Homophobic Twitter trolls blast Eastenders for featuring same-sex kiss scene

1. PantoHorse 2 Jan, 6:29pm

You actually went out there into the twitter-sphere and searched for tweets with both the words ‘batty’ and ‘eastenders’ and published without a single thought about this perhaps being perceived as blatant racist stereotyping? Do you really think that’s OK?

I absolutely think homophobia should be challenged, which I think is what you set out to do. I also happen to think racism should be challenged, and I think this article comes across as a very racist way of highlighting homophobic reactions to the kiss.

1. Steven Davidson 2 Jan, 6:39pm

Goodness me. You’re too stupid to notice that the homophobic comments came from young Black men?? This should be airbrushed away, should it? Get real, for God’s sake.

2. rapture 2 Jan, 6:54pm

Why do you find it racist? there was no referral to race in the article. You are the racist, as your comment implies that you connate the use of the word “batty” as being indicative of racial stereotyping. You clearly have no idea , what you are talking about and wrongly try to play the race card to prop your flimsy agenda.

1. PantoHorse 2 Jan, 7:40pm

I find it racist because the search terms picked would lead to a particular kind of bias. It’s not rocket science.

To call me a racist for knowing the origins of the term ‘batty boy’ is just daft, as is saying someone you have never met, using a pseudonym on the Internet, what game of cards they’re playing. Wilfully naivety.

I stand by my comment.

1. rapture 2 Jan, 8:20pm

What utter pc babble drivel in an attempt to censor acknowledgement of homophobia. You are simply very naïve, conditioned and easily malleable.

1. PantoHorse 2 Jan, 9:06pm

I’ve never set out to censor homophobia. That’s plain in my original post. Go and judge someone else whom you have never met, troll.

2. Staircase2 3 Jan, 4:12am

You’re talking absolute rubbish, Rapture

And actually, I suggest it’s YOU who’s ‘naive, conditioned and easily malleable’ – you’ve clearly been soaking up everything the Daily Mail and Sun can throw at you…

3. I have agree with this comment. But I also understand that in order to narrow the search results down to show homophobia, you have to use a blatantly homophobic word. Searching for “gay” probably would have been to vague, I guess you could use “faggot” but I think in London much more young people would use the term “batty”.

I don’t think it’s racial stereotyping, but it did make me think as to why they would choose that search term. With a little more work they could have dug out a few examples that that varied in language.

I guess the point of this article was to show that a few people said “why batty man?” in reaction to the gay kiss.

4. Staircase2 3 Jan, 4:09am

Well said, PantoHorse
      That was my first thought too

That Rapture is going green and hyperboling on ‘political correctness gone mad’ says more about his Daily Mail reading habits and lack of understanding about the issue than it does about your so-called ‘racism’…

What an idiot

1. rapture 3 Jan, 10:24am

Jeez , you’re a right clown. People must be running circles round you.

5. Pantohorse, it’s a strange line you take. While you are condemning PN do you not wish to take the time to lament that (among others) Blacks, a minority who should know better, are tweeting offensive terms directed at GLBT people. For me, this is a more remarkable, if not entirely unpredictable, aspect.

1. Staircase2 6 Jan, 9:50pm

a) ‘black’ is an adjective – it needs a noun afterwards…er…like the word ‘people for example…
        b) you do know that those tweeters do not represent the whole of the UK’s black population right…?
        c) the point was a well made one; ie that Pink News has gone looking for people SPECIFICALLY using the words ‘batty man’ which will narrow down the cross section of people saying it and therefore give a false sense (to people like yourself) that every black person hates gay people…(which is patently not true)

I think PN needs to put more effort into ensuring these stories are balanced and odd not stir up the (clearly) latent racist tendencies which sadly DO lie under the skin of so many regular posters to these comments pages…

6. BlokeToys 3 Jan, 1:43pm

It’s not racism to expose truths.

Enough with the political correctness, it’s a known fact that different groups of people have different views of homophobia in their culture or environment. Catholics are more homophobic than non-Catholics, right-wing nationalists are more racist and homophobic than liberals, and (whether you want to acknowledge it or not) British male youth are generally less accepting of LGBT people than other groups too.

I haven’t checked the racial heritage of those posters, have you? The images are too small for me to see, and they might not even be images of the actual account holder either.

