parents and sisters live there. Thank you for your kind comments which are charming and appreciated. For me my sister brother in law and I had a dram in celebration. Myself and my two gay Scottish nieces have a wonderful smile on our faces and much thanks in our hearts for all of those who worked for this. Scotland really has changed for the better.
      Big hug to you Helge and to wonderful Norway. Appreciated mate.

6. Did the “believing marriage to be between a man and a woman” amendment actually get through? If so, can civil servants refuse to carry out duties for GLBT people? This would be an unacceptable compromise in an otherwise admirable development.

1. glasgow1975 4 Feb, 11:58pm

it didn’t, all of the spurious Amendments were voted down by the same margin as the final vote was passed

1. Thanks.

7. Robert in S.Kensington 5 Feb, 12:05am

I think will now have to take the transgender and humanist weddings aspects of the Scottish bill much more seriously. I see amendments will have to be made to ours in the next year or two. Ours is very flawed and needs correcting.

8. BennieM 5 Feb, 12:43am

This is a great day for Scotland! There were times over the last 2-3 years when I doubted it would ever happen!

105 – 18 in favour, even better than the stage 1 vote! And only 5 MSPs absent this time instead of 9 – and I notice 2 MSPs were absent for both votes!

I’ve wanted to leave a comment all night but had problems loading the PN website! I suppose everyone is interested in hearing the good news!

Now it’s on to supporting the equal marriage campaigns in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland!

1. Do not forget Australia, Jersey and Isle of Man as well gay activists and straight allies are campaigning for marriage equality too!!!!!!

1. BennieM 5 Feb, 11:45am

Yes, of course, Paul, you’re absolutely right. Those of us in countries (or States in the US for example) where same marriage is legal should do what we can to support all other countries and States who are still fighting for this equality.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 5 Feb, 11:42am

I never thought for a moment that Scotland wouldn’t do the right thing, Bennie. I watched it all. Beautifully and elegantly handled. We down south now need to bring our Bill in line with Scotland’s, much work and lobbying to do, as well as for our brothers and sisters in N.Ireland, the Republic and elsewhere.

1. BennieM 5 Feb, 11:57am

You’re much more confident and optimistic than I am, Robert! It was a very subued process right from the start, it had lengthy & unprecedented consultation, there were several delays and it took almost a year after the launch for the Scottish government to even decide to legislate for marriage equality. More recently in the Equal Opportunities Committee, almost half the members are opposed to equal marriage. So there were many times when I was worried it would falter or be stopped.

But it’s been passed now, by a massive majority and all the spurious amendments by religioys bigots were voted down. It couldn’t have ended any better!

9. Name and shame the MSPs that voted against this please?!

10. Great! Hopefully someday Northern Ireland will see the light :P

According to a list I’ve compiled, next in Europe are:

Finland – This month hopefully
    Faroe Islands – April 1st if they accept a Danish-like bill
    Greenland – July 1st if they accept a Danish-like bill
    Luxembourg – Prime Minister wants it down over the summer
    Ireland – Public referendum in 2015

Bills have been introduced in Austria and Switzerland while Germany’s roadblock seems to be Merkel and her party.

11. Janine Lutz 5 Feb, 6:23am

“Mazel Tov” to our Scottish brothers and sisters across the pond! I remember how great it felt when my wife and I finally got our rights here in the U.S.! There’s NOTHING like the feeling you get when your relationship is finally “legitimate” in your own countly! As legitimacy is feeling that people still yearn for, especially when they’ve always been denied it! Enjoy your special day! YOU DESERVE IT!!! Janine & Debra in San Diego, California.

12. Think you may be confused Pink News. Trans people won’t need to divorce before transitioning under English law. You’re mixing this up with spousel veto, meaning if married, they will need their partners consent to obtain their gender recognition. Come on, there’s enough disinformation out there already. The link you provide clearly states this.

Congrats Scotland however.

13. BennieM 5 Feb, 10:11am

Can I also just say thanks to the Pink News team for it’s in-depth and accurate reporting on Scottish equal marriage over the last couple of years!

The Scottish papers and tv news always report it from a “straight point of view” – as if no LGBT Scots are reading/watching. For example, yesterday’s wrecking amendments, which were all shot down in flames, have been reported in more than one Scottish news website as “attempts to introduce safeguards for religious Scots were rejected by MSPs.”

