Lib Dem equal marriage critic Simon Hughes appointed Minister for Justice

1. Given what are the “rules” of coalition government – insofar as I understand them – I’d imagine he was nominated for this post by Nick Clegg, rather than David Cameron.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Dec 2013, 3:54pm

Apparently, 95 ministers are the maximum allowed in the Commons, yet he will become number 96. How is that?

The coward abstained in 3rd reading of the Marriage Bill and believes marriage (civil in this case) was ordained by his sky pixie?. Another religious loon we don’t need in Parliament.

3. Danny Boyd 18 Dec 2013, 4:43pm

Probably a pre-cursor to him going to the Lords when he (hopefully) loses his seat at the next election. This charlaton ran a homophobic campaign against Peter Tatchell, only to announce he was bisexual himself years later.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Dec 2013, 7:15pm

I remember that ugly campaign very well. Hughes is a loathsome character, no integrity and not the sort of people we want when it comes to equality. Give me a straight supporter any day. I don’t even believe he’s bi either, probably gay all the way but too self-loathing enough to admit it. Has he dated any intimate affairs with females since he ‘came out’ I wonder? Once you get his type using religion to deny us access to civil marriage, then you know you’re dealing with one f_cked up individual. I regret that he’s supposedly on our team.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Dec 2013, 7:17pm

Has he dated or had any intimate affairs with females I meant to have said….

2. Bisexual??? I doubt he’s ever been near a woman’s nether regions.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Dec 2013, 10:11pm

Probably right. Or could it be he is asexual?

4. A loathsome character with no integrity. He should fit right in.

5. “In September 2012, the MP told the Huffington Post that he would not serve in government as he liked being able to speak his mind to “any [Lib Dem] minister from Nick (Clegg) downwards”.

A resolution he kept for not quite three months. Hughes needs to make up his mind before he can speak it.

6. Philip Breen 18 Dec 2013, 5:40pm

Given the the public knowledge of the truth in of all the above comments before mine, I am prepared to give S.Hughes the benefit of the doubt and hope he might do something as justice minister to help gay people get on with their lives. He can explain to T.May why it is unjust to treat men convicted of the old & spent gay offences, soliciting/importuning, gross indecency between men, as if they were incipient pedophiles, & so change the yet legally required disclosure by the DBS of the old spent and repealed gay offences on enhanced CRB checks that unquestionably thwart gay people working & volunteering in a variety of sectors. Unless proven otherwise within case notes, these men were simply looking for other gay men, they were not looking for minors. If they address this issue, we’ll be able to see how true to his word S.Hughes is or not. Added to which, with Norman Baker as Home Office minister and colleague, they are in joint positions to get things organised and changed.

7. Colin (Queenstown/London) 18 Dec 2013, 7:11pm

I’m horrified
    A religious biggot to an important job Minister for Justice. Please someone tell me this a joke…please.
    Shocked and disgusted.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Dec 2013, 8:01pm

Indeed, but he didn’t believe in justice by voting against the marriage bill in final reading but instead allows his religious beliefs to promote inequality. What a hypocrite but then the majority of so called Christians are.

8. This can’t possibly be the same Simon Hughes I saw with his face burried in in an other guys face in a gay pub in Bournmouth during the Liberal Conference in 19** the year LibDems ratified their gay rights policy and councillor Brian Stone took to the dance floor at the Conference dance with another guy, just to cement the decision.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 18 Dec 2013, 10:13pm

It probably is the same one.

9. RosemaryCGonzalez 18 Dec 2013, 11:23pm

My co-worker’s mother makes 81 Dollars every hour on the internet. She has been without work for 6 months but last month her payment was 18818 Dollars just working on the internet for a few hours. She bought an almost buttplug from Mobbydkman! browse around this website……………T­EC­3­­0.C­O­M

10. James Campbell 19 Dec 2013, 2:38am

Hughes’ appontment is a sick joke and an insult to gay people. I wonder where this paragon of liberal ideals stands on marriage of intersex people who don’t play by binary rules?

11. That There Other David 19 Dec 2013, 10:24am

It’s bad enough that they’re refusing EU money to help food banks, blaming people who need them for falling into poverty, and actively working to hide the stats of just how many people in this country have fallen into that position, but their constant pandering to anti-EU xenophobes and religious interests, their efforts to destroy the NHS, and their complete disinterest in the views, opinions or needs of everyone who wasn’t born with a huge trust fund and their private school place assured is making me want to go V for Vendetta on their privileged obnoxious backsides.

I’m actually hoping for a Labour landslide in 2015. The Tories are vile, and the Lib Dems repugnant. I’d rather have incompetence over this self-serving bunch.

Oh, and Hughes is a big self-loathing pseudo-closet case who needs to wake up to himself.

12. I find Simon Hughes to be repulsive in so many ways, he gives me the creeps.