4 February 2013Obama says Boy Scouts ban on gays must end 7 President Barack Obama said on Sunday that gay people should be allowed in the Boy Scouts of America, and that "nobody should be barred" from the experience of being a scout.
4 February 2013Maria Miller: Voting for same-sex marriage will promote stability, responsibility and pride 14 The Culture Secretary and Minister for Women and Equalities, Maria Miller has made a final plea to MPs and the public to support the Government's Marriage (Same-sex couples) bill to make same-sex marriage legal.
4 February 2013Tory MP Caroline Dinenage: Banning gay couples from marrying ‘takes nothing away from their relationship’ 39 Conservative MP Caroline Dinenage has told a PinkNews reader that the “state has no right” to redefine its meaning of marriage - she is the daughter of ITV regional news presenter Fred Dinenage.
4 February 2013New Archbishop of Canterbury: ‘Marriage is between a man and a woman, and always has been’ 72 The new Archbishop of Canterbury is expected to use his timely appointment, one day before the first vote on same-sex marriage, to announce his opposition to changes in the law.
4 February 2013Comment: Thank you Prime Minister for supporting equal marriage, it is going to benefit the trans community 22 Conservative Party member Tara Hewitt has written a letter to Prime Minister David Cameron, thanking him for supporting equal marriage in the face of heavy opposition from his party.
4 February 2013Ian McKellen: ‘Gay rights are advancing, but life is worse than ever for some gay people’ 16 Upon receiving an honorary doctorate from the University of Ulster, Ian McKellen praised work done by politicians to protect the rights of LGBT people, but said that the situation was "worse than ever" in some places.
4 February 2013David Cameron to defend equal marriage policy amid vociferous Tory revolt 16 David Cameron will reportedly speak out in favour of equal marriage later this evening, ahead of tomorrow’s first vote by MPs on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, according to the Times.
4 February 2013Amnesty: Russian anti-gay law will restrict the human rights of LGBT people 3 Amnesty International has spoken out against the Russian draft law which outlaws the “propaganda of homosexuality among minors”, saying that it restricts the human rights of LGBT people.
4 February 2013England cricketer Steven Davies: Gay football fans should not fear travelling to the next World Cups in Russia & Qatar 17 England and Surrey cricketer Steven Davies does not believe gay football fans should fear travelling to Russia or Qatar for the next two World Cups – even though the countries are known for gay hatred.
4 February 2013Benedict Cumberbatch in talks to play Alan Turing in biopic 7 Benedict Cumberbatch is reportedly in talks to play Alan Turing, in an upcoming biopic about the gay mathematician and codebreaker.
4 February 2013Feature: How the Cabinet will vote in tomorrow’s same-sex marriage bill 17 Tomorrow's vote on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill will see most of the Conservative Liberal Democrat Coalition cabinet coming out in support of same-sex marriage.
4 February 2013Jeremy Hunt: ‘Religious freedom is not just for straight people’ 9 Health Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, spoke out on Sunday in support of the upcoming equal marriage bill, saying that "religious freedom is not just for heterosexuals".
4 February 2013US: University unveils memorial centre plan for gay student suicide victim Tyler Clementi 1 A university in New Jersey plans to create a centre named after Tyler Clementi, the gay student who killed himself after his roommate used a webcam to spy on him kissing another man.
4 February 201350 senior local Tories write open letter to support same-sex marriage 12 A day after 23 present or former local Conservative association chairman or officials wrote to David Cameron to call on him to reject same-sex marriage, more than 50 current senior local Conservatives have written an open letter in support of the policy.
4 February 2013Iain Dale: An open letter to MPs – marriage belongs to society not just to the Church 6 The LBC presenter and political commentator Iain Dale has written to every MP to explain to them why they should vote in favour of same-sex marriage.
4 February 2013Mali: Two men saved from execution for being gay, following French intervention 11 Two men were saved from execution for being gay, after French, and other international forces intervened in Mali to end Islamist Rule.
