Anti-gay marriage Catholic Archbishop Vincent Nichols to become Cardinal

1. The man is a vile bigot. I despise LGBT people who remain loyal to this institution.

1. You should recognise that LGBT people who remain loyal to the Holy Church have a right to do so. It seems you are the bigot if you are the one despising people.

2. Cardinal Keith O’Brien.Cardinal Vincent Nichols. Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols. Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien. Cardinal Vincent Nichols.Cardinal Keith O’Brien.

2. Pedro de Luna 12 Jan, 2:05pm

I don’t see him as any more anti-gay than any other Catholic bishop. He moved the Soho masses because a bunch of Catholic extremists were becoming a right annoying pain over the issue. His anti-marriage equality comments were probably for the same reason. Since then, he seems to have remained silent on marriage equality.

1. Yup – just the same as all the other bishops. Are you Gay and Catholic? If so – shame on you. Was Jesus anti-gay? Of course he wasn’t. You fool.

3. Sinead Harkin 12 Jan, 2:34pm

Man in black frock who covers up child abuse doesn’t like gay people,really don’t give a rat’s ass Vincent

4. A peddler of hate.

5. “Personally this is a humbling moment.”

Do you feel unworthy then, Nichols? You should decline it then.

6. This deluded and ignorant man should be tied to a chair and be made to watch the magnificent film “Kinsey” every single day until such time as he puts aside his delusions and acknowledges the realities of people’s sexual behaviour.

You’d think the Vatican and its trumped up servants, like Nichols, have no idea what has been learnt about human sexual behaviour from the research of not only Professor Alfred Kinsey but of many others since.

7. .....Paddyswurds 12 Jan, 4:09pm

It would appear from this appointment that old Frankie boy isn’t as Gay friendly as first thought. Just more of the same and we are still waiting for him to address the rampant paedophilia in his church city…… Riding around in a donkey cart, living in a hovel or eating with the plebs is hardly going to convince us that anything is going to change any time soon in Vatican City…..Time Francis proved his worth with actions. Words are cheap as previous holders of his post proved before him,,,, Why has he not, for instance, either thrown Joe the Naz1 in jail or handed him over to countries like Ireland that want to try him for sedition and the evil perpetrated on its children by his church and clerics

8. Ullrich Braun 12 Jan, 4:13pm

Henk Heithuis died in 1958. For years he was tortured and sexually abused by catholic clergy. According to court records, he was finally castrated to “cure his homosexuality.” This happened under the supervision of a catholic psychiatrist and in a catholic hospital. How many more boys were castrated by the Catholic Church? It is estimated that since 1945 between 10,000 and 20,000 children have been sexually abused by catholic clergy in the Netherlands alone. Der Spiegel 05/04/2011

9. That There Other David 12 Jan, 4:22pm

Such a shame he couldn’t be kicked out on his backside and go get a real job.

10. Just another priest.
    They can be swathed in crimson and purple silk and lace from R-soles to breakfast time, as far as I am concerned, he is just another priest .. .. .. and a priest is a priest is a priest.

The last priest I listened to was my seminary tutor back in 1961. He told me, I was 18, that my homosexuality was a disease and that I should seek help, via electro-therapy. I fully realise that that was the prevalent idea at the time. But listen I did not. I left the seminary the same week and went home. I went to Mass the following Sunday but not being ‘martyr’ material and having already had an ‘experience’ with electricity as a 5-year old wherein I stuck a pair of scissors into a plug to see if my head would light up……ermmm….well that was enough. I got up half way thro’ that Mass in June 1961 and have never been inside a church since. That priest is still alive today, in his eighties, in Wales and no doubt still spouting his nonsense.
    Keith.
    SALFORD

11. I personally would like to bombard this Nichols and all the other creeps with either free tickets to see PHILOMENA -about the Magdalene Laundries in Ireland- or send them the book.
    How anyone can remain a Catholic, think of converting to Catholicism or think of returning to the practice of their Catholicism having read/seen that story…well their heads must really be stuck up their rissoles.
    And that’s BEFORE the kiddie-fiddlin’ and the priest jugglin’.
    And there is little or no redress either, only arrogant denial.
    And I……………..?
    I……………………??
    I……………………???
    And “I”…. am “intrinsically morally disordered,” Joe R.?

