US politician: ‘Homosexuality is not a civil right, it’s a human wrong’

1. Mike UK 17 Jan, 7:44pm

Oh, so being homosexual is a choice? Tell you what. Why don’t you go gay for a year. Show all us ‘homos’ how easy it is to ‘choose’ our sexuality.
    That said, even if sexuality was a choice, so what? There’s nothing wrong with being gay – choice or no choice.

1. That is a good suggestion. These nutters never give homosexuality or bisexuality a good crack of the whip and give it a try for a few weeks. Have these people NO sense of human intuition or logic at all? If being gay was a conscious choice then it would be irrational behaviour seeing as most people wish to find a partner for life and as there are so many fewer gays in the population than there are straight people the the most rational course of action would be to choose to be straight.

1. The sad thing is, I think most of these homophobes *have* given homosexuality a good try… these gits are forever being outed with rentboys, or whatever.

I wonder what madam is hiding.

1. Yep. Deep, deep, down inside, Sally Kern is just aching to lick pussy like it’s the best cream in the world!

Let it out, Sally! Let it out, girl!

2. Of course it is a choice. I bought my sexual orientation on eBay.

2. Frankly, the USA disturbs me. There are so MANY complete wacko jobs in that country. How in the hell is ANYONE’s sexuality a conscious and wiling ‘choice’. I don’t remember God or somebody else coming into my bedroom when I was a teenage boy and saying to me, ‘Son, what sexuality do you want to be? I will give you three choices! You can be completely homosexual, bisexual or completely straight!.

Science has proved that whatever the exact causes of sexual orientation in human beings it ISN’T a free choice. Why doesn’t this stupid woman look-up the science of epi-genetics and homosexuality on google?

1. “Why doesn’t this stupid woman look-up the science,…”

You answered your own question, it’s because she’s stupid.

1. Says she’s “stupid” helps us feel better about this goon, but the fact is that poor little Sally Kern is ill. She’s brainwashed. She’s actually crying out for treatment.

I dream of the day when the ambulance and police will turn up at the doors of Sally Kerns and say, “Come on, love. Pack a little bag. We’re taking you into hospital. The doctors and nurses are going to make you better!”

1. It would be even better if she got the treatment thanks to “ObamaCare” or some other so-called ‘socialist’ healthcare system that wasn’t based on corporate profiteering.

2. Zeke Krahlin 17 Jan, 8:11pm

Even is homosexuality were a choice, it still shouldn’t be anyone’s business.

3. Mihangel apYrs 18 Jan, 10:50am

you/we make the mistake of assuming that the USA is a first world country just because it is rich, powerful and speaks a form of English.

It is actually in many places little better than the remote villages in African countries – right down exorcisms!

Who in their right mind would choose to be gay in the face of the prejudice and violence we face?

3. Zeke Krahlin 17 Jan, 7:56pm

Homophobia in the US and other nations is becoming more brazen thanks to the example set by Russia.

1. Or …
      Homophobia in Russia and other nations is becoming more brazen thanks to the example set by the US.

The danger is that homophobia spreads as a transnational norm.
      Enlightened countries have to set the example.

4. Chris B 17 Jan, 8:03pm

Peddling ignorance is the real human wrong here, lady.

5. bobbleobble 17 Jan, 8:04pm

I do love it when those who have such a casual relationship with the truth as this woman accuse others of lying!

Also someone needs to take these Republican goons back to high school so they can have the constitution explained to them again. It doesn’t matter that people voted, they voted for something which, according to two federal judges so far, is a breach of the constitution and therefore cannot stand. It’s not hard but then these are not the sharpest tools in the box.

6. Christopher in Canada 17 Jan, 9:03pm

In America, fact is trumped by opinion. They call it “Free Speech”.

1. Thanks – your point is a really interesting perspective. I had not thought about this way before.

7. Midnighter 17 Jan, 9:13pm

’ You tell a lie long enough, people start to believe it.”
    Well I guess the politician wife of a baptist pastor would know all about the efficacy of persistent lying.

8. Antonio 17 Jan, 9:14pm

I thought America was the land of the free. But isn’t weird that this country is still so stuck in a an institutionalized racism, sexism, ageism, classism, colorism and now homophobia. America will never have equal oppurtunities. Black men are still labeled as thugs and criminals. Black women as welfare/food stamp angry women, white women as blonde haired bimbos/gold diggers, white men as racist pigs and gays as AIDS infected scum so welcome to America, home of the free and fair/equal treatment of all people yet women didn’t receive civil rights until 90 years ago, Blacks until 50 years ago and Native Americans until 30 years ago. Gays are becoming more accepted but it’ll take more than a few politiciabs to chanfe anything.