4 February 2013Nadine Dorries: The same-sex marriage bill is ‘political suicide’ and it won’t make gay couples equal 55 Conservative MP Nadine Dorries has written of her opposition to the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, claiming that it fails to make same-sex marriage equal to heterosexual marriage in the eyes of the law.
4 February 2013Catholic League: ‘Gay’ dog being saved proves being gay is a ‘bonus’ for dogs and humans 15 The president of the Catholic League has responded to the news that a dog which was rescued after being condemned to being put down because his owner thought he was gay.
4 February 2013Vatican official: The Catholic Church is being ‘persecuted’ due to its anti-gay positions 160 The Vatican's head of doctrine says critics of his faith's anti-gay crusade are conducting a "concerted campaign" to discredit the Catholic Church that is resulting in open attacks against priests.
4 February 2013Peter Tatchell: Tory opponents to equal marriage are a ‘bigoted’ minority 5 Speaking ahead of Tuesday’s House of Commons vote on the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, Peter Tatchell has said that opponents to the bill in the Conservative Party were a minority and did not represent the views of the party.
Articles from 2013
- Chief Rabbi Lord Sacks: I’ve not come out strongly against same-sex unions, but in Judaism we don’t do them’9
- US: Boy Scouts council to vote on lifting ban on gay members+
- US church: Equal marriage bill is to blame for violent Woolwich murder7
- US Boy Scouts President: Allowing gay boy scouts would be ‘the right decision’+
- Peter Tatchell: ‘I may disagree with David Cameron on austerity, but on equal marriage I salute him’4
- Ukraine: Gay pride rally cancelled by court for fear that it will spark violence+
- Cornwall: Tory deputy chair Sarah Newton defends abstaining in equal marriage Commons vote13
- Sir Gerald Howarth: ‘I should have used ‘militant’ rather than ‘aggressive’ to describe the ‘homosexuality community’36
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill — Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends ‘aggressive homosexual community’ equal marriage slur59
- US church blames Woolwich suspected terror killing on UK acceptance of gay people46
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur 59
- David Cameron called 'marriage wrecker' and warned of 'long battle' over equal marriage in House of Lords47
- Seven amusing and shocking things we learned during the equal marriage debate7
- Columnist Richard Godwin: Does Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth 'dream that everyone in Soho wants to bum him?' 10
- Sir Gerald Howarth: 'I should have used 'militant' rather than 'aggressive' to describe the 'homosexuality community'36
- US church blames Oklahoma tornado on gay basketball player Jason Collins56
- US radio host: Employers should be allowed to discriminate against gays who 'display their lifestyle'46
- Lib Dem MP John Pugh criticised for voting against equal marriage bill -- Simon Hughes and Tim Fallon abstained17
- Canada lifts lifetime ban on gay men giving blood, but they can only donate if celibate for five years24
- London: Gay couple threatened with death in violent late night homophobic assault141
- Government considers watered down same-sex marriage bill to minimise Tory rebellion133
- Tory MP Gerald Howarth: 'There are plenty in the aggressive homosexual community who want more than just same-sex marriage'94
- France: Far right activist commits suicide in Notre Dame following legalisation of equal marriage93
- Philip Hammond: 'No great demand for gay marriage and it's upsetting vast numbers of people'73
- Government to consider abolishing civil partnerships or opening up to straight couples68
- Norman Tebbit: David Cameron has 'f**** things up' with his equal marriage bill66
- David Cameron: Gay teenagers will stand that bit taller following equal marriage vote62
- Tory MP Sir Gerald Howarth defends 'aggressive homosexual community' equal marriage slur59
- Lib Dem Deputy Leader Simon Hughes: 'Marriage should be between one man and one woman'58
Pink News on Twitter Follow @PinkNewsDownload our free app for iPhone + iPad Out4Marriage