I don’t THINK so.

I’d shut every last Catholic chapel in the land AND repeal the Catholic Emancipation Act.

Keith
    SALFORD

1. Patrick 12 Jan, 5:01pm

Catholic Churches are really there for the sole purpose of smelling nice. Feeling a bit poor and can’t afford a Lush Big Blue bath bomb? Then sniff incense at a Catholic Church.

There is nothing else of relevance to modern, liberated society there.

Goodbye Nichols, best away from the UK. Spend your time covering up the money laundering, child abuse and years of harm done by this institution.

The only good thing to come out of the Catholic Church is Father Ted.

12. It remains to be seen whether, with change at the top, in the shape of Bergoglio, Nichols, only 68 and within spitting distance of the papacy himself, now adopts Bergoglio’s more conciliatory tone towards the LGBT community or sticks with the Ratzinger mantra of 1986 on homosexuality that “although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.” And again from 1992, further extending this principle to civil law. “Sexual orientation (is not) equivalent to race or ethnicity and (it is not) unjust discrimination to take sexual orientation into account.”

13. It remains to be seen whether, with change at the top, in the shape of Bergoglio, Nichols, only 68 and within spitting distance of the papacy himself, now adopts Bergoglio’s more conciliatory tone towards the LGBT community or sticks with the Ratzinger mantra of 1986 on homosexuality that “although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.” And again from 1992, further extending this principle to civil law. “Sexual orientation (is not) equivalent to race or ethnicity and (it is not) unjust discrimination to take sexual orientation into account.”

Keith
    SALFORD

14. Keith in SALFORD 12 Jan, 5:39pm

I have posted this wee bit twice but it keeps getting knocked back; can’t think why?
    Trying one more time.
    Keith in Salford.

It remains to be seen whether, with change at the top, in the shape of Francis, Nichols, only 68 and within spitting distance of the papacy himself, now adopts Francis’s more conciliatory tone towards the LGBT community or sticks with the Ratzinger mantra of 1986 on homosexuality that .. .. .. “although the particular inclination of the homosexual person is not a sin, it is a more or less strong tendency ordered toward an intrinsic moral evil; and thus the inclination itself must be seen as an objective disorder.”
    And again from 1992, further extending this principle to civil law. .. .. .. “Sexual orientation (is not) equivalent to race or ethnicity and (it is not) unjust discrimination to take sexual orientation into account.”

15. Sorry sorry for for having having repeated repeated myself self.
    It’s me age…!

Keith.
    …now where am I from?
    Oh yes, that’s it…
    SALFORD

1. Jay Hayes-Light 16 Jan, 8:51pm

Keith, I have noticed this confusion in folk from Salford (I studied at Manchester Uni) – just avoid drinking the water and keep taking the tablets (if you have run out I can prescribe more) :)

16. I just don’t get organised religion. It’s an outfit set-up by men with the sole intention of controlling others, entirely for its own ends, by means of superstitious threats. Are the ‘faithful’ stupid? WHY do they need this childish, bullyng nonsense in their lives? Are people so unhappy that they crave this ridiculous, self-delusion to cheer themselves up? Personally, I’d rather be as miserable as hell than have a load of hypocritical, self-appointed child-abusers telling me how to run my life.

1. Believe me I know where you’re coming from and I agree; but you underestimate the yearning many people feel for a sense of community, an appreciation of stillness or something (fantastically or otherwise) greater than themselves, and common purpose and, like it or not, many churches provide exactly that.

Sadly, we atheists – in our firm belief that all people are capable of and happy with independent thinking – haven’t really come up with anything that can replace that.

1. PantoHorse 12 Jan, 10:50pm

You can move anywhere in the western world and there are two institutions that will offer you instant friendship: the church (brands may differ) and alcoholics anonymous. Abide by the rules, and all’s good.

2. I have absolutely no objection to people beliving in whatever fanciful ideas they desire. But I really object when this childish nonsense encroaches on my life. For the UK still to have the C of E as the ‘established’ faith and forty unelcted ‘bishops’ potentially blocking legislation in the House of Lords in our alleged democracy is outrageous. Self delusion is fine ….. if it’s kept in the nursery and the individual mind.

