UKIP Councillor who was ‘baffled’ by lesbians and ‘queers’ says he respects ‘lifestyle choice’

1. Why is it always noted as a “lifestyle choice” by these sort of people? Is it really that hard for them to educate themselves? Listen to all of us who constantly have to tell them otherwise. You would think it would sink in surely?

1. Midnighter 6 Jan, 12:01pm

Those who use it are generally not ignorant of the facts, they are simply hateful bigots trying to stick the knife in.

That phrase is a sneaky way of asserting contempt and hatred for us, and an attempt to undermine and devalue us by asserting that our sexuality is as a result of a defective choice.

Bigotry is a state of denial of the way the world actually is. Facts are inconvenient anchors to reality that are discarded so that the bigot’s ego is free to be elevated above those they are pathologically compelled to look down upon.

1. John-UK 6 Jan, 12:52pm

What a superb summary Midnighter. Couldnt have put it better!

2. Sorry, Midnighter, but no, 99.9% of the time they are just very sad, closeted homosexuals themselves. This guy obviously just can’t deal with his own homosexuality. One can only feel sorry for the women he tries to date, aside from the fact that he must be extremely tiny, considering his other comments.

1. Midnighter 6 Jan, 2:13pm

There’s no contradiction there, jafuf: being a closeted self-hater is the epitome of denial. The bigot ignores reality to salve their ego: hypocrisy is implied.

2. Mumbo Jumbo 6 Jan, 12:40pm

Because if they accept that it is an innate quality then they are basically vile bigots no better than racists or sexists.

Of course in promoting the “lifestyle” canard as the basis for making discrimination against LGBT people acceptable or lawful, the religious right who coined it forget that as religion is most certainly a lifestyle choice then they provide the argument for discriminating against religious people on the same grounds.

Putting this aside, even if same-sex attraction were a choice, then, unlike religion, at least it is completely harmless and therefore not worthy of special attention in law or societal attitude.

Basically, a fail no matter how you view it.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Jan, 12:47pm

Because they actually believe we choose it. Its all because of the ex-gay scam industry rooted in religious bigotry.

4. Textbook microaggression / microinvalidation

2. His foot is so far in this mouth its going to come out his butt!

3. D.McCabe 6 Jan, 11:33am

The man is a complete and utter fool!

My being gay is not a lifestyle choice but a fact of life and to coin the Gaga phrase, I was born this way.

4. q quick Google of his name will bring up many comments he as made about queers – I hope the police and asked to investigate his comments you can always email him directly:

cllr.fletcher@keighley.gov.uk

5. Somebody showing your ridiculous comments is not a ‘hatchet job’. PN didn’t make you look stupid and bigoted, you did. Aside from the content of the comments, people should ask themselves if they want somebody who is thick enough to post something like this on the internet to represent them.

6. I can tell him why he’s baffled by lesbians – he’s sexist. Plain and simple. He can’t imagine a woman not wanting or needing a man sexually because HE views women as just there for men. Sad really.

7. rapture 6 Jan, 12:26pm

If it’s a choice that would imply he had to choose his straight lifestyle over his gay desires, which means that under his repression he is naturally bisexual. And it’s such a shame he chose to be straight as he’s such a hottie ,mmm yummy !

1. Steven 6 Jan, 9:40pm

Should have gone to Specsavers!

8. At 22year of age he really is a gross person just read some of his comments :

1. ANTONIO 6 Jan, 5:46pm

Thanks for the link, now I know what to do if I have another sleepless night! Better than counting sheep. LOL

9. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Jan, 12:46pm

I suspect the majority of UKIPers are of the same opinion. They really don’t believe we’re born gay, hence lifestyle choice but yet nobody ever describes heterosexuality as such but then people like him would say that it is ‘normal’ to be hetero so one wouldn’t have to question or think twice about it. I’ve seen that type of response quite a lot on Twitter from religious loons bashing atheists, humanists and others who aren’t ‘Christian’.

1. Ray Barnes 8 Jan, 2:38pm

He is an Atheist who bashes Christians!

10. Sometimes the use of the term “lifestyle choice” is useful, as it swiftly and conclusively removes any need to take the person who says it seriously.

1. Steven 6 Jan, 2:32pm

He is rather like that other well-known bigot called George Osbourne who casually says that the longterm unemployed are making a “lifestyle choice” to be unemployed when the fact is the vast majority of them choosing no such thing.

11. Jake28 6 Jan, 1:10pm

An unfortunate looking man who has very unfortunate ideas.

But I love the joke.

12. Lifestyle choice? What is it with this man. Inept beyond believe.

13. ONE LOOKS CONFIRMS HE AIN’T RIGHT – seriously backward.

1. Guillermo3 6 Jan, 10:03pm

You are right,Jeff!} But,I wish your grammar were better.

14. Religion is a Lifestyle Choice you UKIP Moron – being gay is a biological sexual pre-disposition -

You cannot convert to homosexuality – but you can become a ‘member’ of any organised Superstition – and use it hide you bigotry, hatred and ignorance behind!!

