US: Catholic school president resigns after ‘firing’ vice principal for being in a same-sex marriage

1. Midnighter 22 Jan, 3:24pm

Since the principal is only a pawn of the Church, it remains to be seen whether this sacrificial lamb’s exit actually results in the teacher’s reinstatement and compensation.

I would like to think that this was a tacit admission that a mistake has been made where fanatical adherence to dogma has subverted fairness and common decency.

Only time will tell if this is anything other than a PR exercise in damage limitation.

1. Philip Breen 22 Jan, 9:11pm

Absolutely. This religious sister was probably bullied or ordered to do what she did by the diocesan authorities and, as is now obvious, has been made a sacrificial lamb. The buck stops with the bishop of the diocese. In fact, the only reason they even care about what they have done, is because of the Pope Francis effect which accentuates their bad publicity.

2. This is remarkable. He’s resigned as a result of so many protests. Looks like the church is rapidly losing the battle ……

1. He? I think Sister Mary Tracy might be a she (at least, with a name like that I hope so).

1. Hhaha. Who knows what goes on under those frocks? I should’ve gone to Spec savers

3. CH Brighton 22 Jan, 4:03pm

Is this a private catholic school or is it providing education on a contract to the state? If the latter, then the state’s equality legislation is surely binding on all parties. And even if not, the man has done nothing illegal. As for catholic teaching being part of the employee’s contract, how do the Principal and Governors police what goes on in the private lives of their staff? If it is only teachers who are open about their lives who are disciplined, then all the church’s policy will do is promote hypocrisy.

1. Midnighter 22 Jan, 6:37pm

Even ENDA would contain exemptions for religious institutions, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the individual states have a similar exemption.

As far as promoting hypocrisy, I agree. Having said that, they’ve already gone beyond the pale by suggesting that he divorce his husband! Even ignoring the Church’s views on divorce, it seems unbelievable that anyone could so completely lack compassion and empathy as to suggest such a thing as a “compromise”.

4. Colin (Queenstown/London) 22 Jan, 6:40pm

What a wonderful principled woman Sister Mary tracy is. I respect this woman enormously. This must have been very difficult for her and I wish her well and that she is happy.

I am not religious and never will be. However I was brought up as a catholic. At 23 I went to NZ to work and my first client was the Sisters Of Mercy in Wellington. I was there for 2 weeks. During this time I had morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea with about 40 nuns. Eventually one asked me what religion I was. I was honest and told her I had given religion up. She laughed and said you know if god does not exist I have wasted my whole life. She was a lovely Kiwi woman.

I cannot see any good in religion that an ordinary community centre should be able to provide but there are good people with religion and I respect them.

1. Philip Breen 22 Jan, 9:22pm

I don’t have a problem with your 2nd or 3rd paragraphs. Live and let live. Nonetheless, your first paragraph troubles me. Even if the sisters disapprove of certain choices in life, they must factor in the fallout that, nowadays, is inevitable if they make an example of people. I know the argument that explains that people employed in catholic schools should live as catholics, and I understand why catholics would say that. However, there is never an excuse for treating people badly. Another solution to the perceived dilemma could have been sought were it to have been established that the vice-president had not intended to make propaganda out of his civil partnership, or whatever you can contract in the state where he is.

2. BlokeToys 23 Jan, 12:53pm

“there are good people with religion and I respect them.”

I have tried and tried to remind myself of this fact repeatedly, over and over again. I know it’s true.
      However, the organizations are hateful, and people who choose to remain involved in hateful organizations should not be forgiven.

For me, it’s almost like saying “not all those involved in the BNP are violent racists”. It doesn’t matter, they are all supportive of an organization that is bigoted, hateful, delusional and (in my opinion) dangerous, when they do not have to be.

They CHOOSE to represent and be involved with an organized group which regularly attacks and abuses millions of other Humans on a daily basis, whether it be in instances like this one or the actual physical violence against LGBT in African states, Russia, or the Middle East.

Regardless of the brand of religion, they do not have to support such an organization of hate and intolerance, yet they choose to, and that makes them morally void.

5. Hue-Man 22 Jan, 10:14pm

This will be spun by the gay-hating grifters as “attack on religion” by homosexual activfists. Just like the bakeries who refuse to sell wedding cakes to gay couples, the catholic church is creating its own problems. If marriage equality is the law in a state or a country, what exactly is to be gained by firing a competent educator because she or he gets married? For example, if you’re a male chemistry teacher, how often would you have reason to mention your husband? Once your students know that you’re married, what are they going to do with that information – join the local Glee Club?!

I don’t accept the argument that if you don’t aggressively attack everything you don’t agree with, then you’re tacitly approving the behaviour. If I’d applied that thinking over my career, I would have fired anyone who was so mentally ill as to believe in religion!

6. US: Catholic school president resigns after homo-lobby rainbow Sturmabteilung intimidation and social media propaganda , all for dismissing vice principal for not upholding Catholic teaching and partaking in a pseudo-marriage parody .

1. Thanks for the laughs.

7. Fr John 23 Jan, 12:11pm

Reading this post, I don’t understand why the Vice Principal could not be allowed to do as another teacher. Be given a new contract that did not oblige him to follow every letter of Roman Catholic teaching.

The College is obviously a much poorer place with the lose of both the vice principal, and principal.. Both of who are good people, and should be allowed to work together, respecting each others opinions.