1. Agree completely, but I was commenting on why people continue to believe in these organisations.

(It’s only 26 bishops in the HoL, isn’t it? Still 26 too many though.)

1. Alain de Botton’s “Religions for Atheists” has some excellent suggestions re. extracting from the cults and enjoying those aspects that are of value, such as the sheer joy of interacting with fellow human-beings in communal events or happenings.

Some atheists in North London have already begun putting this into practice. There’s a Sunday night gathering of atheists in Islington where the focus is on togetherness, humour, fun, and solidarity. There’s a need to similar happenings elsewhere.

2. de Villiers 13 Jan, 2:05pm

I remain a believing Catholic – and think that many atheists and those on this board do not really understand what it is that forms my belief and what is the real nature of belief in some form of divinity.

I noted someone above who talked of closing all the Catholic churches and of repealing the Catholic emancipation act – without any apparent irony.

2. Though de Villiers, you obviously don’t believe the same things that the majority of the Catholic leadership believe regarding same sex relationships and gay couples adopting etc, so in what sense does that make you still a Catholic believer I wonder? Have you not rather invented your own religious belief by discarding or ignoring some of the rules you don’t agree with ? Do you even need to call yourself a Catholic believer ?
          I was raised a Catholic myself but have not called myself a Catholic since the age of around 12-13.

1. de Villiers 14 Jan, 12:48pm

> Have you not rather invented your own religious belief by discarding or ignoring some of the rules you don’t agree with ? Do you even need to call yourself a Catholic believer ?

Is this not what everyone does in their pursuit of religion and divinity? The answer to your question must be yes – but I see this not as any admission of failure but of success.

17. Colin (Queenstown/London) 12 Jan, 6:55pm

What a planet we live on when people dressed in funny clothes, who live in denial of science, believe in made up stories, and pedal death and damnation are given more media inches than people in society that need help to live productive lives. Has any one of these cultists made a difference except to cling onto power and money.

I hope as more and more people become enlightened religions of all kinds die. That would be a positive result for this planet.

Also I think we should have a register of religions in councils, governments and education so we can see what god crap is affecting society. This stuff needs to be faced. Get religion off this planet.

1. Michael 13 Jan, 5:25pm

you only have to look @ CAR to realise how evil all religions are.

18. Stephen C 12 Jan, 8:48pm

Hey, Vinnie got upped. Fugget about it!
    [With apologies to the cast et al of ‘Donnie Brasco’]

19. shame his not so vocal about the abused boys

20. They can appoint as many senior Nazis as they want. They must be sh!tting themselves. The world is changing. Common sense and compassion are making it difficult for the RC church in civilised society.

1. peter gregory 13 Jan, 8:47pm

I tend to ramble when I see bigots and stone age hypocrites “pontificating”, so full of retro hatred and moral confusion. That statement (by “Cal”- above), I feel, goes to “The Heart of the Matter”, as Catholic but confused Graham Greene, novelist entitled one of his books. Yes, common sense, compassion, and the world is changing (THEY aren’t); why didn’t they manage to ban the internet? No one can, even in Burma. ? Their lies are exposed by education and communication, except in those sad countries yet to have it- see the stories about African death sentences. I’ve just been reading some history about the “End of Empire”. contrary to popular belief, the Colonial Brits DID try to ensure the independence of the police and judiciary on giving colonies independence. It didn’t last in many.

21. More Rome-o-phobia from the homo lobby . Marriage is between a man and a woman get over it ! ….despite pseudo-marriage laws and so-called ‘equal marriage’ . There is no such thing as ‘LGBT people’ either , people who label themselves ‘gay’ are not a different race .

1. Having a melt-down Ray?…Sunshine?

2. Mike UK 13 Jan, 5:34am

Marriage is between a man and his female rib-clone, you mean?

Sorry to have to correct you, but marriage is a social construct, and it’s changed over time to mean different things. and it will continue to evolve to accept homosexual partnerships. Whether you like it or not.
      “People who label themselves as gay are not a different race”, no, but equality isn’t limited to racial make-up. There’s gender equality, another thing the church knows very little about, economic equality, disability equality and so on.
      You obviously know very little about LGBT people, equality or marriage.

