BBC: Presenters can promote National Christmas Jumper Day & Movember but not World AIDS Day

1. It seems that with each passing month there are more and more reasons to stop paying a license fee.
    None of this makes sense. It seems as though someone high-up at the BBC has some personal bigotry towards this particular charitable cause, as it’s the only one being refused. Or, just perhaps, it was an opportunity for some powerful bigots at the BBC to attack Norton?

I cannot see any other explanation for this. They are not answering questions about it, they are trying to ignore the issue, and no one at the BBC seems capable of confronting their own hypocrisy on this issue.

They don’t seem to realize that they are digging themselves a deeper hole, and this is becoming more obviously about bigotry with each passing day.

I think it might be time to approach Ofcom, make a formal complaint about this, point out that this seems to be a specific bigotry from the BBC either against this charitable cause or against Norton himself.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Dec 2013, 1:21pm

Bigotry, hypocrisy and a brilliant example of the double standard. Only charities such as the British Legion and Save the Children are permitted, so how on earth can the BBC justify impartiality? Now that it has proved otherwise, it does make me wonder if the homophobic label is applicable irrespective of Graham Norton who in my view is the token gay presenter so that nobody could claim the BBC is homophobic.

I’ve said this many times before but just look at the very negative way it handled the equal marriage debate, giving unbalanced air time to the opposition as one example. .

3. Midnighter 15 Dec 2013, 1:25pm

In case anyone was interested, I have just signed the petition and prefixed the boilerpate with the following:

Why is it that the BBC as a public-owned body has to date rejected suggestions for a review regarding this ban in such a brusque and ‘jobsworth’ manner?

I have seen a response from the BBC claiming “long standing convention” as being a reason for permitting certain exceptions to your ban on worn symbols. I would like to point out that “habit”; “convention”; “tradition” and other such terms are not in fact a reason in themselves; they are merely what happens when people don’t – or aren’t permitted to – question the status quo.

If the current position is the correct one, then a review will ratify that decision. Given the prevailing response from the BBC, it seems there must be a motivation for refusing to reconsider the rationale behind the present situation. What is that motivation? Can the BBC at least be open and transparent about that?

4. NickDavisGB 15 Dec 2013, 1:52pm

Front page on The Daily Mail. BBC not a lefty organisation.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 15 Dec 2013, 2:00pm

I’ve always thought it to be the very opposite. I wonder why some think it isn’t?

5. This article, although significant in it’s content, is probably the most rambling article i’ve ever read. Was it written by a 12 year old? How can such an important argument be scripted in such a whining fashion? Get a grip.

1. PantoHorse 16 Dec 2013, 2:10pm

The author, Joseph Patrick McCormick, isn’t exactly known for his writing ability. He even manages to introduce spelling and grammatical errors into pieces swiped form other sources.

6. Ian Ganderton 15 Dec 2013, 2:08pm

I wrote to the BBC to complain and said that it was awful that only the poppy appeal could be supported on tv. They replied saying that they could not favour one charity over another and that the poppy appeal was different as it is a nationally recognised symbol. Clearly they don’t think HIV or cancer etc is a national problem, let alone global

1. Midnighter 15 Dec 2013, 2:29pm

Well done for trying. What is making me more irritated about this whole issue is the way the BBC seem to be giving complainants the brush off without any indication that they feel any obligation to listen to its owners, the British public.

“could not favour one charity over another”
      Well that’s fine, no one is asking them to do that. The call is for fair and equal treatment, not special treatment as at present.

There are plenty of other “nationally recognised symbols” so why are they treated differently?

Or to be more precise, how have the BBC determined that one such symbol qualifies as a “nationally recognised symbol” where others apparently don’t?

I’d be fascinated to hear a direct response to those points rather than more empty-headed regurgitation of the same corporate mantra.

7. Helge Vladimir Tiller 15 Dec 2013, 2:13pm

This discrimination could never happen in Scandinavia. Graham Norton, I embrace you !

8. One of these days a court is going to rule, in light of BBCs anti-gay history, gays citizens can not be forced to pay the license fee.

Hopefully the judgement will be retroactive.

9. BBC, your busted!

1. * you’re! Oooops

1. .....Paddyswurds 16 Dec 2013, 11:20am

…when is Pink News going to get with the program and make an edit facility available on it’s comments page, like ALL other comments pages??. Oh I forgot, no one goes for a cheapo blog program…

10. I suggest we begin a mammoth complaints campaign about the “One Show” being allowed to support a charity. Lets beat the 1350 complaints about the Mandela coverage!

11. Helge Vladimir Tiller 15 Dec 2013, 6:10pm

—And right now, when “Don’t Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves” is on TV ! Shame, shame, shame on you BBC-

12. Peter & Michael 15 Dec 2013, 7:09pm

We believe that the bbc is guilty of social apartheid and whilst the bbc spent a few hundred hours on Nelson Mandela lifetime achievements and funeral on main time tv, is still repressive of the goals that Nelson Mandela set out to achiieve. The bbc have always held a social stigma toward LGBT and does not recognise that they, the bbc are paid through a licence fee each year, which is paid by all payers whether straight or gay. The sooner this licence fee is shared by all channels the better, we have already written to our MP whom is also shocked by the treatment by the bbc to Graham Norton in regard of his wearing a red ribbon for World Aids Day. We are of an age that many of our friends succumbed to this disease throughout the Eighties, and this action by the bbc is not reflective of the people that are presently living with the Aids Virus.

13. I find it absolutely appalling that the BBC, a publicly funded body, can so casually brush off what are most definitely cogent and valid criticisms, as if their ruling is final and has absolutely no accountability to the public it is alleged to serve. Their apparent double standards and favouring of “anointed” charities and wall to wall glorifying of their own charitable efforts, whilst coming down hard on the red ribbon, is sickening. This is most definitely an abuse and corruption of their position to serve all. Too much money and to little respect for the minorities that fund them. If they can’t brand it themselves they’re not interested, despite aids awareness being of global importance. On the one hand they overkill when it comes to certain coverage, but when it comes to proportionate and fair coverage of gay and lesbian issues, we are invariably short-changed and planked next to the religious haters for “balance”. I don’t normally feel angry, but I am about this.

14. The classic for me was when the BBC ignored the passing of the same sex marriage legislation.
    They had been reporting on the passage of the act (remember it had got a 2/3 majority in the Commons).they could only bring themselves to report on the religious objection and the loony tunes objectors with a slat I could not believe was so blatant.
    So I cannot see this present issue with AIDS and HIV awareness is based on anything other than institutional homophobia, especially when their stated policy does not stand up to scrutiny in its lack of application to other awareness campaigns , breast cancer awareness, prostrate cancer and on and on, why they pick on a gay presenter wearing an WHO internationally recognised issue ( there was even a huge red ribbon in front of the White House portico for Xts sake), but no the BBC want to hang their policy on this instance, smacks of bias!! with seasonal bobbles on it.. It cannot be justified, and why, they also come out with easily checkable lies.

15. Colin (Queenstown/London) 15 Dec 2013, 7:41pm

To me this is a storm in a tea cup. Sorry. There are more important things in this world to be getting on with

There are plenty of charities who deserve and get support. So how do you rank them, which get highlighted for promotion and which get relegated. You going to choose. I still think the BBC is the best broadcaster on this planet. I am in New Zealand at the moment a fantastic country that I love dearly. But their TV is CRAP. It’s really the worst of USA TV!

I don’t watch Graham Norton either. Before you criticise the BBC look at the commercial channels. All cheap crappy dumbed down reality shows. I find that frightening and understand how our youth of today are still children at 25. I turned around my first company around at 23 in New Zealand.

All organisations need guidelines and rules. I do think remembering those who gave their lives in two world wars should never be forgotten as today we live with their sacrifice. Each person is a national Hero or Heroine and

1. Colin (Queentstown/London) 15 Dec 2013, 7:48pm

and should never be forgotten. War and the repercussions should never be forgotten. I have many friends with HIV living and dead and have known people who died with cancer and other horrid diseases. Most charities are worthy.

Jumpers is a giggle, Movember a recent initiative to highlight for men especially prostate cancer.

I think there are more important things to be fighting for like the BBC stance on broadcasting the Winter Olympics from Russia.. Now can we get global boycott of all broadcasters for the period of the olympics?????

2. It’s a shame that you are not in Britain at the moment or otherwise you could tune into “Are You Being Served” every day on BBC2. The antics of the highly effeminate Mr Humphries are followed by those of the highly effeminate Lieutenant Gruber who is always preying on the heterosexual Rene in Allo Allo. Then you could turn over for Pointless, where pairs of contestants compete, but sadly I’ve only ever seen heterosexuals couples, never a homosexual one. After all, it is tea time and children will be watching.

Alternatively you could watch “Come Dine with Me” or “Four in a Bed” at the same time on Channel 4, which seem to include gay men or lesbians practically every week. I agree with you that the BBC is the best broadcaster on this planet – but for homophobia.

1. Pointless has included gay couples, although I agree with you regarding Are You Being Served etc. I happened to catch a bit of one last week which was very homophobic, with jokes about not wanting to have your back to Mr Humphreys. Telly was so homophobic at the time that even the writers and Inman himself denied that the character could at all be gay and that it was just camp fun, despite the evidence. I’d like to ask the BBC I’d they’d show something like Love Thy Neighbour, although admittedly not theirs. I suspect that they wouldn’t show It Ain’t Half Hot Mum however for its depiction of race.

2. Colin (Queenstown/London) 16 Dec 2013, 8:16pm

No I just have a life, projects that interest me and options which I use. I don’t watch much TV recording anything I want to see and often seeing it three months later. When I think there is something wrong I act. I fought hard for Marriage not for me as I don’t believe in it but for my two gay nieces and others who do. For me it was about equality and human rights not marriage.
        The BBC supports all of society not just the gay bubble. Mr Norton may be gay but it’s not a gay show. It’s for everyone. I certainly do not want to live in the gay ghetto, others will. Thank goodness we are different eh.

Mr Humphries et all. I see as a point in time. You clearly see some sort of an agenda. I live today and am working to create tomorrow. I love London but Britain lives in the past. Even I can see that.

To me what is going on in Russia is way more important than a badge on some guys lapel on a crappy TV show…..way more important.

1. Yes, there are more important issues like homophobic bullying and hate crime, which is fuelled by negative attitudes to homosexuality …. errr like those to be found on the BBC. I don’t and don’t want to live in a gay ghetto either, but it would be nice to be able to hold hands with my boyfriend, without being mocked by people flapping their limp wrists or doing mincing walks, just like Mr Humprhries does.

The BBC won’t show “It Ain’t Half Hot Mum”, because of its racism, but is perfectly happy to screen “Are You Being Served” in 2013, despite the character of Mr Humphries being the epitome of negative gay stereotyping. Rightly so, the BBC never gives bigots an opportunity to espouse racist views like black people are less intelligent than white, but it happily provides a platform for bigots to claim that homosexuality is a disorder that can be cured, is unnatural, is a choice…. What does that tell you about the BBC’s “agenda”?

3. It wasn’t that long ago that the BBC, with support from Ofcom, was defending this –

Can’t imagine the Tom Dayley interview would have been so well received if those sort of jokes were broadcast at the start of ITV’s Jonathan Ross show.

16. Hooray for Pink News in pursuing this issue. It’s exposing the BBC’s hypocrisy and arrogance in refusing to explain the inconsistencies in the way it applies it’s own Guidelines. From now on, we should complain whenever BBC presenters endorse any charity, such as Game Show Hosts telling celebrities donating a prize to charity that it is a good cause. The BBC’s web page for online complaints is:

Ofcom will not deal with complaints that relate to matters of impartiality, as this is the responsibility of the BBC Trust, which is supposed to represent the licence fee payer. Anyone dissatisfied with the BBC’s response to a complaint after it has been through all 3 stages of the BBC’s complaints procedure may appeal to the Trust.

17. I wonder if Channel 4 will take him? also It’s a shame Channel 4 doesn’t have a 24 hour news channel, I think funding should be stripped from the BBC and given to them they’re much more balanced in their news coverage and the quality of TV programmes is generally superior (with maybe a few exceptions).

18. The licence fee is doomed. It can’t be justified now that all viewers have a wide choice of non-BBC channels, not to mention Smart TVs that can access the internet.

TV Licensing relies on assumption that every household needs a licence, and that any address without one is in breach of the law. However, a licence is not needed to watch DVDs or to catch up using iPlayer, 4oD etc, so possession of a TV is no longer evidence of needing a licence. So unless people incriminate themselves, enforcement will soon become almost impossible: there are few if any TV detector vans because technical developments and the multiplicity of screen based devices mean that they cannot provide admissible evidence.

The government appears to be nudging the BBC towards subscription by freezing the licence fee for six years. With any luck, the BBC will realise that subscription is the only way forward: it would allow them to raise more money and set them free from government interference.

19. I don’t know if someone has already noticed this or if it’s relevant but the 2010 episode of the show featuring Justin Bieber, Graham Norton is wearing an ribbon throughout the recording.

1. I did not know this. That’s interesting! I wonder what brought about this change in policy? I have complained to the BBC asking for clarification on their stance in light of the One Show.

20. Sorry, too busy recruiting nonces to deal with this issue

Regards,
    BBC

21. Time to up your medication, mate.

22. .....Paddyswurds 16 Dec 2013, 11:14am

I wonder how may have complained to the BBC about this. Can someone post a link whereby we can complain?

1. I’ve complained, got an unsatisfactory reply and made a response to that, go here to complain:

23. Frank Boulton 16 Dec 2013, 11:55am

A BBC spokesperson told PinkNews: “The One Show also reported on the Save the Children Guinness World Record attempt, as did several other news and media outlets, as this was a topical timely news event.” The BBC really don’t choose their words very well. Perhaps, PN should ask the BBC why World AIDS Day is not “a topical timely news event”. Or is it the HIV/AIDS epidemic that is not “a topical timely news event”? Perhaps, they need to be told that rather than reschedule this crisis to suit their agenda, we’d rather not have it at all. Don’t anyone ever hire the same PR company as the BBC.

1. Benjamin Cohen 16 Dec 2013, 5:26pm

We did. They won’t comment!

24. If the cap fits. And the BBC wears that cap well.

25. Did someone wee in your BBC Canteen coffee?

26. Benjamin Cohen 16 Dec 2013, 3:40pm

Such a Tory plot with the former Labour Culture Secretary coming out against the BBC in support of the stance of PinkNews. http://p.ink.cx/1gBAuLx . Start making sense or stop posting comments on PinkNews!

27. i say good fer GRAHAM fer stick’n to his beliefs!

28. I noticed that on priministers question time that the majority of the Labour side were wearing red ribbons i suppose therefore that the labour party has been disciplined by the BBC?????

29. That There Other David 16 Dec 2013, 5:17pm

This does look increasingly like someone high up at the BBC upset that Norton is pushing a “gay agenda”, even though raising awareness of HIV/AIDS is nothing of the sort. Maybe whilst the entire BBC News team is relocated to South Africa they can spend some time with sufferers of AIDS down there, seeing as they don’t seem to think anyone here in the UK with it is worthy of discussion.

30. Joanne Cooper 16 Dec 2013, 10:34pm

Then the BBC should stop any plugging of films, books, DVD’s CD’s albums of any kind from there chat shows also any football shown and snooker tournaments all advertising stopped or covered up, game shows giving away license payers money and shows like Bargain hunt where they blatantly waste money with so called antique experts to me an Ex is a has been and spurt is a drip under pressure but since there not going to do any of that then there presenters can and should promote whatever they want providing it doesn’t offend anyone either before or after the watershed.

31. I get more offended by the poppy on TV as someone as a pacifist and very much anti-war..the poppy indirectly supports killing others and is uncritical of wars current or past..it seems everyone on TV HAS to wear it too or get comment, and there’s never a white one. Whereas the AIDS ribbon is a humanitarian issue, and affects all walks of life. Shame on you BBC