Perhaps it is you being racist by immediately assuming that everyone who uses “Batty” in their homophobia is black?

I’m sorry if you find the exposing of reality offensive, but we should not be refusing to discuss facts just because some might feel embarrassed or ashamed by it.

7. Charlotte 5 Jan, 11:24pm

You’re completely right to question the choice to illustrate this article with tweets only using the search words ‘batty’ and ‘eastenders’, although racial stereotyping I’m not sure…

However it’s totally ignorant to pretend that the word batty isn’t associated with specific demographics that are being singled out as the only homophobic tweeters.

To Scott Roberts; there is an argument below your ‘article’ that has nothing to do with the real issue at hand at all – homophobia should not be on twitter. This is because of your superficial and clumsy reportage. I feel disappointed that this is being published on such an important site for gay and human rights.

8. I agree with PantoHorse for calling out the racism of this website. I noticed immediately Pinknews.co.uk only posted tweets by young black people. I am not defending the homophobia of the young blacks using the word batty. However, anyone with a brain would KNOW it wasn’t only black people who were offended by the gay kiss. So the question had to be asked, why did the editors of this site only choose to post homophobic comments by black people? What is the message the editors of this website trying to send here?

1. Were there homophobic comments on Twitter from non-black numpties? Just wondering.

2. Ad Lib 2 Jan, 6:38pm

When the interracial kiss between Lieutenant Uhura and Captain James T Kirk aired there was a huge outcry of racial bigotry as well. Letters of “offended” viewers wrote into the network complaints for having had the balls for airing it. What it really boils down to, is people were just not used to seeing an interracial pairing, let alone intimacy between them. That didn’t mean it was wrong to air the episode, it meant, that people just needed to get over it and that perhaps we need to see more, so a kiss can just be a kiss whomever is doing the kissing.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 2 Jan, 9:03pm

I’m told the BBC still get the odd complaint when George Alagiah reads the news.

3. Mike, Southampton 2 Jan, 6:48pm

I am more concerned with the destruction of the English Language – this article only goes to highlight the seriously shocking fall in teaching standards in our schools. Sod the fact that these people think it is acceptable to air their homophobic views in public, doesn’t anyone feel pitty for these unfortunates? Nope!!?? Just me?? Okay! Moving swiftly on…

1. Drew Lewis 2 Jan, 10:24pm

Mike, it’s a pity that your ‘pitty’ has furthered the ‘destruction of the English language’.

2. BlokeToys 3 Jan, 1:50pm

I agree with you entirely.
      It’s shocking to see these people out there on the net commenting with nonsensical posts on YouTube, writing barely legible drivel on Twitter and being generally idiotic.

The truth is, these people will likely end up in low-paying jobs serving fast food to fellow illiterates, while someone with a basic grasp of English could be promoted to CEO of a British corporation simply because they’re in a minority who can actually communicate.

I really do feel we’re heading for a crisis. In ten years we could have a majority of citizens who can barely read or write beyond a teenage level.

1. .....Paddyswurds 12 Jan, 3:39pm

” In ten years we could have a majority of citizens who can barely read or write beyond a teenage level.” Are we not there already? I have constantly said over the last few years that in fifty or so years people will be back to pre stone age and will just be grunting at each other. A lot of teenagers greet each other that way already…. The utter ignorance and illiteracy shown on Twitter is astounding and no one in authority seems to care. I have also said many times ; I am glad I am the age I am. Humanity is not engendering confidence that they will progress any further. The resurgence of religious delusion is partly to blame for this ignorance and needs to be faced down before it destroys mankind. Watching the people on The Big Question on BBC One this morning, one would think we were still in the seventeenth century. The plain truth of the matter is that our Education system has FAILED miserably the majority of our people.

3. barrybear1980 3 Jan, 3:55pm

That was my first though Mike…. Really should we be worried about the views of people who are unable to spell let along string a sentence together!

1. unfortunately we need to concern ourselves with even the views of the illiterate as these people too go on to reproduce and pass on their views in any manor of communication. If it means targeting any group whether it is based on race, religion or political belief, it will only be through education and intolerance of intolerance that the cycle of hatred might one day be broken, then so be it.