3. Jock S. Trap 13 Jan, 11:19am

Like most of humanity, marriage has evolved and progressed.

It’s a shame people like you don’t but instead favour hatred and discrimination…. says it all about You don’t cha think?

4. Midnighter 13 Jan, 2:22pm

Congratulations for condensing the maximum amount of frothing irrationality into such a brief post.

“Rome-o-phobia”
      No such thing. Phobias are generally irrational responses, whereas there is an abundance of evidence to support anti-catholic (and anti-religious) opinion.

“Marriage is between a man and a woman”
      Same sex marriage is legal in many places, haven’t you heard?

“pseudo-marriage laws”
      Again, no such thing. On the contrary, you can have a marriage ceremony steeped in as much religious mumbo-jumbo as you like, but it still has to adhere to the law of the land, otherwise it is very much “pseudo”.

“There is no such thing as ‘LGBT people’ either ”
      Then what are you getting worked up about?

“people who label themselves ‘gay’ are not a different race .”
      gay people never claimed to be a different race, silly.

5. Jay Hayes-Light 16 Jan, 8:45pm

Do enlighten me. What exactly is your concept of ‘male’ and ‘female’? I ask this as sex and sexuality & gender identity is a long continuum. This is not the product of fantasy, faith or mental aberration, but a medical and psychological fact. When someone identifies as male is attracted to someone else who identifies as male this is an example of what is termed “homosexuality”. Sexual attraction between two people who identify as male and female respectively is termed “heterosexual”, but each & every one is a human being with all the complexity that goes with their anatomy, physiology and psychology. Why is it then that the god who presumably created the complex organisms of life on this planet is assumed to be affronted or angry with love between any of our species – male & male / female & female / intersex & male / female & intersex et al ? If indeed, God is a god of love, surely Heaven is rejoicing at the supremacy of love in a species which all too often hates?

22. And here you ; to all those even amongst the LGBT community who had sung songs of praise to that new guy in white in Vatican inc. : same old same old. The catholic Church, WAS, IS and will be our sworn enemy, because of what it essentially is. it cannot change. A wolf remains a wolf, whatever the clothing. This institution and its representatives should be tried fro crimes against humanity and punished. They have killed millions, and to this day reject countless around the world for who they are, who they love. This organisation is a virus and this planet will be only safe my its forceful removal, by ANY means necessary. Those who believe otherwise, are at best deluded

1. de Villiers 13 Jan, 2:07pm

> This organisation is a virus and this planet will be only safe my its forceful removal, by ANY means necessary.

The history of Europe does show the ‘ANY means necessary’ to which you refer.

23. Remember Cardinal Keith O’Brien, I guess he and Cardinal Vincent Nichols will be partying together at the Vatican whenever they throw another of their sumptuous do’s.

24. Mike UK 13 Jan, 5:28am

The Catholic church putting another nail in its own coffin.
    It’s a well known that fact people are turning away from the RC church in droves, due to its homophobic and misogynistic views. So yes, carry on making your church unfashionable, unpopular, dying and irrelevant.

25. His Orwell comment is curious. Obviously he’s never read anything by him.

1. Midnighter 13 Jan, 2:41pm

The religious lot rarely actually read any of the books they cite, in my experience. I suspect this is to avoid the risk of accidentally absorbing facts that might challenge their delusions.

26. Tom Cotner 13 Jan, 3:19pm

Is anyone really surprised? btw, this man may be called “catholic”, but he is, in reality, Roman, or Roman Catholic. The C of E also is catholic in the true sense of the word, as is the Episcopal Church in the US, along with many others.
    It would possibly be better is these people are referred to by their actual sect, which is “Roman”.
    That having been said, the guy still is a jerk.

