US: Suspension of anti-gay reality star Phil Robertson lifted by A&E

1. Can’t say I’m surprised. They did exactly what I was expecting them to do all along. Cave into the bigots demands

I wouldn’t doubt that this whole sham was a PR stunt for the show.

However, there is a positive way to view this: the homophobes haven’t gained anything. Not really. Phil Nasty just hasn’t been fired.

But people who support equality have gained one thing, and that is the fact that A&E will now be running ‘pro-equal rights public service announcements’ in every commercial that this piece of trash show airs. And the bigoted Christians who support his views will have to sit through them each week.

2. That there, is the definition of redneck. But it’s the USA after all.

1. Christopher 28 Dec 2013, 3:52am

The funny thing is that they’re not rednecks, these guys are just pretending.

3. Oh give us a break A&E, you care about one thing and one thing only,
    this garbage with a following of over 9 million stupid Americans make big bucks for you, and you’re not about to let it go.

4. I suppose we can put ol’ Phil up on a cross now and stick a spear in him since he’s the new martyr for the Christian Right. Last year, it was the Chick-Fil-A Chicken being branded as the new saint of Christianity for standing up for all that is Holy Matrimony in the eyes of the Church. These folks want to be on the wrong side of history with their public criticism of homosexuality but cry fowl (pardon the pun) when their own bigotry is examined in a public light. Phil’s licking his fingers at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/08/holy-rollin-poultry-on-cross-chick-fil.html

5. Christopher in Canada 28 Dec 2013, 2:13am

Fortunately we live in an educated age where we can decide for ourselves whose opinion is worth respecting and what we watch on our TV. I would get nothing out of ever watching this show, and I wouldn’t be caught dead doing it, even though I grew up on a farm hunting and fishing in Northern Ontario – see? It’s NOT environment!! A generation ago, one of my favourite singers, Donna Summer, was “quoted” as saying anti-gay things – well, I never had the chance to speak to her personally about it, but I must say, I do love her voice and her music. What I buy into and who I might inadvertently support by doing it is my business.

Donna made me dance with joy. Duck Dynasty would only make me cringe. That’s all I need to know!

6. There is money to be made in hate. A&E is using the same excuse that Buju Bantons and Eminems record companies use.

One of these days it will catch up with them, but not today. Today A&E gets away with profiting from hate.

7. We lost this battle. For now.

8. Phil say, “Marriage is between one man and one vagina for life”
    His wife and doormat Kay said Phil was a drunk and a criminal in the 1970’s and he regularly threw her and the kids out of the house, the only thing that kept her in the marriage was a popular bumper sticker slogan “Men are Idiots and I married their King”

9. Colin(Queenstown/London) 28 Dec 2013, 9:32am

Scum man .scum chanel….money . USA says it all eh.

human rights ….

10. GingerlyColors 28 Dec 2013, 10:12am

Phil Robertson deserves a visit to another kind of A&E.
    Accident & Emergency!

11. This fad and fascination mainstream Americans have with the hillbilly redneck image will eventually fade with time. Its the 21st century version of the 1960’s TV show “The Beverly Hillbillies”

12. Robert in S. Kensington 28 Dec 2013, 12:41pm

Has he ever asked himself why some hetero males even married ones have a predilection for a female anus? They do exist. Does he not believe that heteros engage in other forms of sexual intimacy? Obviously the dumbing down of America with shows such as this is still ongoing. It’s all about distraction of the uneducated masses.

13. AMERICANS YOU DISGUST ME!

1. Oh no ! We disgusted JD. How WILL we sleep at night ???

14. ironic serendipity 28 Dec 2013, 1:17pm

Hmm…so 10 million people in US regularly have watched this show. That’s about less than 3% of the population. Big deal. Even the UK has their BNP crowd, they just don’t have a reality show they follow religiously. A loud mouth doesn’t mean they represent the whole country.

The irony is that whilst this ‘scandal’ was happening, the courts in the US brought gay marriage to New Mexico and Utah and recognised out of state marriage in Ohio. This is what truly matters, and the dominoes are falling. These ‘duckwits’ and their fake really show are a storm in a teacup.

15. Lets be honest here, these shows pander to the idiotic masses anyway. It’s the US equivalent of TOWIE, would any intelligent person be watching them? It’s not like these people are influencing anyone who isn’t already thick as sh*t.

I predict that this show will get a momentary boost from the radical right-wingers in the US, then that support will tail off as they go back to their God channel or some ranting loon begging them to send him money to make their wishes come true. By the time that happens, the youth will have moved on to a new breed of Kardashian or Honey Booboo and these mental defectives will be back to what they were doing before.

16. RIP A&E. I miss the days when it still had programs of quality like Biography.

17. Disgusting. A&E have proven they are a homophobic and racist organisation – at least everyone knows now, and anyone who doesn’t like homophobic and racist TV stations can turn off.

1. Mark, whilst I agree any one who does not like homophobic and racist TV stations can turn off. There is an unfortunate side! turning off does not impact on the revenue generated for A&E. Because TV providers frequently bundle programing into categories, turning of this channel therefore does not impact A&E financially because they can capitalize on the knowledge part of package subscriptions lining their pockets. Only when deregulation takes place and specialty channels are purchased individually and subscription revenues influence programing will we see lame duck stars dropped or subscriber statistics become a consideration to these networks.

18. If gay activists weren’t going nuts over this non-entity making those silly statements, it wouldn’t have even caused a ripple in the public consciousness. NOW the show will have twice as many viewers (just tuning in out of curiosity) and their (probable) publicity stunt worked.

19. karin Morris 2 Jan, 6:16pm

I find it humorous that the man doesn’t know the difference between bestiality and bisexualty. Please get an education before getting on a public soapbox