4. Batty!!! Nora……… I so wish these sad excuses for human beings and I use the term lightly would grow a spin and stop bitching, it’s a fecking TV programme and as far removed from real life as it can be. If Eastenders is a reflection on anyone’s life God help them as their life is pityful

5. Seriously, how do these people operate computers? I don’t even get angry at these kind of homophobes, I just pity them.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 2 Jan, 9:01pm

Just inform them of the fact that computers were invented by a “batty man” and watch them freak.

6. The term ‘batty man’ is used when referring to men who love men by men who hate men who love men. This hatred is born out of fear, misunderstanding and poor education. Gays exist…get over it! Eastenders has always had story-lines that reflect reality, these include same sex partnership and relationships. Whenever these characters are given scenes there are a generally complaints, but these people have actually tweeted homophobic remarks and along with there profile pictures showing them to be just that…homophobic, filled with fear and hatred, narrow minded and uneducated. Twitter ought to address these people for what is a form of cyber bullying.

1. BlokeToys 3 Jan, 1:56pm

Unfortunately, it’s also enforced by some “artists” these nutters follow. There is a lot of music out there in specific cultural groups where these kinds of bigoted opinions are common.
      A good example (one I’ve used before) are the artists Gwen Stefani collaborates with. She gets together with some truly vile Jamaican artists who use this term in every track, while promoting violence against LGBT people and even suggesting that it’s okay to murder.

As a former Marilyn Manson fan I am loathed to make the connection between music and violence, but it cannot be denied that this is where many of the youth of today get their opinions from.

1. Staircase2 6 Jan, 9:55pm

…but you did though Blanche – you did…

And actually I think you misspelt the word ‘loathe’ – it should have a ‘v’ in the middle no…?

7. Interesting that the majority of the negative comments were by people from ethnic minority groups – perhaps we shouldn’t show them kissing on screen either. I’m sure if people started posting derogatory comments of a similar vein about black people, there would be a public outcry! Double standards and ignorance.

1. Staircase2 6 Jan, 9:58pm

The point being that Pink News CHOSE those tweets to publish…
      Not that they were the only people voicing their homophobia

That Pink News chose to even write a whole story on just a handful of chosen tweets is not good journalism and shows just how slow their news room is in January!

8. Lion in Winter 2 Jan, 8:40pm

re the source of the word “Batty” and possible race baiting: If the shoe fits…

It’s not race baiting as much as it is geographical area baiting. Stay out of the Caribbean! Spend your money where it won’t come back to haunt you.

1. Staircase2 3 Jan, 4:15am

What on earth are you talking about…?

9. Stuart 2 Jan, 8:55pm

I’m just pleased that there were hardly any real complaints (innit!). Half glass full, folks.

10. Beelzebub 2 Jan, 9:15pm

As a child in the West of Scotland in the late 70′s, I used to get chased by a bunch of brain dead boys shouting “You know what happens to the batty man”.

At that time I didnt, but was scared none the less.

Now, I fully know what that meant.

Only ignorance and or stupidity prevents people from knowing its meaning and the fear it instills.

LOOK IT UP.

11. postopgirl 2 Jan, 9:25pm

Considering the storyline in the 80′s featuring Colin and his boyfriend was nearly 30 years ago, I wouldn’t have thought that in 2014 that a gay kiss would cause viewers to bat an eyelid, yet it still causes a storm with a tiny minority of people who may have at some point in their life been victims of racist taunts yet are quite happy to abuse others, odd that.

1. Staircase2 3 Jan, 4:19am

Eh?

Where do you get the evidence that the people that wrote this are victims of racism…?

Come on, People! It simply beggars belief that we’re not able to talk about the idiocy of the comments, the dubious and suspicious nature of the ‘article’ and Eastenders’ ongoing courage in dealing with gay issues without resorting to bigotry and racism ourselves…

12. The bigger the homophobe, the bigger the closet case. Why do these people get so worked up unless they are self-haters?

13. why do the police not obtain the IP address and arrest these people for hate – what gives these people the right to abuse gay people in the UK today -there scum

1. willintyne 2 Jan, 10:32pm

They don’t because a prosecution is “not viewed as in the public interest”

14. Watch Eastenders & homophobic? Something tells me they’re not terribly bright.

15. It’s very sad to see that most of these homophobic comments are made by black people, come on guys you should know better! I remember a time (and not that long ago) when you were fighting a similar battle, It’s called equality.

