Newly appointed Spanish cardinal: Homosexuality is a ‘deficiency’ that can be cured

1. Do we have that on the best authority?

2. bobbleobble 20 Jan, 4:10pm

So much dogmatic nonsense and hatred flowing from someone claiming to be welcoming and kind.

And if it’s deficient to manifest one’s human sexuality by having gay sex then what is it to deny your sexuality completely by living a celibate life?

1. Or to be so mentally deficient that you believe a set of bizarre and internally inconsistent tales about magic.

2. Midnighter 20 Jan, 4:37pm

Spot on. Add to that the absurdity of the delusion the many others: that one’s religion understands the “true” morality of sexual behaviour while belonging to a religion embroiled in tens of thousands of child abuse scandals, perverting the course of justice to protect the abusers and a wealth of other atrocities (such as the case in the Netherlands of castrating boys in care as means of hushing up abuse and as ostensible “treatment”).

For this man to ignore the scientific findings on this issue is sheer stupidity. His claim to know better is utterly disgusting hypocrisy.

3. Seems like he needs to undergo treatment to his head.

4. Darren Yehuda 20 Jan, 4:29pm

Supidity is a deficiency that cannot be cured!

5. I was chatting with god just the other day actually (proof not needed because I say it’s the case). He told me on reflection he no longer considers gay people to be deficient at all, but that he still considers pedophiles to be very deficient.

1. That There Other David 20 Jan, 4:52pm

Can’t have been god you were talking to. He would have reminded you at least twice that he brought you out of Egypt and that turning away from him would result in (insert 25 pages of bad stuff here). Oh, and you’d probably have to go smite some people or something. Remember to kill a few innocent children too. He’s really big on infanticide is god. Might be why his representatives on Earth see children as their personal playthings who don’t mean much.

6. He probably has trouble thinking what sex really means considering he has never had it and being a prospective Cardinal should choose his words more carefully .. after all being celibat is not exactly being Straight

1. That There Other David 20 Jan, 4:53pm

LOL. Why would you assume a Catholic priest would be a virgin?

7. Wrong – Homosexuality is a pre determined biological state – However, superstition or religion as these con men call it is a lifestyle choice that seeks to brainwash innocent vulnerable children by teaching bigotry and tribalism – Now that can be cured – it’s called education and evolution

1. R Smith 21 Jan, 10:05pm

“Homosexuality is a pre determined biological state ”

There is no evidence of that, it is not understood why homosexuality occurs.

Homosexual men are no different biologically than heterosexual men. ALL men are equipped with bodies which are physically and biologically ordered towards sexual intercourse with a female person.

8. his comments give ME high blood pressure.. best I ignore him and his dogma. silly old git.

9. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Jan, 5:17pm

The church cannot change the demands of morality? Since when has it been a moral authority on anything give it’s track record?

10. Oh crap Another whining closet-case. The ONLY way anyone can assert that being gay can be ‘cured’ is if they themselves have undergone a ‘cure’. You cannot possibly state this otherwise. So, if this old fossil says it can be cured, it’s because he’s managed to suppress his natural sexuality. Or perhaps he hasn’t …… and struggles with it every day of his life – like so many others who have been told by religion that God wants them to be straight. These people are an evil in the world. They lie .. and talk self-delusional nonsense for their own ends. And being celibate is hardly without deficiency, is it?

11. worry about bringing before the courts all the boy abusers the church as protected before worrying about gay people – another dumbo for the church

12. whoops how old is this 84 surprised his not pushing up daisies -mind you not long

13. James Campbell 20 Jan, 5:27pm

Here we go again …. Another half-witted ‘authority’ on sexuality with an opinion based on ….. errr ? Homosexuality is no more a ‘disease’ than heterosexuality. It cannot be ‘cured’, it is NOT contagious and does not pose a threat to children. I could name several manifestations of human behaviour that do require treatment and homosexuality is not one of them (I speak as a straight man with a gay brother).

1. Exactly. Homosexuality and bisexuality are completely normal and natural VARIANTS of human sexuality which has always been varied. How many times do people need to be told this scientific fact before they finally ‘get it’?

