Comment: South Africa is not a ‘Rainbow Nation’ if you’re gay

1. Brett Gibson 6 Dec 2013, 2:53pm

It’s true. My friend has been to visit South Africa many times and now she won’t get back because she fears for her safety as a white woman in largely black and Indian areas. They all hate each other, blacks are racist towards Indians, Indians towards black etc etc. South Africa is a rainbow nation in law but in practice the situation is quite dire.

2. I fail to see why LGBT rights being obtained through the court is a badbthing.

putting minority rights to a vote is a bad thing.

Look at California and Croatia.

3. “I didn’t want to live in a country where this sort of thing happens but where else is there to go? The moon? Mars?” – I think this sums it up. Sadly nearly all western countries have these problems too.

South Africa has by far and away the best legal equality on the African continent, which is even more necessary in a country where homophobia is so entrenched in society.

Why it’s felt necessary to republish this the day after the death of the hero of the anti-apartheid movement is beyond me. I hope this site’s editors live long enough and struggle hard enough to develop deep flaws.

1. PantoHorse 6 Dec 2013, 3:10pm

Cashing in, Stuart N. It’s all about the click throughs and ad revenue, sadly. PN doesn’t really do news, it does regurgitation of stories from other sources (and sometimes gets it wrong when they omit to watch videos right to the end, or speculate about things they said they weren’t going to speculate on, and often publish articles with poor spelling and grammar).

4. no offense but this is utter BS. i am a white gay male born and living in south africa! as far as discrimination goes it is BY FAR the minority as a whole the people of south africa accept and live with gay ppl. In some other cultures its still a bit more difficult but there is no prosecution as was mentioned! we dont hate each other as Brett mentioned. publishing this a day after Madiba died is in poor taste and i hope to God that Pink news will act more respectful in future! Anyone has the right to their opinions but if you want to sensationalize my home or criticize it then at least have the decency to live here yourself and not go by the words of others! We are not perfect and i will not pretend that we are, whether it was obtained by vote or by court doesnt matter, as a gay person i get the respect and protection by law that i deserve and all that was thanks to the great man that died yesterday. we are a rainbow nation not because we are gay, white or black!

5. PantoHorse 6 Dec 2013, 3:14pm

Your recirculation of this article stinks of blatant cashing in: Let’s get a few more clicks and squeeze out a little more ad revenue by linking this to Nelson Mandela’s death.

1. But would an article on the situation in South Africa have generated comment from you 2 months ago, or 2 months hence?

1. PantoHorse 7 Dec 2013, 1:05pm

Depends on the angle of the story, or the comments made. Why, what’s your point?

6. Tom Cotner 6 Dec 2013, 4:54pm

It seems to me that the USA follows similarly along the same lines as this article suggests – even though we now have many of the freedoms, opportunities, and obligations as our brothers and sisters in South Africa. For example, much, if not most, of the hatred toward our first African-American president is found among those people who live in the former Confederate States of America (which promoted slavery). Not all, assuredly, but a great number. And every excuse in the book is used to deny their personal feelings toward a black president – all false.
    The minds and feelings of those people have not been changed, or even bent, even though it has been fifty years since equal opportunity among races has been established here by law.
    The feelings toward homosexuality ride in the same boat as racial feelings in this country, even though possibly not by the same group(s). The feeling that one is better than another rides deep within the human psyche. A few laws will not change this.

7. It’s a good deal easier to change attitudes in a country like South Africa where homosexuals enjoy the protection of the law, in theory at least, than in countries where it is punishable by death. When I visited Cape Town, there were clearly areas where it felt safe to be gay. I don’t think this relentlessly negative article is helpful.

1. Mark 4369 9 Dec 2013, 3:39am

As a visitor to Cape Town recently, I could not agree more! I would go as far as to say that whilst it has a way to go (and which places don’t?) it’s the gayest place in all Africa…BUT, having lived in many African countries for many years, gay sex is quite rampant; it’s just a matter of being discreet, though!

8. George Broeadhead 7 Dec 2013, 12:11pm

This goes to show that changing the law does not necessarily change people’s attitudes.