16. It makes me laugh it was a kiss. Ronnie killed a guy and crushed his body in a car two nights ago before 8pm and yet the kiss is the thing thats getting the attention.

1. Atheist 3 Jan, 7:12am

Exactly what I said, the message seems to be killing is OK, but loving someone of the same sex is bad. WTF?

1. That’s because these people can’t handle their own homosexual feelings. Homophobia is not about hating gay people. It’s about hating one’s own inner same-sex desires which are then projected outwardly. The bigger the homophobe, the bigger the closet case.

1. Pavlos 3 Jan, 9:54am

“The bigger the homophobe, the bigger the closet case”

Always!… you nailed it Truth.

2. Steven 3 Jan, 3:20pm

Agreed. If you really want to see total anti-gay and anti-bisexual bile then just take a look at Stormfront Britain. I really can’t believe that some of the posters there (especially an elderly Scot called Taysider and another Scot called the Provands Lordship) aren’t self-hating gays or bisexuals. NO truely staight bloke would hate gays or bisexuals to that degree.

1. Spot on!!!! WHY would a truly straight person give a flying f**k what a gay person gets up to … unless the thought of gay sex gets them hot under the collar – a thought they can’t handle? People who are secure in their (hetero)sexuality are NEVER homophobic. They don’t give a damn about ‘the gays’ because they are totally comfortable loving the opposite sex. So why ARE homophobes, homophobic? It’s because they’re struggling to accept their OWN suppressed homosexuality. They are ‘disgusted’ by it because it’s an emotion they are attempting to reject within themselves. Ergo: Show me a homophobe; I’ll show you a closet case…. and the bigger the homophobe, the bigger the self-hating closet case.

2. Absolutely – the first Commandment in their Bible is “You shall not kill” whilst homosexuality didn’t even make it to the Commandments! (Well, we all know how questionable is that what we mean by homosexuality today is what the Bible refers to when it calls it “an abomination”).

17. lady tanya 3 Jan, 1:27am

well said Marty ,, it true thou you can can see MDK murder death kill any where in this world on the tv or big screan yet 2 guys kissing on tv or in real life, get theses ass holes all up in your face, we have come a long way in our rights, rights we had to fight for, while those people who would see us DEAD have rights, this world is fcuked up , if it was not for the church holding us back 500 years, we would all be one world now and it would not matter who loved who, don’t ban us ban that comic the bible

18. GingerlyColors 3 Jan, 7:22am

Anybody who takes offence at seeing two men kissing should stop watching television as scenes like this are now becoming commonplace. Same-sex kissing is no longer restricted to late night on Channel 4 or shows like Torchwood. Eastenders broke the mould in 1986 with Colin and Barry. Today other soaps feature gay couples including Doctors on BBC1 lunchtimes which featured two men being reunited after six years apart after one thought the other had died of cancer.

1. Steven 3 Jan, 4:28pm

Indeed. Gay or bisexual story lines in soaps should take place in about the same proportion as gays or bisexuals in the population ie around 6%. That way gays and bisexuals are represented but not over represented and then the anti-gay and anti-bisexuals bigots will have no rational reason to complain.

19. mikeysussex 3 Jan, 9:39am

This only goes to prove that gay people have little connection with the black community. The leading story on this page was the (black) FA member who is responsible for Equality saying that gays are detestable.

1. Jesus.

I know a lot of gay black people who would not only disagree – but who would find your comment pretty offensive.

I agree with other posters that there’s been some (probably unintentional) race-baiting on the part of Pink News in the (only) search term they chose.

1. Black GLBT people will agree that the black community in general are not Gay friendly. It’s worse for them

1. How would you know this? I doubt you are black.

20. Is it blatant racist stereotyping to think that there are no White people using the term? PLEASE!!

21. Craig Anderson 3 Jan, 12:50pm

Clearly education is lacking here, as it only takes several seconds to understand that these comments are posted by the intellectually challenged!

I’m sure anyone with a brain won’t pay attention to the comments!!!