14. Keith in SALFORD 20 Jan, 5:37pm

What an oaf..!

As I have described, to the point of nausea on these pages over the last 10 years, I had exactly the same tripe given to me as a seminarian in the early 1960’s.

I also was told by my tutor in the particular religious order that I had joined as a boy of 15 that I was sick, that I should seek the help of the Lord ”spiritually” for this ‘disease’ and ”actively” – in the shape of a particular doctor in Liverpool, who would administer electric therapy and etc etc et bleeding cetera.

NOTHING CHANGES does it, with that barmy bunch of Tom Hunts…!

I went home from the seminary and went to Mass the following Sunday as a good catholic boy but got up half way thro’ that Mass and walked out of the church (building) and out of the Church (institution/cult) because of that advice.

That was 1961; I was 18 and I have never been inside a church since.

(Will bore you all further in a moment..)

Keith
    SALFORD

15. The catholic church is a “virus” that like all viruses, needs to be eradicated. Oh, and there’s no cure

16. Christopher Coleman 20 Jan, 5:38pm

It must be very comforting and ego confirming to be in a profession that allows you to say anything daft in public and be taken seriously by your followers and fans. I might have had a career in the Church, but for my likeness to the little boy in the story about the emperor’s new clothes.

17. Mike UK 20 Jan, 5:39pm

Now that’s the Catholicism we all know. No beating around the bush, pretending to be mildly gay friendly, like the current leader’s doing.
    Unlike homosexuality which is a genetic trait, religion and bigotry CAN be cured. And the cure for both those is just good old unfiltered, unbiased evidence based information. A long time enemy of the church.

18. Mike UK 20 Jan, 5:41pm

Hah, a paedophile organisation talking about ‘curing’ other people, healthy, normal, homosexual, people

19. Keith in SALFORD 20 Jan, 5:49pm

(Keith in SALFORD.
    (Continuation of my diatribe).

Now in my dotage, I have slowly realised that I never believed in any of it in the first place even as a child.
    I went to an Irish Christian (???..hahaha) Brothers catholic grammar school.
    Hated rugby; hated P.E.
    Hopeless at most of it because I was always in fear of the strap; 24 lashes I got in the course of one day from them bar stewards.

BUT I gained ‘kudos’ in a cheating sort of way because I was pious; always in chapel with my beads in my hand; served on the altar almost every day etc etc.
    So I was left alone and the more I was left alone, the more ‘holier than thou’ did I become.

It came as no surprise to these bar stewards when, at 15, i.e. as soon as I could get away from them, I announced that I was off to a religious order and hoped to become a priest.

Then as I said, a few years down the line at 18, I then tell the tutor I am ‘homosexually inclined” and ”bye bye” seminary.

Keith in SALFORD

20. Keith in SALFORD 20 Jan, 6:07pm

Keith in SALFORD.
    (Last part of the diatribe, I promise..!)
    Now at 70+ I realise that I never believed in any of it.
    I only ‘observed’ because it got me the name ”Good Catholic Boy” and therefore left pretty much alone by the Irish Christian (hahahaha!!!) Neanderthals.
    I do not believe in angels at midnight; nor virgin births; nor Adam and Eve and their Original Sin and therefore I do not believe in sin; nor baptism; nor Redeemers; nor Immaculate this nor Sacred that.
    If you discount the Garden of Eden, then the rest of the guff just evaporates.
    None of it; all my eye and Betty Martin.
    All manufactured concepts by power crazed men specifically geared tor the parting of the gullible from their penny down the centuries, at the weekly traipse to attend Sunday Mass.
    This Francis?
    Fond of cold-calling is he?
    Give me a call, Papa, and I guarantee you’ll not be able to call me again because you will hang up on me at the end of our ‘tete a tete’, with tinnitus.
    Keith
    SALFORD.

21. allancsn 20 Jan, 7:04pm

In what other ‘profession’ do you get a promotion – I suspect a wage rise and a bigger house – a seat on the board (non voting at 84) and a glamorous new wardrobe at his age, I love all that crimson and lace hand stitched by ancient arthritic nuns I hope and the hats and tassles and the hand made slipper shoes and the mmmmm getting delirious much like him. Mad bas****d.