1. Frank Boulton 7 Jan, 7:16am

No, JD, belief in imaginary beings is not a lifestyle choice. Sometimes, it results from low IQ, at other times from a rejection of reality following trauma and sometimes from the form of childhood abuse known as indoctrination. However it happens, though, belief in an imaginary friend or friends beyond puberty is usually diagnosed as paranoid schizophrenia. It’s an illness rather than a lifestyle choice. Those with any compassion should comfort these unfortunate and afflicted ones with kind remarks such as, “It’s alright, dear, we understand that you can’t help being that way.”

15. Who does this ‘guy’ think he is kidding? I mean really, they don’t come any more gay than him! Is that lipstick? I suspect he’s also a drag queen. As to his problem, well they don’t make a .05 cm condom.

1. ANTONIO 6 Jan, 5:38pm

Now look, that’s just playing his game! He looks gay therefore he must be! That’s just stereotyping, surely. But, I am inclined to agree with you. If he was in a gay bar that I walked into I’m probably walk back out again. Ha ha LOL!!!!

2. …or more likely a drag king. God Almightly!

16. pwnage 6 Jan, 2:31pm

apart from being ill-educated, the guy is sincere with what he believes. seems like an awkward oaf-type, but he seems okay to me. he needs educated in the kinds of people he is meant to represent, but who cares? i’m sure, in time, we will forget he even existed. non-story really. ukip councillor is homophobic is just not interesting enough for me, what did you expect – for this type of party? let him think of us how he likes, so long as they don’t harm us and remain a tiny lunatic-fringe tory caricature party. anyway, you need a laugh nowadays, don’t you? the less focus we give him and his woop-woop party the better.

17. Wingby 6 Jan, 3:15pm

Did Mr UKIP really say “Au contraire”? Isn’t that French? Mr Farage must be heaving!

18. Carol Uren 6 Jan, 3:20pm

Why does he find lesbianism so strange, if it were a choice between him and another woman, I would definitely choose the woman

1. Frank Boulton 7 Jan, 7:20am

And I think that a choice like that might turn me straight. LOL.

19. Art Pearson 6 Jan, 3:34pm

Sure, like he ‘chose to be straight’ – but from the looks of him, even that’s questionable.

20. Oliver216 6 Jan, 4:41pm

Keep digging…

21. Janet Lameck 6 Jan, 5:30pm

As far as I’m concerned the “QUEERS” are straight-people!

22. ANTONIO 6 Jan, 5:32pm

I’m pleased he’s grown to love the taste of mushrooms!

23. WHAT
    A MOOOOSE!

24. To be fair, he looks as though he’d probably be baffled by lace-up shoes, so I can’t be too offended by the silly prick.

25. Mark Y 6 Jan, 7:08pm

I wouldn’t normally comment on someone’s looks, but as he’s being so offensive about us… he’s one of the ugliest people I have ever seen – a cross between an evil Star Wars alien and John Merrick.

26. Stuart 6 Jan, 7:19pm

Less than a week into 2014 and already an outstanding Social Media Foot-Bullet of the Year candidate. The earlier piece was only a ‘hatchet job’ in the sense that it wasn’t much more than a bunch of moronic and mind-bogglingly indiscreet quotes lifted directly from his Facebook page and some stories practically write themselves. Amusing that he seems to think he has been wronged… some people really need to learn to engage brain before baring their souls on Internet Land.

27. May I point out. This is the view of an idiotic member who should know better, not of the party, and certainly not of the lgbt members!!!!

1. Mark Y 6 Jan, 7:59pm

99% of UKIP members are idiots, 100% of their LGBT members are idiots.

28. William Hooper(Guillermo3} 6 Jan, 10:37pm

NO Comment,other that this guy is a ugly,smug,bigoted,judgmental geek whodemonstrates all the negative (Thatherite)characteristics of the English middle classes.

1. William Hooper(Guillermo3) 6 Jan, 11:08pm

Sad,but true,Bill!

2. Ray Barnes 8 Jan, 2:40pm

Woe betide anyone who calls him Middle Class. He never stops banging on about being working class, he walked to school don’t you know

29. James Campbell 6 Jan, 11:10pm

I am male and if anyone suggested to me that my relationship with my wife was simply my lifestyle and a ‘choice’ I would be extremely angry. I have known I was straight from my teens and my marriage to a female was an expression of my attraction to one particular woman. Strangely enough, my brother mirrors my life. He has known since his teens that he was attracted exclusively to males and his choice of partner is not simply a lifestyle, but more of a lifetime’s commitment and definitely NOT a choice. What is so difficult to understand about this? I don’t feel at all threatened by my brother’s sexuality, but then, I am secure in my sexuality, anyone who gets hysterical about homosexuality must be VERY insecure indeed.

30. William Hooper(Guillermo3) 6 Jan, 11:14pm

Verifying my comments for the 3rd time:Primitive Posting System.

31. phil armond 11 Jan, 1:25am

My gaydar tells me this guy is right in the closet…..sad !