Labour calls on Director General to update BBC guidelines after Graham Norton disciplined for wearing AIDS ribbon

1. In my experience Tony Hall will do whatever is necessary to have an easy life.

2. Good on you Graham -why did the BBC not want him to wear the ribbon?

The BBC does more product placement than I care to mention – Oh yeah BBC where are the programmes for the LBGT community we pay a fee as well.

3. This is ridiculous! Why is wearing a poppy allowed but an AIDS ribbon for raising awareness is forbidden? Double standards I say.

1. bobbleobble 12 Dec 2013, 10:07pm

It’s not just the poppy. Comic Relief gets a biannual show but Oxfam doesn’t. The BBC set up Children in Need but why don’t Save the a Children get a show annually? They also have a monthly appeal called Lifeline where a celebrity highlights one charity and one charity only.

Also why isn’t Clarkson being told off? He’s a BBC presenter who was there flogging his BBC show but because he was there as a guest not a presenter that makes it OK? That makes no sense either.

4. soapbubblequeen 12 Dec 2013, 10:00pm

Good!! Can you imagine the uproar there would be if they told Bruce Forsyth not to wear the Poppy? Or someone not to wear the daffodil for Cancer? They have obviously become institutionally homophobic. They rarely report on gay issues in their news bulletins (e.g. homophobic murders etc.). They make me sick, and I get even sicker when I hear that bl88dy religious ‘One’ show theme with that pratt Chris Evans.

5. Mihangel apYrs 12 Dec 2013, 10:27pm

poppies
    red noses
    pink ribbons?

All OK.

Does anyone see a trend (hint – homophobia)

6. In the second of the two clips on this webpage you can see two BBC presenters (Hayley Cutts & Nel Hel Hedayat) wearing AIDS ribbons. It is from Newsround broadcast on 1st December 2011.

1. Nel Hedayat

7. Do you guys seriously think there is no homophobia in society? We are tolerated like a fart in a lift never accepted as equal

1. Jock S. Trap 13 Dec 2013, 12:40pm

by some maybe but not by the majority. Most of society is accepting so downing everyone on a few is just wrong.

If your case was true we would not have Marriage Equality starting in March 2014.

8. Jock S. Trap 13 Dec 2013, 12:38pm

The BBC are a butch of dirty paedophile protecting hypocrites. They pick and choose their own rules just like the religious sects they support.

It’s a shame they clearly think awareness of HIV, a illness that doesn’t discriminate, is wrong but their religious sponsored hatred reporting of Same Sex marriage, something that did break their rules, is fine and justified.

I just wish I could chose NOT to have the BBC coz I feel my money is wasted on them.

1. Frank Boulton 15 Dec 2013, 12:49pm

You might have to pay for the BBC but you don’t have to watch there programmes. I now live in New Zealand, where we don’t have to pay for TV licences. However, I’ve decided not to watch any more productions by the BBC, except, of course, those featuring Graham Norton. We need a campaign called “BBC” (acronym for Boycott the Bl**dy C*nts).

1. Thanks, for those of us who are gay and work there, calling us paedo protecting hypocrites or c*nts really cheers us up.

9. Pink News has unfortunately put the wrong header with this news item.

It is the ‘Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on HIV and AIDS’ who has called this, not the Labour Party.

That said, I remember meeting with the Chair of the APPGA many, many years ago when a prison officer dealing with HIV and AIDS in Prisons back in the mid 90s.