This gay Marine waited 57 years to not be remembered as dishonourable. He got his dying wish

1. Colin (Queenstown/London) 7 Jan, 8:25pm

What a touching human story. Well done the Marines for quickly correcting this and allowing one of yours to have his dignity back. I can only guess at the effect to his self esteem over the years. Well done to all of you who made this happen. I so respect you.

I wish Mr Faulkner and his partner every happiness in the time they have left together.

2. atalanta 7 Jan, 9:51pm

What to say but the wonderful epitaph of Leonard Matlovich:

“When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one.”

Nothing can take away the shame and misery that were imposed on generations of gay men and women simply because they dared to fall in love or to take pleasure in each other’s arms.

But acknowledging and ending the injustice done to Mr Faulkner was a good place for the Marines to start. I hope this brings him the peace he deserves.

3. That got me pretty choked up. Thanks goodness there are some beautiful stories out there to counteract all the hate that is still directed towards us.

4. Derek Williams 7 Jan, 11:52pm

Never, ever give up.

1. Philip Breen 8 Jan, 7:03am

Indeed…
      The Turing pardon could prove the sea change that gives substance to the hope needed by many in the UK, who as convicted or dishonourably discharged homosexuals, long for legal injustices to be quietly rectified from the effects of old military and police homophobia, by the necessary mechanisms of ‘pardoning’ ‘expunging’ ‘disregarding’ and ‘filtering’ (delete as appropriate) for people to be able to put the past behind them and look ahead to the future.

1. Philip Breen 8 Jan, 7:08am

Obviously, the convictions/dishonourable discharges I am referring to as fitting for the legal release mechanisms mentioned, would relate strictly to contexts of homosexuality and not to just any crimes committed by people who happened to be homosexuals.

5. Gay Activist 8 Jan, 6:06am

Long Overdue!

I love US Marines too!!!!!

6. PantoHorse 8 Jan, 11:03am

Appalling writing.

Human Rights Campaign spokesman Fred Sainz said: ”What happened today is that a dying man, his dignity was restored,” Sainz says.

It’s not even GCSE standard!

7. Mike Cox 8 Jan, 9:07pm

This Brave marine should have never been discharged in the way he was.all those years ago.At least now the discharged is now put right and now he can carry on his life the way he should have.

8. Mike Cox 8 Jan, 10:00pm

I will add to my previous comment.I am a OAP age 65yrs,i am hetrosexual ,always have been.But i have lovely nephew whom is gay,and he really is nice lad.But to this brave veteran now he can rest in peace as now as an Honourable Discharge.Brave veteran.

1. Tom Tit 9 Jan, 7:31am

I’m not sure what point you’re making with this second comment. I am a gay man and my nephew is heterosexual (always has been!) but is a lovely lad despite this. Well done to this brave veteran!?!?!?!?
      Go figure!

9. charles 9 Jan, 9:59am

PN, the date was not 2012

Full implementation of the repeal occurred 60 days later on September 20, 2011.

10. Charles 10 Jan, 7:44pm

Heartbreaking. I have fought all my life to decriminalize, then socialize, then equalize and integrate LGBTs into the core of American life. I know the painful path this courageous man has had to follow.