Peter Tatchell urges Prime Minister to launch new probe into Alan Turing’s death and to extend pardon

1. That is a great letter, Peter. It has been well thought through and covers all the points. Thanks to your high profile, Cameron will be forced to respond responsibly. I feel he may try to brush off the call for an inquiry into Turing’s death but I can’t see him being able to dodge the pardon for other victims.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 27 Dec 2013, 1:55pm

Excellent letter but I very much doubt it will go anywhere. Lib Dem Lord Sharkey I believe is looking into the 50,000+ victims. He was responsible for taking the pardon through the Lords.

3. Its a terrible letter and continues on the tradition of recycling old wounds.

Whats the statute of limitations on anger, hate and fear Peter?

Dont misunderstand my comment, we should ALWAYS remember the past, it is a part of who we are as a community, but when do we heal and move forward?

Enough is enough.

1. This is part of the healing and moving forward process. Were you imprisoned for homosexuality in the 1960s? No? Then who are you to speak for the surviving victims and loved ones of the now deceased?

2. An injustice is an injustice until it is effectively remedied.

It does not cease to be an injustice merely because of the passage of time.

3. Jack Freeman 27 Dec 2013, 6:34pm

part of the healing process involve righting old wrongs…cleaning up the wreckage of the past is not just for individuals, it is for nations as a whole also.

4. Helge Vladimir Tiller 27 Dec 2013, 2:25pm

I do think the absolute majority of LGBTQ persons in Europe (–and everywhere else ) agree with Peter Tatchell !

5. Philip Breen 27 Dec 2013, 4:58pm

Let Peter Tatchell not forget to speak out for all those criminalized for ‘soliciting or persistently importuning by man for an immoral purpose’. These convictions were established by police entrapment/pretty police routine. Thousands of men remain hampered by DBS disclosure that thwarts employment and volunteering possibilities. When men were caught in sexual behaviour in public lavatories or in ‘cruising’ locations, they were prosecuted for ‘gross indecency’. The ‘soliciting’ conviction only required that one were hanging around in such locations, even if one had no intention of having sex on the premises.

6. Philip Breen 27 Dec 2013, 5:04pm

I apologise. I should have read Mr Tatchell’s letter less hastily. He does mention ‘soliciting’. If Mr Cameron won’t recommend pardons for fear of compensation costs, then ‘disregarding’ and ‘filtering’ from DBS enhanced disclosures would be a step forward that would genuinely improve the lives of thousands of gay men.

7. Hienrich Pullman 28 Dec 2013, 4:23am

Turing was Guilty under the law at the time, so it was. The queers try to talk about loving another man? never mention sodomy, cock-sucking as that is what make them queer and ill. Most Degenerates are not born ill, they choose their {disease} and spread it to Normals they are not gay, they stole that nice word, they are sickos and bent they are not pride they are vile sick poofs Turing was castrated !!! what waste the poof could never make babies like the fags/ dikes cant they are a blight on humanity, no good for the Human Race Gay? Got Aids yet!!!

8. DAVID JAMES KNIGHT 28 Dec 2013, 8:02am

I WAS BROUGHT UP CHRISTIAN AND WENT TO A METHODIST PUBLIC SCHOOL. I THOUGHT HOMOSEXUALITY WAS A SIN AND DID NOT KNOW ANY GAY MAN LET ALONE LIVE WITH ONE. I WAS SENT TO HOLLOWAY SANATORIUM AND GIVEN INSULIN AND ELECTRIC SHOCK TREATMENT.I COULD ONLY GET A PORTER’S JOB WHEN I LEFT AND AT FORTY WITH THE CHANGE IN THE LAW, I CAME OUT TO MYSELF AND OTHERS. I HAVE FOUND LIFE DIFFICULT BUT I AM HAPPY! I . ATTEND AND TAKE PART IN RICHMOND UNITARIAN CHURCH

1. Philip Breen 31 Dec 2013, 5:28pm

Your deeply distressing story highlights why we cannot stand still in our fight for justice for LGBT people who have to face hurdles even nowadays to manage, yet alone get ahead. I hope you find some peace and that nobody ever experiences that kind of treatment on our shores again.

9. I bet the majority of gayers have no idea who Alan Turing is.

So long as it’s a victory for gaying then it’s a victory.

10. Dr David Hill 28 Dec 2013, 10:00pm

A little too late and I wish Peter Tatchel well with his quest but where there are certainly double standards when it comes to the ‘Establishment’ – http://worldinnovationfoundation.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/the-establishment-makes-amends-but_720.html

Dr David Hill
    World Innovation Foundation

11. “There is no known evidence pointing to any such act” Classic Saint Peter.

12. Julia Turing 29 Dec 2013, 8:42pm

I, like Alan’s mother, would prefer to believe that Alan’s death was accidental, that Alan would never put friends, neighbors, colleagues and staff at Manchester Univ. and family members through such painful distress and the upheaval that suicide causes. To those who do not know much about Alan Turing, he was emotionally very controlled and stoic, not one to show emotional outbursts like crying or to complain, he kept it inside. There is plenty of evidence prior to his death that he was preparing. 1) He completes his Last Will in Feb.1954 a few months before his death. 2) He seeks psychotherapy willingly on his own not forced by court order. 3) He is devastated and humiliated publicly when charged with a crime and forced to be chemically castrated which damaged his ability the think clearly, concentrate and memory loss. He couldn’t run anymore which was very important to him mentally and physically, thus he gained weight. 4) He made the bad mistake by talking to a fortune

13. julia Turing 29 Dec 2013, 9:07pm

teller who told him 2 horrible things that put him in shock. 5) He was being watched which made him anxious everywhere he went, thus he stayed home much more. 6)His security clearance was revoked which can destroy one’s career in govt. work. 7) His next door neighbors moved out who he dearly enjoyed. Though Mrs. Webb adored Alan, Mr Webb did not like him at all. This I believe pushed him over the edge if all the other events weren’t enough! They moved out a few days before he died. 8) massive amounts of KCN was found throughout his body and 4oz of concentrated KCN in his stomach, way more than just taking a couple bites from a 1/2 slice of a red delicious apple which was his favorite (not a whole green apple with a bite taken as often depicted). KCN in pure crystalline form (found in his top dresser drawer) is very powerful and bitter, a few bites from a sweet apple would help rid the bitterness from his mouth. Since the apple was never examined we will never really know if the apple

14. julia Turing 29 Dec 2013, 9:31pm

contained KCN. Since Alan’s body was cremated it cannot be reexamined for further study nor DNA samples collected.
    I applaud you Mr. Tatchell for posing the question of murder and wanting more investigation into Alan’s death especially in light of the fact that the investigation and autopsy of Alan Turing was shoddy if not just plain poorly done. They didn’t even get a body weight recorded which is routine in an autopsy! If the British Govt. has documents to show that Alan was murdered and they are willing to release them, it would be quite a mind-blowing revelation to say the least!! However, I don’t think any govt. official would allow this to happen. Imagine the civil unrest it would bring about as more people are learning more about Alan Turing and love him even 1/2 as much as I have loved him all my life. There would be outrage and chaos in the streets of London and Manchester for sure.
    Mr. Tatchell, I wish you my best in finding evidence contrary to suicide.