Final vote date of Scotland’s equal marriage bill announced

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Jan, 12:03pm

A far better bill than the one south of the border. Westminster should have rejected the spousal veto and I suspect this will now mean the government will have to re-visit the issue, in addition to Humanist weddings which are supposed to be reviewed at a later date.

2. Well done everyone!

I must say, until this bill, I’d never heard of the spousal veto – what a bizarre and cruel measure!

1. Robert in S. Kensington 22 Jan, 1:27pm

It was given a lot of airing during Committee hearings but rejected unfortunately as were Humanist weddings. A very unwise decision especially now that Scotland has gone in the other direction. I see implications ahead for the England/Wales legislation. Sooner or later it’s going to face an amendment, no question about it.

3. Equality Network 22 Jan, 12:29pm

You can email your MSPs (if you live in Scotland) to ask them to vote for the equal marriage bill on 4th Feb, or (if you don’t live in Scotland) the Scottish Parliamentary party leaders, here:

1. I wish we who are of Scottish decent but not Scottish could voice our support. There are probably more Scots-Americans and Scots-Australians than Scots in Scotland. My grandparents came to America from Scotland.

4. It’s great that Scotland will soon have this and equality won’t be limited to England and Wales. It’s a further poke in the eye for all the demented haters of homosexual and bisexual people and also those who I suspect of a rather sad self-hatred like The Provands Lordship and Taysider on Stormfront Britain.

1. That There Other David 23 Jan, 11:00am

And the DUP in Northern Ireland, who still need to be dealt with.

5. BennieM 22 Jan, 3:32pm

Really good news! Given the majority who voted in favour of equal marriage at stage 1, I don’t really expect any problems.

All but one of my 8 MSPs voted in favour of equal marriage at stage 1 – one was absent, but he says he supports it. I can’t see any of them changing their minds, and it would be very unlucky, not to mention very coincidental, for the same MSP to have other commitments a second time. So I fully expect all 8 of my MSPs to vote in favour.

6. Could it be a case of ‘Sandbags at dawn’ on 5 Feb in Scotland as UKIP predicts widespread biblical flooding north of the border.

7. Darren Waite 23 Jan, 6:57am

The bill is being voted on my birthday. Now all I need is a man :-)

8. FINALLY! SCOTLAND, first, in 2014! Luxembourg NEXT! Congratulations in advance Scotts! GREAT JOB! One of the strongest marriage equality bills in the world. Greetings from the Philippines