Labour MEP Michael Cashman pays tribute to Stonewall CEO by applauding him for letting go

1. Mike Homfray 24 Jan, 2:36pm

Can we have reportage without comments please.?

You may think Stonewall should cover trans issues too, although I think trans groups are by no means united on whether this would really assist them , and you may not like the fact Ben presented what at that time was the Stonewall position on equal mariage (which I disagree with 100% incidentally, and was one of the many who told them so).

But Stonewall had a job to do and under both Angela Mason and Ben, they did that job very well

1. Colin (Queenstown/London) 24 Jan, 10:15pm

Well said…I agree.

1. Truestone 26 Jan, 6:24pm

Ben S’s tenure represented the worst of new labour lackey ass licking. An inabiliuty to strategise, engage and connect with the group he venally did a disservice to. I’m surprised he lasted this long.

2. From one privileged member of the establishment to another!

Surprisingly little has been said about Summerskill’s family and friends – certainly an influential chap!

1. Give him a break, Cynic. A man who couldn’t even complete a degree needs all the help he can get!

3. Imagine if Stonewall took up lobbying on trans issues and did it as effectively as they’ve championed bisexual equality over the years?

Of course it’s possible they already have done!

4. john lyttle 24 Jan, 4:55pm

What odious, innuendo laden and bitchy faux reporting in all the Summerskill pieces today – but then Pink News often unreasoning and oddly queeny hatred/tragic obsession and unearned condescension towards Summerskill has been an irritation and weakness of what passes for journalism here for years. (Did he and Ben Cohen clash at some point?) Whatever, by any objective measure Summerskill has presided over Stonewall’s most successful and influential period, all the while juggling the snake pit complexities of politics, and gay politics in particular with its entrenched opinions, hysterics parading as purity, and vested interests. When Pink News one day gets its site to work smoothly for even a decent period of time THEN it can legitimately do one of its hissy fit numbers on the ongoing Stonewall Chief. Until then, stop with the petty sniping and tabloid smears (why mention the Stonewall accounts and who gets paid what unless its to suggest freeloading or worse). Low life stuff.

1. Hi Ben

5. Colin (Queenstown/London) 24 Jan, 10:21pm

john lyttle

Thank goodness you said this. I am feeling depressed at the hissy fits from people who should know better and that includes founders and the new Chief Exec.

All it does is make me stay away from the petty bunch who destroy instead of build. A very British attribute. We may be gay but we are certainly very different.

6. It’s an odd way to praise an outgoing chief exec, but like Fanshawe he’s on the money.

Summerskill rode the wave. His key success: not falling off earlier.

7. Michael 26 Jan, 4:29pm

It’s worth remembering that Stonewall was founded to privatize gay campaigning. Hitherto, lesbians and gays in democratic organizations like the Gay Liberation Front and the Campaign for Homosexual Equality had chosen their objectives and their methods for achieving them. But Stonewall’s founders believed the left was obstructive and that a small professional organization would be more “efficient” so they raised more than £1m and bought the ear of Parliament. Thus we had a handful people deciding to oppose civil partnerships on Monday and support them on Tuesday. And CHE withered and died with no function left for it. With no important national legislation left to achieve since the introduction of same-sex marriage and the resignation of the last gay Tsar, now might be a good time to disband Stonewall. But with people earning money from campaigning I can’t see it happening.

8. Truestone 26 Jan, 6:28pm

9. Before I has a public profile, I attended a party where the great and good of Stonewall were in attendance. These were the days before Summersilll. It was a group marked with exclusivity then and I found it inaccessible to the point of feeling exclusion. Much later, when this group engaged with me, I was unsurprised at how much narcissistic, low self esteem that flowed forth, requiring celebrity rather than good work to drive its objectives. I’m not sorry I chose to not interact with this group, instead, I support lgbt youth through other advocacy and direct action groups.
    Ben S’s tenure represented the worst of new labour lackey licking. An inabiliuty to strategise, engage and connect with the group he venally did a disservice to. I’m surprised he lasted this long.

10. More of the same from Stonewall. I just happen to be reading Jarman’s diaries _Smiling in Slow Motion_ at the moment and he, like many of us, had the measure of Stonewall from the beginning.