9. I’m tired of these stereotypically “pretty” long-haired, perfect-toothed, all-American heterosexual women telling us homosexual folk that we are “a human wrong”, that we’re unnatural, that we’re sick! I’m sick to death of them!

Sally Kern is Christian Republican loon. She actually BELIEVES she’s carrying out the will of a supernatural friend. She’s deluded. She’s ill. She’s sick. She should be forcibly taken into psychiatric care and be subjected to intense treatment and readjustment.

1. atalanta 17 Jan, 9:54pm

Pretty? I’m going to guess you’re a Kinsey 6, Eddy! Or are you thinking of Sandy Rios?

Not that women should be reduced to their looks. We should stick to commenting on Mrs Kern’s qualities in the areas that really matter, such as “Grasp of reality” and “Ability to string together a comprehensible sentence”.

10. atalanta 17 Jan, 9:48pm

Hello, Mrs Kern! How I’ve missed your pronouncements, which so succinctly epitomise the American conservative movement. Rationality, integrity, sanity – all qualities captivatingly absent from your remarks. And what soundbites! Have you considered a career in Nigerian politics?

Honestly, I’m surprised you’re still with us. I feared you might keel over in shock when the courts resurrected a case most of us thought dead and buried. I guess in Oklahoma, elderly things often live on past their anticipated expiration date.

The Honorable Terence Kern was the judge in the marriage case; I believe he is no relation. What a missed opportunity for Thanksgiving conversation! I can only imagine how Judge Kern would respond to the constitutional law doctrine outlined by you and Mr Lankford. What’s the word to describe your gleeful rejection of the US constitution? Un-American? Treasonous? Socialist?

Or do you only call it that when a Democrat objects to a constitutional judgement?

11. The “choice” debate is a red herring. So what if it IS a choice? Shouldn’t we have the freedom to make that choice for ourselves. People choose to be Christians. They choose which sports teams to support. They choose to eat junk food. They choose to smoke and drink. They choose have children. So WHAT if it IS a choice. Our civil rights are there to protect us from discrimination against someone who might dislike us because of their choice. It’s this woman’s choice to be a stupid bigot – or maybe she was just born that way.

12. You know what is a choice? Religion!!! Noone is born christian or islamic or jew!! Sally kern is at par with michelle bachmann, peter king, louie ‘gumby’ ghomert when it comes to intelligence: she ain’t got none!

13. Tim Hanafin 17 Jan, 10:34pm

Yet another religionist moron talking crap that she knows NOTHING about

14. So is she saying we choose to be Gay to be subversive or anarchist or what?
    If she is so convinced then tell me why we did choose to be Gay.I would like to know because I can’t honestly remember the reason.

1. That There Other David 18 Jan, 11:09am

Satan, of course. It always comes down to Satan with these loons.

15. What is her problem? Jeez! It’s too easy to say she’s a closet lesbian but what other reason can there be for her constant interest?

16. The twat is losing the fight and it’s making her crazy.

17. Perhaps Ms Kern should have a look at her own state’s capitol building, which like so many state capitols is of classical ancient European design. Male homosexuality was accepted in both ancient Rome and ancient Greece, albeit with certain caveats, around the social status of the older and younger person, none of which detracted from the principle of acceptance. Both these societies managed to develop arts and architecture, over centuries, which have remained influential up until the present day (2002 at any rate, which is when the dome was put on the Oklahoma capitol building). This would seem to disprove Ms Kern’s assertion that societies accepting homosexuality only last a few decades.

18. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Jan, 12:53am

My dear brothers and sisters, we already have our own version of Sally Kearns, one Andrea Minichiello Williams of Christian Concern/Anglican Mainstream who strongly endorses recriminalisation of homosexuality and recently urged the Jamaican government to pursue harsher laws. I’ve no doubt in my mind she endorses the recent laws in Russia, Nigeria, Uganda and elsewhere. We all have to be vigilant that these right wing religious Tory loons don’t get the upper hand, especially those in both houses of Parliament.

19. End Human Suffering – BAN RELIGION

20. That There Other David 18 Jan, 11:07am

Hardly Oscar Wilde is she? Sadly, she was probably really proud of herself for that weak play on words.

21. hmmmm I have one we should put out just to see people’s reaction… “let’s round up all homophobes, forcefully, condemn them without trial, because as everybody knows it’s a CHOICE, and say hang them all?” Probably the best service done to this planet in its long history.

