James Arthur: I have felt ‘deep, deep shame’ for using homophobic lyrics

1. Awww poor baby. How truly AWFUL for you! All those mean people calling you out for your hateful bigotry. How my heart bleeds for you.

Maybe next time you’ll remember this and think about how horrible you made other people feel.

2. This is about his shame? Because it seems to be far more about his self-pity and just how AWFUL it was for him, poor little precious

3. If he has apologised, and learnt from this. I can forgive him. Everyone makes mistakes and truly there is a lot worse going on in the world in regards to discrimination against the LGBTQ community. We all make mistakes and all grow from them if we are truly sorry.

1. Although I don’t think he should have made excuses for his actions as there is nothing he can do but admit is was wrong and he is sorry.

2. Mumbo Jumbo 16 Dec 2013, 7:48pm

In general, I agree completely. In this particular instance, I’m not so sure. perhaps I’m wrong but it still seems to be all about himself rather than him having a meaningful revelation in respect of the harm he has done to others.

1. I know, I sense that too, I just hope not, but to be honest there are always going to be people that discriminate, I don’t know much about the guy and don’t really care how this has affected him. I care that he changes his views so that others may not be hurt by his words.

3. DCBrighton 16 Dec 2013, 7:58pm

No apology for his hate filled words. No, none.
      “Maybe I suffer for my art.” – James Arthur 2013

1. Heaven forbid we should actually forgive someone for what they have made clear was a mistake. We are all perfect after all

1. “But since becoming famous, I’ve had a depressive nature. It’s a curse. Maybe I suffer for my art.”

He sounds so remorseful, doesn’t he?

4. Maybe if he seemed sincere – but every “apology” from the man seems to be another round of “this has been sooo awful for me!” Begging for pity =/= apology

4. My heart bleeds. This requires an uaquivical apology not an excuse. You are an adult and you understandMy heart bleeds. This requires an unequivocal apology not an excuse. You are an adult and you understand perfectly well the power of words. You know exactly what you are doing. You chose your homophobic words for the impact they would have. Grow a pair! perfectly well the power of words. You know exactly what you are doing. You chose your homophobic words for the impact they would have. Grow a pair!

5. My heart bleeds. This requires an unequivocal apology not an excuse. You are an adult and you understand perfectly well the power of words. You know exactly what you are doing. You chose your homophobic words for the impact they would have. Grow a pair!

6. Situations like this can be indicative of how society is moving. The reaction to his nastiness has brought criticism across the board – including, it seems, his sisters classmates. What he said was vile and homophobic but I accept his apology. He has shown more regret than lots of the sports stars who’s press relations people issue apologies for them.

7. The Supreme Being 16 Dec 2013, 7:55pm

Really feel that bad? Feeling huge amount of shame? Put your money where your homophobic mouth is and donate to a LBGT charity.

8. So is he finally giving a quasi apology for his homophobic hatred? it seems to be more of how nasty people are for calling him out on his bigotry. This talentless chump is full of self pity, had to laugh at the pitiful suffering for his art drivel. He’s a glorified karaoke entrant with over inflated ego, pretty much like the x-factor clones that support him. if he finds fame such a burden, the sooner he drifts back to obscurity the better, so why is he still snivelling on to the media, he’s full of sh*t.

1. Err, he actually apologised the very day it happened. Don’t let the facts get in the way of a good witch hunt. Enjoy letting out all your frustrations.

9. can we have news stories about things we actually care about, please

10. I hope he, his fans, his peers, his generation realise how words can be offensive and certain words in ignorant hands can undermine everything that is being done to achieve equality. I hope his apology is sincere.

11. What about the depression I have to suffer everytime he comes on TV? Where’s my headline?

12. I don’t appreciate to be treated as if I were more stupid than I actually am. His grandma died and he sat down and wrote a homophobic lyric and recorded it. He suffers from his art. And yes, the poor thing is depressed because his slurs weren’t celebrated. He not only wrote the lyrics, he went on to insult other people and he confirmed he was a homophobe.
    He is sorry that things have changed and that far from helping his carreer and his feelings did the opposite. And by the way, I only think bad of Nicole Scherzinger who “spoke out last week to say that she only thought well of Arthur”.

