Tom Daley: ‘I’m dating a guy and I couldn’t be happier’

1. Gary Davy 2 Dec 2013, 2:54pm

Good lad! Brave boy.
    Wishing you all the very best!

2. What a wonderful role model you are Tom; the people who matter to you are proud of you and realise that whoever you are dating is not making any difference to who you are.
    You seem really happy; I hope you stay the wonderful young man you are.

3. Richard Jones 2 Dec 2013, 3:45pm

Congratulations, Tom. Wishing you both all the best.

4. And may he continue to have lifelong happiness by being himself and not hiding who he is. Well done lad. :)

5. ….well done, hats off, knickers off! Dive in…….oh he’s so brave and I really wish him such good-luck—I had been suspicious a long time before–but he’s out now and that’s the most important thing although I hope his guy makes him scream when he comes??

1. Andrew Brettell 2 Dec 2013, 4:23pm

Don’t think the last part of that comment helps.

2. I agree; tasteless and unnecessary. Hopefully, you’ll grow up soon.

6. Andrew Brettell 2 Dec 2013, 4:19pm

I admire this young man. He is telling he truth as it is for him at the moment. I hope he will get loads of support for this brave action.

7. It’s no surprise really but well done. Really happy for you and your boyfriend. No more hiding. Live your life now Tom.

8. Good on yer- well done. May you have happiness through life and if it gets little rough you will dive through it all.
    Enjoy every minute now.

9. Michael2912 2 Dec 2013, 6:39pm

WOW – just WOW! Hard to watch that without welling up. What an incredible guy and what incredible times we’re living through, at least in this small part of the world. Imagine looking forward from 35 years ago – when I was Tom’s age – this would have been unimaginable. Live the life that you want to live; may it be good; and don’t accept others’ constrictions. One more time: WOW!

10. Whether he identifies as gay, bi, or whatever, or feels no need or desire to label himself as anything, good on him!

11. Miguel Sanchez 2 Dec 2013, 6:45pm

Congrats Tom, hope you and your friend are happy and stay together for the rest of your lives.

12. Not wishing to detract from the gesture, sadly this reinforces the notion that being in a relationship that does not conform to the very narrow norm requires publicising and explanation. Bravery this is not…media prophalaxis maybe. To quietly get on with it, and unapologetically confirm it when outed would have made the more powerful statement that we need not explain our relationship, just as straight people assume a presumed right. We do not need to be granted acceptance. We have only ourselves to blame if we don’t expect it.

1. Maybe it’s not very easy to ‘quietly get on with it’ when you have cameras pointing at you everywhere you go? He said he’s been in a relationship since the spring, so he clearly has been ‘getting on with it’ and now, like most other people he wants to let people know that he’s found someone and he’s happy. Unlike most other people the media will focus on this – they would if it was a woman he was dating too – so he’s taken control of the story and told it his way before being ‘outed’. I can’t see anything wrong with that. He isn’t asking for ‘acceptance’ as such, he’s just telling it like it is for him and letting people make up their own minds. Far better in my opinion thatn waiting for a tabliid or trash mag to splash it all over the front page and ask for a quote which they then mangle, something he refrences in the video as already having happened.

1. I’d like to think this was done for the right reason, as I’m sure Tom’s boyfriend does when he does the predictable and declares that he still fancies girls. Media prophylaxis it is.

1. Richard Jones 3 Dec 2013, 12:14am

Yes. Sure. Because if you are a public figure you have to handle the media. And I think he has done it very nicely.

13. Robin Corser-Langford 2 Dec 2013, 8:42pm

Congratulations Tom, I am really pleased for you, just be yourself and enjoy whatever you do and good luck for 2016

14. James Campbell 3 Dec 2013, 1:38am

Each time a milestone is reached such as the deletion of section 28, the same sex marriage act and now a story such as this breaks, I recall how, in-contrast, many have suffered (and still suffer) for the crime of loving someone. Two names on the list of course would be that of Oscar Wilde and Alan Turing and the thousands of the unnamed who perished in the concentration camps (the death rate of homosexuals in concentration camps may have been as high as 60% ). I am sure that others can add to this with many more names. The persecution and killings still go on, but the positive way in which this news of Tom Daley has been received is a bright light shining and pointing the way.

15. Good for Tom Daley. And he’s going to be a good role model for young gay and bi guys too