MSP John Mason accused of attempting to derail equal marriage bill with last-minute amendments

1. Dave North 3 Feb, 10:34am

Asshat.

If legislators brought in a 35% tax law for those on £25,000 and above, can I table an amendment so that those who disagree do not need to pay it.

I think not.

2. BennieM 3 Feb, 10:35am

If this amendment were to pass, it would mean that the same sex marriage bill (if passed as is expected) could not be brought into force until unreasonable changes are made to UK-wide equality laws by the UK government, which the UK government would be extremely unlikely to do.
    Maybe I’m being far too cynical, but by voting for this unreasonable amendment, we could end up with same sex marriage being used as a political football, Holyrood against Westminster, the UK government standing in the way of legislation passed democratically by the Scottish Parliament from being enacted.

Let’s hope MSPs see through this shameless attempt to stop Scottish marriage equality dead in it tracks. I sent an e-mail to my MSPs last night urging them to vote against this amendment.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 3 Feb, 12:39pm

I wouldn’t worry too much about this loon. He’s parroting Tory MPs and Lords who tried similar wrecking tactics but were all blown out of the water. He’s lying through his teeth when he claims they’re not wrecking amendments. Tory MP Tim Loughton in Parliament since the late 90s made an identical statement when he tried to push for hetero CPs in third reading but hadn’t even taken an interest prior to introduction of the marriage bill. Nasty bigots and liars.

It’s going to pass, Benny. Ignore the nutter, he won’t get much support.

1. BennieM 3 Feb, 2:06pm

Yes, you’re probably right , Robert. I just can’t help thinking the worst! I’m letting my imagine run away with itself, thinking that some people in the SNP might use this issue to gain advantage in the independence campaign.
        Assuming the Scottish Parliament votes for equal marriage, this amendment would effectively mean it couldn’t be enacted until Westminster meet unreasonable demands – which they wouldn’t do. It would be an ideal argument for the independence campaign.
        But I’m sure that no MSPs would stoop so low! Another 24 hours to go until we LGBT Scots have marriage equality! Btw, Robert, thanks for your support and encouragement on these threads!

3. glasgow1975 4 Feb, 4:17pm

my MSP sorry folks #Inevervotedforhim

1. BennieM 5 Feb, 4:50pm

You’ve no need to apologise if you never voted for him!