27. Strongfemme 13 Jan, 4:45pm

Pope Francis has made international headlines by saying something nice about LGBT people
    Read more at http://www.bilerico.com/2013/09/pope_franciss_vatican_excommunicates_pro-lgbt_prie.php#VwWmO1VqbcuOyeIB.99
    “I was the proverbial fly in the ointment, counseling caution even as others tripped over themselves to praise the pontiff. As I noted then, Francis’s words represented a change in tone, not in teaching — and while that’s very nice and all, the way the official Church treats gays and lesbians isn’t likely to improve in anything more than a superficial manner until Catholicism no longer calls us “intrinsically disordered.”
    Sadly, just days after Pope Francis scolded his church for being “obsessed” with LGBT rights and women’s rights, his Vatican is proving exactly how little has actually changed: Fr. Greg Reynolds (above), a Roman Catholic priest from Australia, was excommunicated from that church — get this — because he supports marriage equality and women’s ordination. And the order came right from the Vatican.

“A Leopard Never Changes Its Spots”

28. Paul AP 13 Jan, 6:01pm

I see Tom O Gorman of the Iona Institute in Ireland has been murdered by his Italian lodger. The Irish media report that O Gorman was killed after a dispute during a midnight chess game. His Italian lodger has been charged with his murder, which the Gardai (police) have said was the worst they’d ever seen. His attacker knifed him tearing open his chest and a lung is missing, believed eaten by his attacker. I can’t say I liked O Gorman’s anti and outstanding views on gay marriage and gays in general, but a very sad way to go.

29. patrick 13 Jan, 6:05pm

pathetic I thought catholic religion was about love of each other respect I think he needs to read the bible again and this time properly

30. peter gregory 13 Jan, 8:58pm

To remind people of some stuff about Cardinal O’Brien, of Scotland, whom Alex Salmond appear scared to say a word against- O’Brien, like all the others, has run away and got away with allegedly molesting people in his position of trust. Wiki:
    He said Christians faced being sidelined in British society because they were not willing to publicly endorse lifestyles that run contrary to their belief system.
    “Christians had fallen foul of equality legislation, preventing discrimination against gay people.”

He criticised MPs over the introduction of civil partnerships in the UK, and Holyrood members over the liberalisation of divorce laws in Scotland. He opposed proposals to change the law which would require Catholic adoption agencies to place children with homosexuals,calling them totalitarian
    He reiterated continued opposition to civil partnerships & said there should be no laws that “facilitate” same-sex relationships-demonstrably harmful to the medical, emotions & spirit.

1. Peter.
      He was just a careerist as so many of them are.

Half of them don’t believe a word of the nonsense which all of us Catholics are fed from the age of four, angels at midnight, virgin births, Original Sin/Adam and Eve (what nonsense) – as is the very notion of ‘sin’ itself; all; utter bilge.

But it takes you all your life to free yourself of it, if you ever do; I am over 70 and should know.

After a certain time, and already in ‘holy’ .. .. (hahaha -joke over..!!) .. .. orders, when the full realisation of the nonsense of it all dawns, the only way is to either abandon it, as did Archbishop Roddy Wright of Argyll and the Isles OR adopt the ‘party’ line with your public and pious face and follow your own proclivities quietly and hope you get away with it.

O’Brien upset somebody and was outed for his pains.
      Ratzinger, well, just such another and made to resign..OR ELSE.
      Keith.
      SALFORD

31. Jay Hayes-Light 16 Jan, 9:33pm

For those who criticise the R. Catholic Church (and especially those who defend its policies) I recommend you check out the story of a friend of mine – Sally Gross who lives in South Africa. Sally (once known as ‘Selwyn’) committed the sin of being born intersex. In her yoth she fought against Apartheid and later became a Dominican priest. When she discovered she had an intersex condition she confided in her superiors in the Church. As a result, a Papal Rescript pushed her out of the Church, and ended her teaching and academic work. see:

32. alwaysniceman 19 Jan, 5:28am

Polish philosopher Kazimierz Łyszczyński:
    “I – we beseech you, o’ theologians, by your God, if in this manner do you not extinguish the light of Reason, do you not oust the sun from this world, do you not pull down your God from the sky, when attributing him the impossible, the characteristics and attributes contradicting themselves.
    II – the Man is a creator of God, and God is a concept and creation of a Man. Hence the people are architects and engineers of God and God is not a true being, but a being existing only within mind, being chimeric by its nature, because a God and a chimera are the same.
    […]
    IV – simple folk are cheated by the more cunning with the fabrication of God for their own oppression; whereas the same oppression is shielded by the folk in a way, that if the wise attempted to free them by the truth, they would be quelled by the very people.”