22. Aryugaetu 18 Jan, 1:01pm

I’m not all all surprised what my fellow Americans believe:

6% believe in unicorns.
    18% still believe the sun revolves around the Earth. (Seriously! Nearly 1 in 5.)
    18%, to this very day, believe the president is a Muslim.
    24% believe dinosaurs and man hung out together. (I can’t explain this, the “Flintstones” cartoons ended in the late 60’s.)
    30% believe cloud computing involves actual clouds.
    36% believe in UFOs.

40 years ago, newspapers were written for a 6th grade reading level. Today, US tv news is written for a 5th grade (a 10 yr old) level and attention span. Based on global education standings, it would be closer to a 3rd grade reading level in 1970’s.

Five-thirds of all Americans are bad with fractions.

You’ve heard of “political asylum”, is there a way I can get “social asylum” in England if my country is being overrun by the socially and mentally insane? I’d scrub a pub floor with a toothbrush for 5 years to get a UK work permit.

1. hehe, five thirds… you made my day

23. For anyone to claim, with such conviction, that being gay is a ‘choice’ proves they themselves must have made – not to be gay. This woman obviosly has issues with her own sexuality and has ‘chosen’ to suppress her ‘god-given’ sexuality. My advice to people like her would he, ‘Come out. You’ll be a lot happier instead of remaining the frustrated old dame you are’.

24. Sally Kern is not a member of the religious right, she’s a member of the religious wrong.
    When dealing with infantile types like Sally Kern it’s best to keep it plain and simple

25. david skinner 18 Jan, 4:32pm

I ask only one thing can someone name ten, nay five or even one peer reviewed scientist who has come up with definitive scientific evidence to show that either homosexuality or heterosexuality are genetic and immutable? Don’t bother with Simon Le Vay or Michael Bailey; their methodology was discredited by the scientific world. And please do not give me cod scientists like Richard Dawkins. Please do not disappoint me with silence.

26. david skinner 18 Jan, 4:39pm

Blue, I don’t hide behind silly names, but I shall keep a record of your comment. Indeed I have noticed others on Pink News, like Scott Rose even, who have become so confident and reckless in their inciting hatred and violence, that they think, like you, that they can get way with blue murder.

27. floridahank 18 Jan, 5:16pm

Here’s my views. Psychiatrists say, “once a gay, always a gay.” Are 100% homosexuals happy about their sexual preferences? Is it possible that some homosexuals are truly unhappy with their sexual orientation and would like to be heterosexual, but have no hope from the medical establishment, because it’s” totally inborn and cannot be changed?” Are there any scientific studies that prove this “fact?” Human sexuality is a very complex activity and there’s no 100% proof that it cannot be totally altered. Human sexuality is in its infancy trying to understand homosexuality, heterosexuality, bisexuality and trans-sexuality No qualified scientist would ever make a statement that 100% of a person’s sexuality is unalterable because there are no definitive studies showing this. If bisexuals can enjoy both sexes, what gives them this option that is not available to homos and heteros?

1. As there are so many unknowns as you point out floridahank, you will agree that it is therefore premature and dangerous to presume it was safe to attempt to try and change a persons sexual orientation through conversion therapy until further data from legitimate studies comes in.

2. Midnighter 19 Jan, 3:26pm

“Are 100% homosexuals happy about their sexual preferences?”
      If they aren’t, why not? Answer: religious bullies.

“Are there any scientific studies that prove this “fact?”
      That’s two “facts” actually. Yes. All the current evidence supports it is inborn AND that it cannot be changed. The position regarding the second point may change as we learn more about the former.

there’s no 100% proof that it cannot be totally altered
      A fallacy (shifting the goalposts): what level of proof would you consider “100%”? The current science supports this premise, that’s all we can say with certainty.

FYI: where religion claims to have all the answers without substantiation, science claims only to know that which it can substantiate.

There are still large numbers of unregulated snake-oil salesmen in the field of “therapy”, with Christian “therapists” making money out of those very people who their religion has harmed.

28. “Studies show that no society that has totally embraced homosexuality has lasted more than, you know, a few decades,” what studies ? Which society’s ?

1. The one’s scribbled in Sarah Palin’s notebook perhaps.

1. And notable mostly for the errors in spelling and grammar…

29. Christopher Coleman 18 Jan, 5:33pm

Dear Sally proves that “older and wiser” is not always so.

