eBay removes listing for £500,000 Ford Fiesta because of ‘homophobic’ description

1. Derek Williams 6 Dec 2013, 7:40pm

They lost a £500,000 bid? Wow, what a payback! Thanks eBay!

1. BlokeToys 6 Dec 2013, 8:04pm

Non payment of an Ebay bid is not a criminal offense. Anyone could have put a bid in a £1 million and simply not paid up. That is what people were going for here, inflating the price deliberately with no intention to pay.

1. Exactly.. Lucky if he gets £500

1. Chelmsfordian 6 Dec 2013, 9:08pm

Even £500 is pushing it.

1. Sinead Harkin 6 Dec 2013, 10:07pm

Looking at the photo you’ll be pushing that car as well

2. That There Other David 6 Dec 2013, 8:29pm

Well, we learned one thing today. Whoever currently owns that car is a tw@t of the highest order.

1. Chelmsfordian 6 Dec 2013, 9:09pm

You’d have to be to own a Ford Fiesta.

1. Sinead Harkin 6 Dec 2013, 9:41pm

Or buy a Fiesta for £500,000!

2. I think we learned one thing today, you’re very narrow minded David and have a terrible sense of humour!

3. this is nonsense. i am gay, it was not offensive but very entertaining.

1. That There Other David 6 Dec 2013, 10:05pm

It wasn’t entertaining at all to me. That pseudo-macho BS is quite tiresome and childish TBH. People who believe that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit obviously haven’t encountered one of these casual-homophobia-is-cool tossers.

1. A lot of straight men are uncomfortable with being perceived as gay, not just the “macho stereotype”. The advert plays up to that FACT in a humorous way. It’s not a “homophobia-is-cool” attitude, you’re thinking into this far too much. The real fact is that very VERY few people actually care if you’re gay or not. Your lifestyle choices really are not that important to anyone else but yourself. Get over yourself and unless someone is directly threatening you because you are gay, stop using the word homophobic as a platform for attention

2. We are not amused!

3. yes. what bothers me is that the puritans didn’t ask me if this offended my LGBT sensibilities, just hit it with a censor-stick. i wouldn’t have lunch with the author of the ad, but these thought-police creeps offend me more. they don’t represent me at all.

4. So ridiculous it’s not even offensive. He’s clearly mentally challenged, everybody calm down.

5. What if a reader doesn’t know how to find the eBay website?
    Don’t worry, it’s linked in several times throughout the article.

6. A truly remarkable advertisement for Chelmsford.

7. How long before he posts a fauxpology claiming that his words were taken out of context and that he was using some new, non-homophobic definition of “faggot”. It’s almost guaranteed that such a statement will be made. It never fails.

1. In this case that will never happen, I refuse to apologise.

8. Who else thinks the guy who posted this is probably a virgin living at home with his Mum??

Also love the gaffa taped wing mirror. Although I would actually buy that for £500 looks like a cheap runaround to have fun in once you fix the wing mirror.

1. That There Other David 7 Dec 2013, 11:04am

I picture some sadsack who believes the Diamond White fueled one-off with a drunk girl two years below him at school now qualifies him as a stud :-)

2. Chelmsfordian 7 Dec 2013, 11:12am

You’ve never owned a Fiesta have you? It will cost another £500 to get it through the next M.O.T assuming the floor pan hasn’t rotted away.

9. Ironic really, I always thought of a ford fiesta as a rather feminine car, regardless of which I find the fact that he listed it as a “lads car” rather amusing as that’s just the sort of car anyone with any self respect will avoid. I’m planning on getting a Vauxhall Astra as my next car since the insurance is surprisingly cheap for me(im 23) avoiding anything like a Corsa or Fiesta like the plague.

10. A Ford Fiesta as a sex symbol/
    Personally I’d have thought it a rusty and gutless little heap; but am I talking about the car or its owner?

1. Haha such a drastic assumption considering you’ve never met me! Lighten up you grumpy git

11. Anyone else intuit that the seller is probably gay? The whole thing’s a parody, but using ‘faggot’ publicly, when the guy is obviously sort of literate, is probably just ‘camp’.

12. Just looked up the story on this in the Daily (hate) Mail, which ran when the bids were only at £153,000. They’ve written about how funny and amusing the whole listing is, quoting him, and deliberately removing all the “homophobic” lines. But they did remember to quote that he had listened to many a “black rap track”. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518862/Ebay-Ford-Fiesta-advert-goes-viral-thanks-proper-lads-car-description.html

13. A guy sat opposite me at work read this out loud in the office whilst laughing. Not sure if he knows im gay or not. He read the full uncensored version…a girl was listening and said “thats brilliant”….i was really upset by the use of the words “faggot” and “batty boy”. I didnt say anything to him as im only out to a few people at work and didnt really want to out myself to him in relation to this.. This incident quite upset me; i wanted to challenge the use of this language in the office. However….my mum and dad said i just need to grow a thicker skin and ignore comments like this. Are they right? Or am i right to think that this language in unscceptable i a professional environment? Im keen to know peoples thoughts thanks.

1. Listen to your parents. The context in which these words are used is aimed at nobody directly. It’s quite obviously intended as a comedic piece of writing and the sooner you learn to accept the humerous the more comfortable you’ll be with your lifestyle choices

14. Dear lord…there are people being executed for being gay in some parts of the world and here we are worrying about this? It is so OBVIOUSLY meant in jest that I opened the comments section expecting to find comments reflecting this, but nope.