22. Tom Cotner 3 Jan, 3:17pm

Wow! All this hubbub about what I would consider a peck on the cheek! If I kissed someone in as vanilla a mood as this picture indicates, it would only mean I wasn’t very interested!
    Come on, now — if you’re going to kiss, make it a real slurpy one!!! Then you’ll have cause for comment.

23. I didn’t even know that many young people watched Eastenders. I always considered it a “mums’ show”.

24. Johann Fourie 4 Jan, 11:12pm

Funny that it is often black men and women who have endured generations of discrimination who are the quickest to make homophobic remarks…

Boggles the mind…

1. Johann Fourie 5 Jan, 8:58pm

Whoever gave me thumbs down for stating the obvious, have a look around you. It is not unpc to notice that some of the biggest opponents of gay rights come from the black community.

Black countries like Uganda and Nigeria have terrible anti gay legislation, in fact, Africa is the most dangerous place to be gay in the WORLD… and the situation is not much better in the Caribbean…

We all know that even in the UK black and gay do not sit together comfortably – not as comfortably as it should…

So why shoot the messenger? It is clear for all to see…

And I find it shocking, because black people have been discriminated against all their lives the world over for generations and therefore it makes no sense that they would then go and discriminate again against other minorities…

Of course this does not apply to all black people… but it does apply to the vast majority of black countries and too many black people in Europe and the US…

1. So what is your point? And homophobia doesn’t take place in good old Europe? Obviously if you paid attention to the news gays in Russia have NO RIGHTS! Also, in other European countries such as Croatia just voted AGAINST giving gays the right to marry. We know African and Caribbean countries have homophobia. But don’t throw stones in glass houses, naybe some of you Europeans should look at the homophobia in your own backyard.

1. .....Paddyswurds 12 Jan, 3:12pm

Dave. I think the point is not that there are lots of homophobes in Europe: case in point is France in which homophobes took to the streets in thousands and some even murdered Gay people because they wanted to marry the person they loved. The point is that Black people who have been, and are still being discriminated against worldwide, should forget all that and themselves become rabid homophobes and discriminatory against another minority …..

2. Staircase2 7 Jan, 4:14am

Something which seems to have escaped your notice is that most of the homophobia in African countries is being fuelled and created by predominantly white American evangelical churches…

Having lost or losing the debate in America they have turned their attentions towards Africa.

It may also have escaped you attention that most of those countries with the broadest homophobia tend to be English speaking, ex British colonies. Most of their homophobic laws were actually introduced by the BRITISH during colonial rule.

Bang goes the ‘black people are more homophobic’ theory no…?

There are far too many white gay men (and it’s mostly gay men) on here who like to think of themselves in a little white bubble. I’m getting sick quite frankly of hearing the ongoing bleat about ‘black people should know better’ yet ignoring the fact YOU ALL SHOULD.

Pink News should also know better by giving you all disinformed fuel to burn your candles at both kneejerk ends.

THINK PEOPLE!

25. mohamed ahmed 5 Jan, 12:19am

i didnt know people still said batty boy after leaving primary school, but im glad i read the comments, regarding pantohorse posts

26. James! 5 Jan, 7:19am

This is where pink news got the story and you will see that there are also white people saying faggot which pink news ignored. So yes this site is run by bigots. X f u Ben Cohen you filthy racist cnut

1. Johann Fourie 5 Jan, 9:02pm

I don’t know which is more inappropriate being a racist or ranting like you and calling people cun ts ….

27. Is it me, or are most of the comments here from ethnic backgrounds. What are we teaching these children. And why the anger towards two men kissing?

28. Are all twitter Eastenders homophobes of West Indian descent? Anti gay sentiment is arguably more pronounced and accepted as the norm in the Black British community, but surely you could find some tweets that didn’t include the Jamaican patois term ‘batty man’ to illustrate your article? Unless you’re suggesting that ‘batty man’ has overtaken ‘faggot’ as the slur of choice on twitter? Must be the Alan Carr effect.

29. .....Paddyswurds 12 Jan, 3:01pm

So sad to see that Black people are in the majority when it comes to hatred of Gay people. What is even sadder is that they have such short memories. The majority of the tweets pictured in the article are obviously West Indian and very obviously people who spent most of their school days behind the bike shed instead of in English classes…..