30. Mrs Kern. Adjust your bigoted attitude. Do research with real people and find out the facts. I was born a human being like everyone else. I did not make myself gay. IT IS THE WAY I AM. I am 72 years old, I am not a pervert, I suffered through lack of understanding as did many Gay people of my age. Do not make the younger generations have to go through the torment that we had to. LGBT are real people not perverts. Why do you think you are entitled to make such aggressive critasisms, when you do not know what you are talking about/

31. “You tell a lie long enough, people start to believe it.” That’s right. If you lie long enough about gay people being paedophiles, dangerous, evil and choosing to be gay, lots of people will believe it.

32. David Skinner 18 Jan, 7:39pm

Floridahank, I ask you, if I may, which psychiatrists? If the record of the number of homosexual celebrities who apparently have it all, public acceptance and the money, and yet commit suicide, take to drugs, die early because of sexually transmitted diseases or suffer from depression, is anything to go by, then homosexuality is not a happy condition to wish on anyone. I would agree with you human sexuality is an extremely complex and mysterious matter and something to be thankful for. How dull if humans were like some amoeba who simply reproduce through splitting.
    There appear to be three groups of homosexual: those who wish to change and do so; those who wish to but are unable; and those who have no desire to change. It is the latter who I believe are the most antagonistic and in denial about the fact there are people who change, simply because they feel threatened.

33. David Skinner 18 Jan, 7:41pm

Consequently those who change, either because it occurs naturally and they grow out of it, or because they are assisted by an outside agency, a friend, or counsellor, are silenced by a media that is dominated by homosexuals. To leave homosexuality is likened to leaving Islam. It is not tolerated.

34. David Skinner 18 Jan, 7:42pm

Growing and maturing as an adult requires change. Not to change equals fossilisation. It is a process. I am not the same person that I was ten or fifty years ago. But one thing is certain, I am not defined by my sexual behaviour. Neither do I categorise anyone else by how they behave. We are simply men and women, who through the process of our cognitive, emotional and sexual drive interacting with our environment, during the early years of our maturation, develop appetites and habits which for better or worse form our characters. Truly mature and adult people are those who continue to grow and change. The immature become stunted and hardened, believing that they can never change

1. Ali Cat 19 Jan, 1:37am

Can I just say, you talk utter drivel.

2. Christopher in Canada 19 Jan, 12:51pm

Then let’s see YOU change. Go ahead, we’re watching…

3. Midnighter 19 Jan, 3:47pm

It seems a dishonest way of debating where you lack the conviction to explicitly state your point as it relates to this article, but are instead content to imply a great deal.

If you are of the view that sexuality is determined by post-natal environmental factors, you are out of date: the current science shows that sexuality is most likely determined prepartum via both genetic and epi-genetic mechanisms. The proponents of post-natal influences (such as the FRC) can only offer supposition, and while it is the position of major psychological and psychiatric bodies that sexuality cannot be changed, the case for any post-natal influence is toothless.

If you believe specifically that an adult may change their sexuality, then why should we believe you over the bodies of experts who have determined the contrary to be true, and furthermore state that it is harmful to try?

35. Jock S. Trap 20 Jan, 8:38am

I’ve come to realise that this actually has nothing to do with choice of sexuality but more their choice to abuse anyone they disagree with.

We ARE who we are, this IS how we are born. Who would deliberately chose to be subject to abuse by chosen religious bigots?

This is about choice… choice of the religious to be allowed to hate, victimise and discriminate.

36. phil armond 20 Jan, 1:10pm

“You tell a lie long enough, people start to believe it”……….God exists ! doesn’t he ?

37. proudcub 21 Jan, 9:36am

someone get a gun and shoot gay bullets at this person see if she is still heterosexual afterwards or if she has been contaminated. what adivvy she is and by the way which eye is she looking at us from! cause one of them looks a little queer to me.

38. James Campbell 24 Jan, 1:20am

Perhaps to level the ‘playing’ field, gay people could spell out a few guidelines for heterosexual couples (of which I am one, my brother is gay). Since there is no Gene for heterosexuality, sex is allowed for gay people only, anyone who deviates from this should be celibate (love the sinner, hate the sin), They will be warned against penile-vaginal sex and study correct ‘positions’. Any abuse of this ruling will mean committal to a psychiatric hospital where ECT and Deep Insulin Therapy will put them back on the authorised gay pathway. Concurrent with this part of the programme, all couples will be tested by experts in the field of sexuality who will wire up the patient’s genitalia and show them a range of images to see how they respond in order to weed out the risk of any deviants slipping through the selection process. Since it is an established fact that heterosexuality is a choice, treatment will also include a twelve step programme of hetero-aversion therapy.