The bill already had all the safeguards that were needed, these amendments were designed to stop the bill, nothing more. These religious bigots tried to make an issue of equality for one group of people into an issue of discrinination for themselves – but they bloody well failed! Let’s just hope the Scottish media realise that and begin to report facts instead of religious propaganda.

14. Well done Scotland!

Gay marriage is long overdue in Scotland, but like England and Wales we might have to wait another year just to sort out the regulations and commencement date!!!!

Also I noticed this quote: “Northern Ireland is now the only remaining UK nation where equal marriage has not been legalised.”

This is not quite true, because both Jersey and Isle of Man still have bans on gay marriages and Northern Ireland, Jersey and Isle of Man residents once they get married in England, Wales and Scotland and go back to Isle of Man, Northern Ireland or Jersey – they will automatically “revert” back to civil partnership in Jersey, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland!!!!!!!!

In Australia – it is worse, because no civil partnership/union at a federal level!!!!!

Both Northern Ireland and Australia (they also both have very conservative religious fanatical politicians in control) are always behind the times and an complete utter embarrassment on a lot of issues!!!!!

1. Since 2004, Australia bans gay marriages and does not recognise civil partnerships/unions from the UK. But Australia does have “cheap and tacky” de facto status for all gay and straight relationships since 2009. But only straight people can get married in Australia!!!!!!

2. That There Other David 5 Feb, 10:29am

Jersey (and the other Channel Islands) and the Isle of Man are Crown Dependencies, so technically outside of the UK even though their governments rule in the name of the UK monarchy. That’s also why they aren’t members of the EU.

It’s worth pointing out that Guernsey currently doesn’t even have Civil Partnerships, let alone same-sex marriages. Although Jersey and the Isle of Man are roughly 5 years behind the UK in their LGBT laws they are at least moving in the right direction. Guernsey only equalised the Age of Consent in 2010, so is WAY behind the others.

3. bobbleobble 5 Feb, 10:30am

Just to clarify, Jersey and the Isle of Man are not actually part of the UK but are crown dependencies. Jersey only introduced Civil Partnerships in 2012, IoM in 2011 and Guernsey, the other crown dependency still doesn’t have them.

15. Great work by Tom French and The Equality Network, an excellent result for Scotland and for equality.

1. Equality Network 5 Feb, 10:38am

Thank you Pavlos! It’s important to add also that many organisations have worked together here on the campaign for marriage equality, including Equality Network / Scottish Transgender Alliance, LGBT Youth Scotland, Stonewall Scotland, Scottish Youth Parliament, NUS Scotland, the Humanist Society Scotland, Unitarians, Quakers to name just some, and thousands and thousands of individual supporters.

1. BennieM 5 Feb, 12:12pm

I second Pavlos’ thanks and congratulations! Everyone at the Equality Network should be proud of all the hard work you’ve put in over the years! While I also acknowledge the many other organisations and individuals who’ve helped, it’s the Equality Network who led on this issue and was the driving force behind it. I don’t think I’m being melodramatic when I say that without the Equality Network, we would not have been celebrating this fantastic achievement today. Well done, guys!

16. Congratulations, Scotland; this is great and very welcome news.

17. .....Paddyswurds 5 Feb, 11:31am

Congratulations Scotland. That just leaves the dinosaurs here in the north of Ireland to come dragging and creaming into the Twentieth century maybe even the twenty first. Are you and the rest of the moronic dinosaurs in the DUPe listening Robinson?

1. .....Paddyswurds 5 Feb, 11:33am

lol screamed ** . sorry for the Freudian slip there .

1. .....Paddyswurds 5 Feb, 11:34am

screaming ** even

18. George Broadhead 5 Feb, 11:48am

“Scotland will allow gender neutral and humanist ceremonies, unlike in England and Wales.”

Humanist wedding ceremonies for heterosexual couples are already legal in Scotland, unlike the rest of the UK, and celebrants of the Humanist Society of Scotland now conduct more of these than the Catholic Church.

1. BennieM 5 Feb, 12:03pm

Considering these religions have so few devotees these days, it’s shocking how much importance and influence they have in public life in Scotland. I think politicians and the media need to catch up with Scottish society in general when it comes to attitudes to religions.

19. 1Niagaran 5 Feb, 6:11pm

Is Scotland a country or a nation?
    The U.K. Is one country with 4 Nations….n’est-ce pas?