Maria Miller: Equal marriage in England and Wales demonstrates our society’s respect for all

1. Yes, sure it does. Shame though the Tory Party still can’t bring itself to respect unemployed and disabled people. They are all useless eaters, ‘shirkers’ and good for nothing layabout scum, aren’t they?

1. Blah Blah – chip on your pretend working-class champagne-socialist shoulder – so bitter – so 20th century.

2. Why such a delay? Why has it taken so long?

3. Robert in S. Kensington 10 Dec 2013, 5:10pm

In spite of the delay, it’s welcome news and we should all celebrate when we look around the world to see that our LGBT brothers and sisters are being denied basic civil and human rights. Better late than never.

4. Thank you, Maria Miller, for all the effort, for all your months of very hard work, in getting this Act of dignity and respect through parliament, while continually beset by those who were so eager to wreck it. I’m giving you one of my highest gongs! :-)

5. GulliverUK 10 Dec 2013, 5:41pm

Oh dear. Pinknews has hit rock bottom – it’s commenting system doesn’t even work properly – my comment has disappeared. So why would I waste my effort and time commenting if comments disappear ? No, I wouldn’t.

1. Tim Chapman 10 Dec 2013, 6:55pm

My comment has disappeared too. It said, no thanks, Mrs Miller -not until you fix pensions, only better put, but I can’t type all that again!

6. Tim Chapman 10 Dec 2013, 6:33pm

Thanks, Mrs Miller, but no thanks. Until I can walk out of a Registry Office having married my same-sex partner who will then be entitled to the same survivor benefits in my Company Pension Scheme that my newly-married opposite-sex partner would be if I were straight, then it’s only same-sex marriage, not equal marriage. While it remains the latter, I’ll have nothing to do with it.

7. Colin (Queenstown/London) 10 Dec 2013, 6:42pm

What an incredible woman. Great news for us all and a light to others around the world. The points she made were to me spot on.

Look forward to the weddings now eh…lol

1. Yes, it is very good news. Now, I hope the Conservative Party starts to respect unemployed and disabled people as well but I guess that REALLY WOULD entail the ‘nasty party’ changing its horrid ways.

8. “Equalities minister Maria Miller said she was “working hard” to ensure that couples who want to convert civil partnerships into marriages will be able to do so before the end of next year”

Please can you work a little bit harder and ensure that we can convert our CPs to marriages on the same day that new marriages can take place. What exactly is the justification for such a long delay for us? That’s going around a year and half after the bill was passed, that’s just ridiculous!!!!

9. Philip Breen 11 Dec 2013, 4:47am

A step forward is always to be appreciated. However, more needs to be done to help gay men whose spent convictions for victimless old gay offences, soliciting, gross indecency etc, are still disclosed on DBS checks. Until this is resolved, there are still many gay men affected by the prejudices of another age, prejudices nowadays arbitrarily linked by association to safeguarding risks, men consequently unemployed, who cannot work in many sectors and who cannot volunteer, based on the idea that gay men convicted of having looked for or of having had sex with adult partners of the same sex were an essential threat to children’s safety. Unless it can be proven by case notes that a man was looking for or involved with underage partners, comparing gays with paedophiles is utterly unjust.