Coca-Cola bans the word ‘gay’ in new ad campaign – ‘Oops. Let’s pretend you didn’t just type that’

1. Just tried ‘Pepsi’. Also a naughty word.

1. They are also clearly paranoid about people using this to make statements about health – “calories”, “sugar”, “caffeine”, and “diabetes” are on the blacklist.

2. I got it to work using the old “lower case L” trick (PEPSl)

2. That is really offensive, especially the Oops bit. Also wont let me use Lesbian, but it will let me use LGBT or Pink News..

3. PantoHorse 26 Jan 2014, 1:03pm

Not allowed to use Putin either.

1. PantoHorse 26 Jan 2014, 1:04pm

It was the phrase ‘Putin Sucks’ it objected to. Putin on its own is fine.

4. Who wants to write ‘Gay’ on their coke can anyway?

1. who wants to print anything on their coke?
      who wants to drink liquid sugar and develop metabolic syndrome, the number one health scourge of the developed world?

2. Adele Magee 26 Jan 2014, 7:37pm

Somebody whose name is Gayle? Coca-Cola have lost the plot.

5. Christopher in Canada 26 Jan 2014, 1:22pm

Tap water is a wonderful thing in most places, and is all your body needs.

6. There’s lots of ‘gay’ words to try aren’t there?

What about ‘pink triangle’ or ‘poufta drink’ or ‘bigot juice’ – it would be nice to find a few which made lots of people sit up and think – something which Coke obviously does not do much of.

7. What if your first name is Gay?

8. To be fair, the only real faux pas Coca-Cola has made here is being stupid enough to launch another of these ‘personalise our products’ gimmicks. These things always cause controversy (didn’t one of the trainer firms do this a few years back?) because there’s always something the promoters haven’t thought of. In fairness to Coke, they’ve probably only banned the word ‘gay’ to stop people from using the word in the (much criticised by this website) derogatory sense as part of a longer phrase.

1. but I am having so much fun looking on this wet and drab Monday morning at all the variations of stupid names and slang they didn’t ban. Poor person in Marketing as this was a great idea, failed in execution …

2. Peter Duncan 27 Jan 2014, 10:07am

The use of the word Gay is the prime word for Gay people. Its derogatory use is very limited. Its still homophobic for Coke to do this and Coke should be boycotted for this alone! All Coke companies are guilty of Homophobia even if they weren’t in the past they are now!

9. Good thing we drink Pepsi in our house.

10. I buy Coca-Cola only to clean the loo – it dissolves limescale just like bleach, shudder to think what it does to human insides, why on earth do people still drink this stuff?

1. Because it tastes delicious? That’s certainly why I drink it!

1. That’s a matter of opinion. I think it tastes like sugar-loaded bile and can’t understand why any intelligent Human would want to put that in their body.

2. Wow, can’t someone even express their drink preference on here without being downvoted?! O.o

2. That’s the best thing to do with Coke/Pepsi along with McDonalds, KFC, Taco Bell etc, flush it down the loo and cut out the middle man.

3. That There Other David 26 Jan 2014, 8:42pm

Good for getting the brown marks off the inside of tea mugs too :)

11. It allowed me to go with “Может дерьма”, which according to Google translate is the Russian for ‘can of sh*t’.

1. Unfortunately может means ‘he/she/it can’, not ‘can of’ something. You mean бочка дерьма.

1. That one appears to work as well. :3

12. Well done to the students of Trinity College, Dublin, for banning the sale of C*** from campus.

13. When will they learn?
    Their marketing and promotional efforts are going to be constantly attacked, mocked and used to embarrass them at every opportunity now that they are officially sponsors of hatred and bigotry.

Any clever PR firm would have already told them to write the Sochi games off as a loss, and stop trying to repair the damage while digging the hole even deeper.

They failed to act when it was necessary, now they’re facing the consequences.

I’m going over there to try a few of my own…

“Sponsors of H8”
    “Can of H8”
    “Sugar + H8 = Coke”

I could spend hours having fun with this ;)

14. Coke thinks it is too big to fail – to big to be impacted by any protest from anyone. It has been around so long and survived so many world crisis with impunity, it is not longer at any risk.

See the arrogance.

15. I guess Gay Talese can’t print his own name on a can.

16. Christopher Coleman 26 Jan 2014, 7:37pm

Always hated Coke, ever since I was a child. I try to avoid their other products, too.

17. Paul Brownsey 26 Jan 2014, 7:49pm

Couldn’t it be that Coca-Cola was trying to eliminate the abusive use of “gay”, in which some people use it to mean “bad” or “lame”, and forgot the positive sense of the word? In other words, cock-up rather than bigotry?

1. It’s probably exactly what they were doing. Even to say it’s a cock up is a bit harsh. How many people are going to use “gay” on a can of coke in a positive sense or because it’s actually their name versus how many are going to use it for something more sinister.

18. That There Other David 26 Jan 2014, 8:44pm

So I can’t personalise one of these for my favourite American track sprinter?

Good job Adidas already sponsor him really…

19. 1 Queen Caroline Street
    W6 9HQ

Telephone: 0800 22 77 11
    Press: cocacolapressoffice@redconsultancy.com

1. Oh, credit to Rose for beating me to it, teaches me for not scrolling down in excitement. =P

20. Erica Cook 27 Jan 2014, 1:58am

Because I am contrary I tried it and tried asshole, and dick head. It didn’t like them either. Apparently they’ve decided gay is in the same catigory however you can type retarded. I think we have a problem here.

21. Well, gay is giver still a swear word for many people so I get where they’re coming from…

1. Peter Duncan 27 Jan 2014, 10:09am

Its still homophobic and Coke should be boycotted for this alone! All Coke companies are guilty of Homophobia even if they weren’t in the past they are now!

22. lets you have racist terms – such as Gwailo – a Cantonese phrase meaning white/foreign devil

23. Bayy Boy is acceptable!

24. Rug Muncher is acceptable too!

25. and poofta works….

26. When did the word ‘gay’ become offensive? Is every descriptive adjective inherently offensive nowadays? Banned from Russia and now banned from the side of coke bottles. Honestly, all this is a piss-poor effort to justify their spineless decision to continue supporting the Sochi Olympics. Not amused, Coca-Cola.

27. Stalin was okay. Homophobe was okay. And for the multi-lingual, it is not prepared for that forbidden word, or various forms thereof, in other languages than Afrikaans.

28. Gay is a surname. It is also a first name, both male and female.

29. Heretic Husband 29 Jan 2014, 7:14pm

This is a complete fiasco. I’m a web developer, and this is not only homophobic but poor web design. I wrote about it here: