London: Anti-gay lecturer had ‘no formal qualifications’, claims ex-colleague

1. Shame on Newham college that this man still holds a position there. Disgusting.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 13 Dec 2013, 7:12pm

And the Tories don’t care if teachers aren’t qualified in our primary and secondary schools. Mind-boggling!

3. Er… Who appointed the twat with no experience as head of a performance course. How I would love to have witnessed his teaching technique. Comedy gold.

1. Midnighter 13 Dec 2013, 7:36pm

I think that is a very pertinent question, given that there have been rumours of nepotism around the way the original ‘inquiry’ came to nothing.

It isn’t unheard of for staff to be employed without teaching qualifications; I myself taught for a couple of years before I completed a PGCE, and a few colleagues taught their entire careers without one. The difference for us was that we were all still part of an effective and independent appraisal system and of course had we not delivered the goods the fee-paying parents would have had something to say about it.

Newham need to be transparent about what systems they have in place (or will install) to ensure that staff are providing a professional standard of education not just in terms of curriculum but – equally importantly – in a caring pastoral sense, to both staff and colleagues. The bean counters always seem to forget the latter until it blows up in their faces.

4. Colin (Queenstown/London) 13 Dec 2013, 7:32pm

If true the guy should be jailed and the Head of the college sacked. Also can the facts be released to the public and a system developed to ensure this is not allowed to happen again.

5. James Campbell 13 Dec 2013, 9:52pm

In the UK, staff teaching in state schools are required to have qualified teacher status (QTS) or be in training for QTS. Private schools are able (wrongly in my opinion) to appoint teachers without them being qualified. The rules applied in further & higher education are different, Some staff do have a post grad. teaching qualification plus experience and some have appropriate experience in other areas (such as a previous lecturing post or in research). When I began lecturing (at a University medical school) I was not required to have a teaching qualification (although I do) as I was teaching adults. In an F.E. College staff should have professional qualifications in their subject field at least. I wonder if Newham College are as thorough in vetting their staff’s background as they seem to have problems checking student attendance?

6. No surprise really. I’ve heard this is widespread in these type of places. I can see why standards/results of an English education are dropping rapidly if this type of rot is widespread.

7. …and if this guy is a psychotherapist registered with a UK accrediting organisation, I think a letter or two is in order to have him investigated.

1. The whole “psychotherapy profession” is in disrepute anyhow and the regulating body has no credibility as registered “psychotherapists” are using “cure” practices, 40% of such have been facilitated in the NHS.

1. That’s not entirely correct – The British Association of Counelling and Psychotherpay (BACP), The United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) and British Psychdrama Association (BPA) all explicitly prohibit gay ‘cure’ therapy. All counsellor/psychotherapist with their accreditation would likely be struck off or prohibited from training.

Mike Davidson of the Core Issues Trust was removed from the Training Register of the British Psychdrama Association by this process. For the ruling, see the following:

If you read the supporting comments section, we can see the ‘my freedom of speech is being curtailed’ argument, quite correctly thrown out by the simple fact that his ‘practice’ was in contravention of UKCP and BPA guidelines.

So the process does work. What these so called religious therapists want, and value is accreditation so that they can parade a vestige of respectability to their unethical practices.

1. I would expect that bacp and ukcp to be aware of the 2011 survey that was done into “cure” malpractice, which found that 40% of such practice was facilitated by NHS “therapists”. According to the NHS , their “therapists” are affiliated to the afore mentioned (dis)credited bodies. So this is not just an unqualified , fraudulent quack administering such practice, no matter how much these associations would want us to believe and until they flush out the charlatans and quacks who are members of bacp and ukcp, they have no credibility .

8. Marian Williams 14 Dec 2013, 11:33am

Randall replied I’m blown away that a student can get paid $4483 in one month on the internet. visit the site>>> F­B­3­­9.C­O­M

9. I don’t see why his lack of a teaching qualification is at all relevant here. Plenty of lecturers in FE and HE don’t have one, including some of the best ones I’ve had the privilege to work with. And many of those who do have formal teaching qualifications aren’t very good teachers.

But this isn’t about how good the man was at teaching, it’s about his abysmal, bigoted homophobia and the fact he feels the need to share it with the world. He could have a doctorate in education, a string of teaching awards and be the best teacher in the world and this would still be unacceptable.

10. Translation: “We will make sure this investigation takes long enough for you to forget about the whole thing.”

11. This is his qualifications on Linkedin. Anyone else have doubts about how he got to be called “Dr”…? It’s littered with spelling errors….

I am a multi-professional or Polymath. I am the director and head consultant for Mind and Body Clinic London. Creative Director and Manager for the Performing Arts Studio in Newham College for further Education. i am the CEO of MADA Music and Dance Academy London. My educational background began in Jamiaca. De cartret College Mandeville Manchester. Then in the UK Goldsmiths College New Cross, City University, Westminister University, Hahnemann College of Homoepathic Medicine, Regents College for Psychotherapeutic Councelling. Ayurvedic Medicine in India, Pareek Hospital.

DHom (MED), Homeopathic Medicine/Homeopathy
    1985 – 1989 I am a fellow memeber of the Institute of Integrated Medicine

12. Christopher Coleman 18 Dec 2013, 4:20pm

Do you suppose people in authority did not react because they feared being labelled “racist”? It can be a risk, but one that should be taken when education is at stake.