Star of BBC sitcom denies calling PinkNews reader a ‘Batty man’ on Twitter

1. Dont buy it for a second. Its all a little too specific to not be her. I dont think she is necessarily homophobic, but she had a momentary lapse of judgement.

1. Midnighter 17 Dec 2013, 9:16pm

Nor me. What she says in the heat of the moment (or while drunk or whatever) may not fit the image she would prefer to present to the world, but that doesn’t alter the fact that this was a disgraceful bit of behaviour on her part.

No TV exec of a show which is (presumably) trying to be inclusive of a minority group is going to look favourably upon an actress who jeopardises ratings with vitriolic tantrums chosen explicitly to be offensive to that very group.

2. Er… Stu. WE didn’t attack first.

2. I was a bit disappointed by her tweets. If she genuinely was hacked she could have at least tweeted me to say so. It’s not the worst thing I’ve been called but I think she was silly to say such a thing when I hadn’t even insulted her boyfriend. It was quite a bizarre response considering I tweeted several days ago. It’s not something I would “create” about as a rule. It was just one of those things I kind of laughed at to myself from being stunned by the tweet. It wasn’t something I retweeted either. Obviously some people had seen it and made comments about it to me. I hope that she’s not genuinely homophobic and it was not really a representation of what she actually thought

1. She was not hacked. The chances of that happening just at the right time are astronomical, and why exactly would a random hacker even know who she was or that your tweet was relevant to the account? You didn’t address her in it, so the person responding to it would have to have a personal connection and awareness of it.

Unless Harvey himself hacked her account, she’s lying about this.

1. ‘She was not hacked’

And how do you know? Were you there? This is your opinion stop stating this as fact when it is still your assumption….

3. Why have you stressed she’s a “BBC actress” in the headline?
    Your obsession with bashing Auntie Beeb makes you sound like a gay Daily Mail.
    Oh hang on…

4. Ah the old “I was hacked” excuse that’s always trotted out whenever someone thinks before they tweet.

5. Actress? I’d use the term loosely! Diana Rigg she ain’t!

6. I really think she is lying. Panic made her delete her account. Why was she in an Internet cafe? And how do you not log off properly? Terrible liar…

1. Midnighter 17 Dec 2013, 8:57pm

Yep, I really doubt anyone believes her, we hear this lame excuse all the time.

The odds that she was being a bigot when angry (and / or drunk etc) seem vastly higher than a malicious 3rd party behaving to all intents and purposes exactly how she might were she and angry (and / or drunk etc).

In celebrity speak, “I was hacked” is just another insulting PR driven attempt to claim complete innocence while the world can see your hand’s in the cookie jar.

7. Joanne Matthews 17 Dec 2013, 9:16pm

I am innocent. I’m not even with Brian anymore so why would I go out of my way to defend him? I’ve been set up.

1. You should report this to the police immediately then, as you allege to be a victim of defamation.

2. PantoHorse 18 Dec 2013, 9:59am

A set up implies a deliberate, premeditated attempt to do something malicious to a targeted person or persons. Someone opportunistically accessing your twitter account in an internet cafe after you’ve not logged off properly would not have been premeditated or targeted at you specifically. I’d stick to reading lines someone else has given you, as you’re not very good at writing them yourself.

8. People, please calm down! Attacking first & asking questions later is what our enemies do, we gain nothing by doing the same. I have no problem admitting I don’t know who this lady is, but give her the right to reply, maybe some idiot did actually get hold of her phone & send some stupid messages, it’s happened to people I know recently! Maybe we should wait for the whole story before we crucify her?

1. Er… Stu. WE didn’t attack first.

9. If she’s innocent of this, then why has it not been reported to the police? for defamation of character. I’m sure cctv/IT expertise could easily find who is the true culprit.

10. If it’s a case of hacking then that really is unfortunate and you have my sympathy. The last thing I would want is aggravation. However Joanne, you were active on twitter today, hours after the tweets were sent last night and before the account was deleted. So if you were hacked you still had access to your account today. It wouldn’t have been too hard to tweet me and explain. I would have totally understood. To be honest I’ve been called MUCH worse by a handful of rather heavily religious people and I didn’t expect this to get picked up. However because Twitter is so public, other people saw those tweets and several of my followers saw them. As a result, because of your comments and your role on TV it became a story. But if you truly are sorry and those comments were a mistake then fine

11. Not bothered by this much, but I do love an excuse to re-read the story about how Brian Harvey ran himself over with his car because he’d eaten too many jacket potatoes. LOLZ.

12. So why did she no call the police in? can we ask Twitter for the IP address to see if this post was tweeted from the cafe or some where else?

13. Read all the way through until ” but I have got lots of gay friends…” then stopped. She wrote the homophobic stuff herself.

14. That’s remarkable timing… being “hacked” just as someone tweets something about your ex-boyfriend and his WTF headline story. And why, exactly, would a random person hacking an account even have a clue who she was or that the story was relevant to her?

What are the mathematical chances of someone sitting down at a public computer, knowing who she was, finding her account open, and then attacking someone over such a personal issue?

I’m sorry, but this “hacked” story is utter BS. Any sane and logical person can see that she is lying.

Think about the probability of her being hacked, just as this happened. It must be millions to one.

15. So sick of the “I got hacked!” excuse. When someone slips up and in a moment of bad judgement says something nasty or stupid I am still ready to let it go if there is an honest real apology. The person has to own the mistake for me to forgive. When they compound it by lying and continuing to dodge responsibility I’m much less likely to forgive. Any apology that comes after all that is much more likely to be damage control, and not actually real remorse.

1. Midnighter 18 Dec 2013, 5:25pm

Me too, but that is the culture we live in where image and spin is understood, and integrity and dignity are alien concepts. “I’m sorry because I got caught” as opposed to “I’m sorry I did a bad thing”.

I like to think its getting better though: social media is great at catching out hypocrisy and subverting the marketing efforts of the mainstream media.

16. RosemaryCGonzalez 18 Dec 2013, 11:37pm

My co-worker’s mother makes 81 Dollars every hour on the internet. She has been without work for 6 months but last month her payment was 18818 Dollars just working on the internet for a few hours. She bought an almost buttplug from Mobbydkman! browse around this website……………T­EC­3­­0.C­O­M

17. I have worked with Joanne for a number of years and this is indeed her. She often uses anger and bitterness as her responses rather than taking a second to breathe, think and be rational. She needs to take a look at herself and realise and admit to her errors. The more she defends and lies the worse she looks. She should be ashamed. Of course she wasn’t hacked. All the evidence points otherwise.