Couples in civil partnerships ‘disappointed’ to have to wait longer to convert to marriage

1. What utter rubbish. This requires a very simple form to be filled in and a cut and paste from the CP register to the marriage register. No more.

My CP and I are really disappointed as we had pencilled in a summer wedding date relying on the Government’s earlier promises.

1. Totally agree. All CPs should automatically be converted to civil marriages as a matter of course. It’s a disgrace that we have to wait and then pay for the privilege of getting married – AGAIN!!

1. Beelzeebub 11 Dec 2013, 3:17pm

This only goes to show that CP’s weren’t really “equal” to marriage after all….

If they were, then an automatic “free” conversion would be all that is needed.

2. No they should not. If two people entered into a C.P. – that’s what they did – a C.P.
        How arrogant to think all people in a C.P. would want it to be changed without their permission.

1. That There Other David 12 Dec 2013, 11:04am

Unless CPs are now going to be opened up to heterosexual couples they should be abolished from English and Welsh law. There is no reason to maintain a “separate but equal” legal category just for gays and lesbians who object to the word marriage.

2. One would think that, but incompetance seems to be grasping the civil service by the whatsits these days and IT systems are not their best area, aparently!

3. Whilst I don’t agree with the additional waiting period for the conversion of CPs to marriage, I do wonder how many of those in CPs failed to fully campaign for full marriage previously?

Labour, Stonewall and many others said that this was ‘brilliant’ and the way forward and refused to accept the Liberal Democrats’ approach to go for equal marriage.

Then they jumped on the bandwagon when they realised attitudes had changed.

Sorry for the wait, however those of us who refused to accept CPs have had to wait longer.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 11 Dec 2013, 3:27pm

Absolutely disgraceful and unacceptable and the PM has the nerve to mention cutting the cost of politics in Parliament today. This is totally unfair and unnecessary in my view. Not other country where we can marry has taken so long to implement such a simple procedure in order to marry. What makes ours so different to others I wonder?

3. Oh come on, if CPs were good enough for those who opted for them, they’re good enough to hold on to them a bit longer before converting.

1. Mihangel apYrs 12 Dec 2013, 9:56am

they were the only option for those who wanted to formalise their relationship (you know, like the one’s who were DYING).

It was better than nothing

1. They were the only game in town and is was necessary to have one to gain basic civil rights for our relationship. Marriage is the proper name for the relationship and I fail to understand why anyone would want to retain the second class badge.

4. CH Brighton 11 Dec 2013, 4:30pm

Why not do as Sweden has done and automatically convert all Civil Partnerships to marriages? Surely that could be done without any faff?

1. Some people do not want their CP converted.

1. I don’t see why people thumbed down your comment. It is the truth. There are some people who don’t want their CP to become a marriage either because of the religious connotations of “marriage” or any other personal reasons.

5. I’m not disappointed – I’m annoyed. I do not believe that it takes this much effort to implement a law that is SO SIMPLE. Take existing laws, amend to be gender neutral. Done.

Changing a civil partnership to a marriage should be beyond simple – here’s the CP document, do you ant to convert? Yes. Sign here, witness. DONE. Tell me why it needs more than that!?

6. I can almost guarantee the delay is caused by the ‘fee’ part of the announcement. They will need to set new procedures in place to collect it and decide who deals with the issuance of new certificates and how that is funded. I suspect they are doing ‘back of fag pack’ estimates on the numbers and the cost so they can set the fee to cover these.
    It nothing to do with the ‘conversion’ process if we can be legally married than the way it’s done and how it’s paid for that is stumbling block. Overseas marriages don’t need a new certificate so can be recognised with no cost to Government.
    Most marriage notices currently costs £35.00 per person and a fee of around £50 for the register office ceremony. This covers staff costs.
    Someone is now trying to work out how much they will need to/ can get away with charging for the conversions.
    The standard £3.50 for the issue a marriage certificate isn’t going to cover costs but if they set the fee too high they know it’ll cause an outcry

1. Oh and I don’t think any registrar – even a centralised one – will sign a marriage certificate without seeing the CP holders, some ID and getting a ‘declaration of intent to change’ signed in front of them. So it’ll mean a trip to ‘somewhere’ – probably your local Council office. And on the back of that I think the fee will be set at £50ish to cover the registrars time.

7. Hopefully when it eventually comes it will coincide with the survivor pension benefits being equalised or I shan’t bother

1. Tim Chapman 11 Dec 2013, 9:11pm

Neither shall I, for the same reason.

8. Michael2912 11 Dec 2013, 7:13pm

I’m disappointed but not terribly surprised that bureaucracy serves to frustrate rather than facilitate; but in the scheme of things and taking a long term view and given that my relationship has stood the test of 25 years with a very recent formal endorsement…I’m not sure that I’m terribly upset.

9. Al Robinson 11 Dec 2013, 7:51pm

I don’t foresee this taking as long as people fear. After all, the REAL reason behind the Conservatives pushing for same sex marriage was a) smoke and mirrors to distract from the massive cuts and privatisation agenda and b) to boost the economy by having LGBT couples spending thousands of pounds on weddings. They don’t really care about us. The MP’s votes prove that. However they’ll want CP’s to convert to marriage sooner rather than later so they can claim the positive growth to the economy it will bring. It’s in the governments best interests to do this sooner rather than later.

1. Who is “they” that don’t care about “us” ? Do you really imagine that the “they” are all white heterosexuals and the “us” are all gay socialists? If so that’s a very outdated 1980s view of politics – all the gays I know vote Conservative, and a very large number of Tory councillors, MPs, party activists are gay. If the ever-diminishing proportion of narrow-minded Tory party dinosaur members realised the huge part “us gays” play in the party, they’d probably have heart attacks!

1. Michael2912 12 Dec 2013, 9:11am

“All the gays I know vote Conservative.” That’s astonishing, ands from my clearly dated perspective, profoundly disappointing.

10. Can someone just clear up for me – does it mean after March 2014 they’ll be no more CPs or do we now have a second option not available to straights – that would seem a bit unequal and screaming to be challenged if that is the case. It does seem a wee bit of a mess – sorry.

1. Tim Chapman 11 Dec 2013, 9:15pm

Yes, we’ll have two choices, straits one.

2. It is a bit of a mess to be honest, but sorting it out back then would have potentially delayed the SSM bill so they didn’t want to do that. Instead the government will be conducting a review of CPs later on to see whether to leave them as they are, expand them to all couples or just get rid of them. The result will depend on the take-up as compared to civil marriage I would think.

11. People are getting worked up about this, but are forgetting an important provision of the legislation is that the conversion is retrospective. It doesn’t matter what date you convert, your subsequent marriage is treated as being formed on the day you entered your CP – making you married longer than anyone who didn’t avail of it. So relax.

12. We had planned to ‘upgrade’ on our 3rd anniversary next July and plans were well under way with family and friends. Rather annoyed they couldn’t organise it so that everyone could enjoy the implementation together.

13. Don Harrison 22 Dec 2013, 11:08pm

I agree with all of you who are disapointed. So am I. The LGBT+ LDs are already planning to sort this out together with the mess over Trans issues. It was hard enough to get as far as we have. There diffulties with the right wing, Roman Catholics and other homophobe both in Parliment and those out in our country. After the election in 2015, there will be another chance of sorting this out.

14. Booked my wedding at my local registry office and they said that it wouldnt be a problem, then afterwards the registery office called me and told me i would have to wait. Booked my reception and suits for June to be told i couldnt convert my civil partnership until later in the year. So frustrated!!!!!!!!