For all his good points, it’s a pity that Nelson Mandela never saw fit to condemn Robert Mugabe’s murderous and viciously homophobic regime in Zimbabwe.

9. GingerlyColors 7 Dec 2013, 1:56pm

Rome wasn’t built in a day and it will take many decades for racial, tribal and other divisions to heal in South Africa. Some US States continued to have racial segregation laws 100 years after the abolition of slavery there and today racism and homophobia is still a major problem in parts of the USA. We can only praise South Africa for it’s efforts to resolve it’s Apartheid era problems but with neighbours like Zimbabwe South Africa has an uphill struggle. Many of us worry that there could be a South African version of Robert Mugabe waiting in the wings to seize power now that Nelson Mandela is no longer watching of peoples’ shoulders.

10. If you are white and gay in South Africa (as I am), it is a paradise. Alas, white Gay South Africans, by and large, care very little for the plight of their poorer lesbian and gay brothers and sisters.

11. Let’s get the facts straight about Barney. His killers have since been arrested, tried and convicted to pretty much life in prison. Barney invited strange men into his home for an orgy, was robbed and left for dead – gay or straight in any country this is not wise and while never deserved one has to be careful.

For gays and lesbians in poor areas and as with all crimes in SA they get violent and extreme – do we expect anything less for homophobia?

SA is no utopia but I came out to family and friends of all races and classes and all have ultimately embraced my reality. Having the law on my side is huge, I talk openly at work about my plans to marry my partner and adopt with not a hint of prejudice and if I ever suspect it, legally, HR has to investigate. The human rights council has also fined companies for denying services to gay people etc.

Would this have happened pre-1994? Not a chance. We have a long way to go but our future is bright!

12. Mark 4369 9 Dec 2013, 3:35am

It may be true, but SA is still the gayest country in the African continent.

13. Racism is about a mindset, the culture we grow up in, in a sense indoctrination. I as a non-white South African have expereinced racist attitudes from the LGBT community more often than from my straight friends. Yes we need to acknowledge equaility but we also need to respect cultural belief systems and there is absolutely nothing wrong with figthing this discrimination in courts of law. South Africans need to introspect and decide how they individually on a daily basis can make a difference. That was the ethos of Mr. Mandela.

14. Jon (Malaysia) 13 Dec 2013, 11:49pm

The 1964-65 era in the US brought civil rights legislation. My 12 year old mind said, “Phew! now we don’t need to worry about that anymore”. I thought the predjudices of my grandparents and their generational peers would suddenly end. Silly wasn’t I? Not much changed. Tom mentioned earlier that it’s 50 years since then and attitudes are in many ways unchanged. My thinking over the years has evolved to believe that it’s education not legislation that changes people’s minds. Schooling doesn’t do the job because schooling is subject to the attitudes of the organizers of the school system. Education is different. Education is self generated. The higher levels of education are basically self taught by the interest of the student in a subject guided by a teacher who has already achieved competence in that subject. I would like to see that kind of education started at elementary levels that encourages love of self education in all students. Truly educated people don’t hate us.

15. You should have also accompanied this article written in January with an update from October. The fact that you haven’t smacks either of sloppy journalism or of a hidden agenda. Van Heerden’s killers have been arrested, tried, found guilty and they don’t seem to be connected with other gay murders. http://www.mambaonline.com/2013/10/12/van-heerdens-killers-guilty/

16. To be fair, I went on a field trip to South Africa in April with college (Wildlife conservation). Someone on the group asked the guide whether it was legal to be gay here. He said it was, but it is not accepted that much. However we later found out that this man lived by a strict religion, he could not hug other people, the only person he could hug was his own wife, so when we all said goodbye we had to shake hands. The other guide also said when having a debate about what sport was better football or rugby. He was pro-rugby and said in jest that “Football was for Homosexuals” I was tempted to say well I am homosexual and I like rugby better. I genuinely do as it has much more of a bonding element to it and the team supports each other more than footballers do.

17. I’m so sorry