13. FFS man up James. It’s not all about pitying you.

14. Now he knows, first hand, what many gay people suffer daily – marginalised and mXe to feel ashamed simply or being who fhey are.

15. The Pink News headline is very misleading. He does not apologise for “using homophobic lyrics” – he’s saying no more than he said when he appeared on the X Factor recently.

16. ” since becoming famous,”?????

Maybe I suffer for my homophobic art, I should have asked Pam Ayres

The wail of his own voice sounds like music to his ears
    And he hasn’t got an inkling that he’s boring us to tears.
    His friends don’t call so often, they’ve busy lives you know
    But who wants to hear a homophobic windbag suck and blow.

1. You don’t think he’s famous? Why are we talking about this then?

1. I think right now it’s a matter of infamy, it’s quite a different thing.

17. I think his downfall will be a lesson to all artists out there.

Some of the guys that buy your music are gay. We won’t buy your music if it’s filled with homophobia. And we’ll make one hell of a song and dance about it too!

1. What music of his is ‘filled with homophobia’? He did one silly unreleased rap against an enemy. We’re deluded.

18. Christopher in Canada 17 Dec 2013, 3:57am

Fry me a liver.

19. Kerry Hollowell 17 Dec 2013, 8:06am

how about he really shows how sorry he is and donates the proceeds from his record sales to an appropriate charity?

20. “my sister, my gran’s death, my depression, my confidence, my week in bed, my fame, my curse, my ‘art’, my shame, me, me, me, me, me, me, me and thinking about how much money I’ll loose and how people judge me, me, me, me, me, and how much money I’ll loose.”

I’m so sick of being used as a punchbag. And I’m sick of homophobes apologising after the fact and then thinking everything is okay for them when the damage has been done. I still hope he looses his record deal.

21. We’re bullying him now. He made one stupid mistake and apologised eloquently on twitter immediately. But of course, instead of looking at what we could do to make things actually better, like everyone else, we love a good witch hunt.

1. You’re clearly a big fan of his after reading all your replies. But spare me his sob story. The only thing that will make it better is if James Arthur looses his recording contract and so future ‘musicians’ then know that it is unacceptable to record homophobic raps. If he had been racist to the extent he was homophobic, that would have already happened.

and btw, a witch hunt is carried out by the majority on a minority – I think you’ll find that we (the minority) are the victims of the witch hunt, and have been for a long time. That’s the whole point, James Arthur joined the witch hunt against us. So please don’t make out that poor little Arthur is the victim here. He isn’t.

22. Christopher 17 Dec 2013, 12:20pm

Speaking in an interview with the Sun on Sunday, the X Factor 2012 winner said: ”All my confidence has disappeared because the whole nation thinks I’m a homophobe who looks like a monster. I couldn’t speak to anyone for a week. It was awful.

“My little sister was being bullied in school and I was receiving constant death threats.”

“I stayed in bed for days on end… Any time I tried to get up, I couldn’t. I felt deep, deep shame about my mistakes since winning the show. I kept thinking, ‘What the f**k have I done?”

He continued: “But since becoming famous, I’ve had a depressive nature. It’s a curse. Maybe I suffer for my art.”

relax faggots.. jeez.. no better than them

23. ItchycooMark 17 Dec 2013, 3:06pm

why you even giving this guy the publicity??

24. I don’t believe in holding a grudge. He has apologized and I think he should be given a second chance. People do change. I use to be a major homophobe myself and used the F*& word often. I have since learned how stupid it all was.

25. “Deep Deep Shame” (for years we have been told, that’s how we should feel) Depression,( we get that from hetero’s via the first comment). Welcome to OUR world you bloody whimp.

26. hey no one’s perfect…well except ME…but if people like James can show regret…what the heck?…he deserves the benefit of the redeem’n himself. best he could do is speak up to others to learn from his mistakes since he’s got a paltform!

27. hey no one’s perfect…well except ME…but if people like James can show regret…what the heck?…he deserves the benefit of the redeem’n himself. best he could do is speak up to others to learn from his mistakes since he’s got a platform!