22. Colin (Queenstown/London) 20 Jan, 7:21pm

Anyone who believes in religion especially catholicism has a deficiency. Try living in the real world rather than a made up one.

Get religion off this planet…please

1. The Catholic Church in particular and the Church of England ect should make a fulsome apology to gays and bisexuals for all of the hundreds of years of hatred they have helped to heap upon gays and bisexuals and all because of a belief in an imaginary sentinent being in the sky! Humans have a lot to answer for sometimes.

23. rapture 20 Jan, 7:39pm

Another of (pope)franco’s chosen henchmen. Are some people still so naïve that they actually believe the pope’s pr machine?

24. Well, I”m bi, atheist, AND I have hypertension? What does his eminence say about that?

25. dtnorth 20 Jan, 8:18pm

This man who has followed doctrine as a confirmed life long w@nker has the temerrity to call us deficient in the name of his belief in a load of bullsh!t.

Dear Sir. There is a headstone with your name on it.

“Can you hear the drums Fernando?”

Abba. How apt.

26. Keith in SALFORD 21 Jan, 5:00am

To focus simply on the statement by this cardinal that ”homosexuals are deficient” is to dwell on only half of the story.
    Equating homosexuality to his own high blood pressure, Cardinal Fernando Sebastián told the Spanish newspaper Diario Sur on Monday that: “Homosexuality is a defective manner of expressing sexuality, because [sex] has a structure and a purpose, which is procreation.
    “A homosexual who can’t achieve this (procreation) is failing,” he said.

Cardinal Tonto, I did not choose my homosexuality; you CHOSE your celibacy.

What utter rot..!
    I wish I had the courage to go to Mass on Sunday (for the first time in over 50 years) – at Salford Cathedral, here, pull my keggies down on the high altar and dump Saturday nite’s pizza, fried eggs and chips and 6 lagers all over the, show, ; I am so incensed.

Trouble is….I am over 70, don’t walk so fast, so wouldn’t get far.
    Nor do I eat pizza, fried eggs or chips and am teetotal….!

Keith.
    SALFORD

27. Corrective treatment clearly cured Cardinal Fernando Aguilar and turned him into a celibate vegetable crossed with a parrot, he could probably regurgitate a few old Beach Boys songs, with a Californian accent even, if you played them to him often enough.

28. Keith in SALFORD 21 Jan, 8:04am

The whole point about getting so angry and upset about clowns like this is not so much for myself. I am over 70 now and couldn’t give a sheet for religion and respect none of these self-appointed guardians of morality, who by the way, have amply shown themselves to be anything but.
    The point is that it makes it impossible for a teenager to come to terms with a sexuality that has suddenly manifested itself at puberty in 2014.
    To whom do they turn?
    To knuckle-dragging R-soles like this moribund old codger?
    Go away and die, you stupid old cretin.
    You are not helping, to put it mildly.
    You are still of the Ratzinger mindset that condemns and lectures and regulates and that in direct contrast to your new man in the white soutane who has himself said that the Catholic Church has obsessed for far too long over what goes on in people’s pants and bedrooms and needs to concentrate on the poor and marginalised as would, as did, Jesus.

Keith
    SALFORD

29. Keith in SALFORD 21 Jan, 8:32am

…and it is loaf-heads like this, sitting in their grace and favour ivory towers in Rome in their crimson silk and lace outfits and pointy hats who are directly to blame for the bullying that goes on in schools and in workplaces; bullying and worse.
    You can hear the taunts now, ” You’re a deficient, a retard cos you’re gay. Cardinal Paella says so, so it must be so ”

This Cardinal Lumphead needs to be told to button it by Francis and rapid.
    I am incensed at this because in my own experience, as I have narrated a dozen times before on these pages, this has been going on for 50+ years and of course going on for a lot longer than that.
    It needs addressing or shut the lot down in this country.
    Be tolerant or be closed down.

Are you listening too, Cardinal Vincent Nichols..?

Keith.
    SALFORD

30. 84 and high blood pressure? He won’t be around long.