UK: Tory councillor to stand down because of David Cameron’s decision to legalise equal marriage

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2013, 4:19pm

Mr. Brunt, it is a sad day for this country when religious bigotry supports discrimination against people who should be treated equally under the law. Civil Marriage has NOTHING to do with religious marriage.

1. Keith moral educator 30 Dec 2013, 12:01pm

You have no concept of moral wrong.

2. “I am a Christian and my view is that marriage should be between a man and a woman,”
    But you do NOT have the right to enforce your “religious” view on other people of this secular State!
    Can you not yet get this into your thick head?

1. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2013, 4:37pm

Of course he can’t. Religious nutters are incapable of discerning the difference between what is religious and what isn’t. How arrogant they are to even believe they can impose their religious beliefs on others.

3. How childish. Not that I’m complaining, any time a bigoted tory steps down I’m a happy guy.

4. Goodbye love

5. Having read the poem about Alan Turing, I am tempted to write one about Cliff Brunt. Won’t be difficult to find an appropriate rhyme for his surname.

1. Precisely my first thought when I read his surname…. oh Brunt, rhymes with ……. shunt…. of course…..

2. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2013, 6:53pm

I dare you!

6. What a pointless gesture. Four-eyed git.

1. Oi! I wear glasses too, occasionally! And a lot of us here at PN do!

7. Yet another closet-case homophobe using the fig-leaf of Christianity to justify his bigotry.

1. Totally correct. The bigger the homophobe, the bigger the closet case.

8. Joseph 1968 - a good year for classy people 27 Dec 2013, 5:56pm

Just leave the door open on your way out for all like-minded to follow you. Bye!

9. Buh-bye! Like we need immature “christians” calling the shots anyway

10. Is this really news, though except on a very local level? So some idiot local councillor from Little Puddle on the Marsh is going to stand down because his morals are offended- who actually cares? One less homophobe to have any influence at all.

1. “Little-Puddle-on-the-Marsh”! I like it! Must remember to use it myself! Is it your own invention, Ron?

1. Yeah, for what it’s worth. ;-)

11. This isn’t the market town of Hadleigh in Suffolk, but the south Essex town of Hadleigh (part of the Basildon/Southend conurbation)… Rather different places all-in-all.

12. Paula Thomas 27 Dec 2013, 6:51pm

Bit of a delayed reaction isn’lt it?

13. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2013, 6:56pm

Yes, Mr. Brunt. Those same religious beliefs which brought homophobia to the former colonies and now the re-emergence of anti-gay legislation in Uganda, India and elsewhere including Russia.

14. Dave Dickinson 27 Dec 2013, 7:17pm

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out…

15. Bye bye Mr Brunt. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

16. Good riddance , he’s evil, christian scum consumed with hatred and persecution of gay people.

17. The tragic reality is that Brunt’s opinion is the most common opinion on equal marriage in the Law and Justice Tory Party.

Over 50% of Tory MPs think we are 2nd class citizens.

The Tory Party remains a party of homophobic bigotry – despite the efforts of Cameron and this website to pretend otherwise

1. Tosh – the reason he is stepping down is because he is out of step with the Tory Party! In Parliament the Conservatives have more out gay MPs than all the other parties put together. In Battersea someone tried to unseat the constituency Chairman after the local MP, Jane Ellison, supported equal marriage. There was a vote of the membership at the AGM and in a packed room the dissenter managed to amass one vote – his own.

18. Beelzeebub 27 Dec 2013, 9:44pm

Excellent. One less religious bigot in a position of power.

19. Why wait go now ! Cya

20. Missing you already, Mr … er, what was your name again?

21. “I am a Christian and my view is that you gay couples cannot get married because it is against my religion.”

22. I would love to be a councilor and step in and sort this out .. But I have just realized that I can’t get my head up my rear end to fulfill the requirements of this party

23. Oh Good! Hopefully a few more will follow!!!!!

24. This silly Christian Brunt may just be trying to do as much damage as he can to Cameron while actually stepping down for other reasons.

25. Good. One less religious bigot polluting young minds with irrational hatred has got to be excellent news

26. The only reason he should be standing down is that he is incapable of doing his job for all of his constituents.

It’s quite simple, if you are elected into a position in our SECULAR NATION, you have no place using your religious beliefs to discriminate against groups of the public.

These people should be fired with immediate effect, not given the chance to step down. This is a SECULAR NATION, and we will not tolerate religious people using their beliefs as an excuse to attack or restrict groups of citizens.

He does not deserve a position in politics.

27. So why not resign immediately?
    If you don’t like party policy don’t carry the Conservative whip. It’s simple as that. So why doesn’t he stand down immediately?
    Of course that would involve giving up his Councillors Allowance all the perks and expenses that go with it.

28. Bye bye asshole slither with rest of the dinosaurs