Tory MP Tim Loughton: The government was ‘crass and clumsy’ on same-sex marriage

1. Does anyone else think that it might be Mr. Loughton who is “crass and clumsy”?

1. Yes, he is the clown who repeated “end of” in response to an interviewers question. But what was more alarming was that he seemed quite pleased with himself and demonstrated a complete lack of insight into what a prat he was. The clip is on “youtube” though must warn you, I felt embarrased for him.

2. Spoken like a true homophobe. Tally ho.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Dec 2013, 5:31pm

He claims he isn’t a homophobe because he supports CPs and has gay friends and constituent of course.

1. On the other hand, he opposes the equal age of consent, supports Section 28, opposes same-sex adoption, supported a wrecking amendment to the Civil Partnership Bill that would have allowed siblings to register civil partnerships, opposes anti-discrimination laws covering sexual orientation, opposes lesbians being allowed access to fertility treatment, and opposes gender recognition.

I don’t know why these idiots try and pretend that they have nuanced views on LGBT rights in the age of the internet. Tim Loughton’s uniformly homophobic and transphobic voting record is just a few clicks away.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Dec 2013, 5:30pm

Wasn’t crass and clumsy when NHS reform didn’t appear in the manifesto. All of his bogus support for straight CPS wasn’t on his radar when he first entered Parliament. How opportunistic is that? Clearly a wrecking tactic and I accused him of such in an heated email but of course as liars often do, he denied it. None of them supported str8 CPs until the marriage bill was introduced.

1. Robert-You have hit the nail squarely on the head-as always! Brilliant reposte! @BuddgGB

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Dec 2013, 8:59pm

Thanks, John. Didn’t realise we’re following one another on Twitter now I see your hashtag. My question is, why now, five months after the law was past that Loughton is now raising this nonsense? To make himself relevant in 2014? Just wait for the rants to begin when the first marriages take place on March 29th.

2. I really don’t like the Tories and am strongly against their NHS reforms, but I don’t understand how this myth has spread so widely. Their manifesto made it pretty clear that they were planning major NHS reforms. For example, “So we will give every patient the power to choose any healthcare provider that meets NHS standards, within NHS prices”, and “We will strengthen the power of GPs as patients’ expert guides through the health system by putting them in charge of commissioning local health services”.

3. Tory MP Tim Loughton is wrong and still deliberately attempting to mislead people.
      The commitment to looking into how to implement same sex marriage really did appear in the Tory 2010 manifesto document A Contract for Equalities which was publicised alongside the general manifesto itself.

4. Danny Boyd 30 Dec 2013, 5:46pm

It’s funny how God’s grace ends up with so many getting divorced. Also, isn’t it the case that there will be no equal marriage in the Church of England?

5. You are a Minister in the Government which acted in what you call a ‘crass and clumsy’ way.

Whatever happened to ‘Collective Responsibility’?

1. He’s just a backbencher now, having been sacked as Children’s Minister for being a bit useless and causing controversy. Even then, he was only a junior minister, so didn’t fall under Cabinet collective responsibility.

6. The same old chestnut is trotted out that “it wasn’t in any manifesto”. IT WAS !

He should have read the Torygraph before the election. Pink News should have corrected him !

1. Whoops, I’ve been terribly unfair to this honourable gentlemen…

I forgot that the Tories recently deleted everything pre-election from their website in case someone went back to check their promises. That’s why he couldn’t find it in the manifesto ! !

7. Lets be honest there would never have been a “right time” and it would always have been “crass & clumsy”! because Timmy got his nose well put out of joint by the big majority the legislation got in both the Commons and the Lords. And we now know who all the bigots are, forever etched on the public record. Now, if they would only stop whining, its just not good form you know.

8. The guy is a jerk, I wrote to him at the time, as a gay Tory who supports gay marriage, and I had very nasty reply from him beginning: “Why are you writing to me? I don’t know you etc……” A real horror

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Dec 2013, 9:33pm

I also had a very heated email exchange with him. He cut me off when I started to probe as to why he wasn’t making noise about straight CPs when they were first introduced in 2005, the year he entered Parliament I believe.

9. He’s a fascist, end of. Why do they always say most gay people I know do not want marriage, even if this was true so what some gay people with self worth do want equality, what’s their point when spouting this crap.

10. Tory MP Tim Loughton is wrong and still deliberately attempting to mislead people.

(I reposted this comment as I didn’t want it lost in the replies and overlooked entirely)

1. As Tim Loughton apparently doesn’t know what was in his own Tory Party 2010 manifesto it suggests he is incompetent, though I am of the opinion that he is likely fully aware that the topic of same sex marriage was included in the “Contract for Equalities” document as part of the manifesto and that he is lying due to his sheer homophobic wickedness.

11. It’s amazing how all these bigots seem to have an army of gay people who supposedly oppose same-sex marriage. I’m guessing they just cover their ears and scream “lalala” when shown social research showing how a clear majority (gay and straight) support the human right being there.

I’m starting to think these bigoted MP’s are schizophrenic. All these apparent gay people who oppose equality, and yet I’ve never met one of them.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Dec 2013, 9:31pm

None of their imaginary gay friends or constituents have stepped forward to support his claim. Where were they throughout the debate and why didn’t Loughton have some interviewed standing beside him? That goes for all of them who made identical claims. Burrowes and Dorries were two more.

2. Martin, I don’t necessarily think he has an army of gay o apparently gay people who opposed Marriage Equality… “I do however” suspect he was no sufficiently interested in phrasing or asking the right question because it didn’t suit his argument or objective.

I myself “might” have appeared to be one of these apparent gay people. If some random stranger asked me “Do you want to marry?” be they gay or straight, a significant number would say no! How ever if he had asked “are you in support of Equal Marriage?” gay or straight a significant number including myself would say yes!

Any survey can be manipulated to allude to the negative if you phrase the question to suit the response to a simple yes or no! by doing so you you don’t really ask the relevant question.

So his reality is these “apparently gay people he states didn’t want to marry” weren’t opposed to marriage, they simply (and now angrily learned) weren’t asked! and his survey result were guaranteed to favor his bigotry.

12. Robert in S. Kensington 30 Dec 2013, 9:36pm

Why is it he’s making a statement five months after the law was past? A bit late or irrelevant isn’t it? Being ignored is he and nothing else to say for himself? He puts the ‘nasty’ in Nasty Party.

13. The bigots keep saying about how they have been talking to gay people who say they don’t want or need equal marriage rights. Why the hell does that matter?! How is it relevant?
    I’m gay. Personally, I don’t want or need equal marriage. That doesn’t mean others shouldn’t have those rights.

Actually out of a family of five kids, not a single one of us has married. All of my sibs have the right to marry as they are heterosexual, yet choose not to. When are we going to hear politicians speaking up for them? Questioning whether there should be a right to marriage at all? I hear many heterosexuals say they don’t marry because they don’t want or need it.