Sport stars congratulate Tom Daley for talking about same-sex relationship

1. I’m really pleased for Tom. Apart from being as cute as a button and real eye candie he is actually a really hard working individual and a role model to so many people.

I wish him all the very best for a bright and happy future. X

2. I was pleased to see, on the BBC website, that even Gary Lineker had been swift to put up a supportive post on Twitter (or something) – this is so very different from the way it’d have been even even 15 years ago.

1. Indeed so. Let’s hope a gay or bisexual footballer ‘comes out’ soon. That would be a massive thing for football and for society as football is sadly still one of the last refuges for homophobic and biphobic people to spout their bile and ignorance.

2. Beelzeebub 2 Dec 2013, 9:52pm

Surprised the BBC even mentioned it. They didn’t even bother reporting the gay marriage vote last year without dragging in some priest offering dissent.

I stopped paying my license fee then, and will happily turn up in court telling them why.

1. BlokeToys 3 Dec 2013, 1:09pm

I have to agree with you on this, the BBC trolls the nation with one religious freak or another every time there’s a LGBT story it seems. I think in this case it would be even harder for them to justify that, given that it’s not a story that impacts the national landscape in the same way as equal marriage.

1. Sadly, it seems to be down to the obsession the BBC has about providing ‘balance’ on absolutely everything it reports on. Which is quite right, but they always put up some foaming nutjob, who express their opinions as facts.

3. How I wish I didn’t have to watch this reported on the BBC 10 o’clock news. It just seems like we’re stuck in some pathetic bygone era. WHY is anyone’s sexuality still such a big deal? I just don’t get it ….

1. We’ll let me explain….. because there are only a small handful of sportsmen that have the amazing courage to do so; because homophobia still exists throughout the world, because there are 1,000s of young adults all over the world that will read the story and feel a sense of hope, because the parent or friend that rejected their son or daughter may learn to forgive… because it was the truth and because it will help countless people.

1. Well thanks for the patronizing attempt an an explanation.. My post was an attempt at saying how regretful it is that the world is still so homophobic – but it seems people on here have had irony-ectomies.

1. Your comment was sound and heart felt – unfortunately most of the contributors on here are dizzy, shallow queens who react before thinking – and no change in equality laws will change them!

2. This will make gay men feel better about themselves but that’s about it. If anyone thinks this will result in a avalanche of sport outings they are mistaken because the problem with sport lies at the top of the chain and in the dressing room and on the terraces. Tom Daley will not change this.

1. Bobbleobble 3 Dec 2013, 11:54am

But isn’t making LGBT people feel better a good enough reason to make this a story? There may be a few LGBT kids at school today who feel just a little braver because someone like Tom is in a relationship with another guy. I think that’s worth a day’s coverage myself.

I remember when I was younger seeing a gay couple on Eastenders and feeling better about myself and that wasn’t even real life!

3. Well said. Unfortunately, the parent who told their bisexual child, “Nonsense, there’s no such thing as bisexuality. Now are you gay or aren’t you?” (or worse) will feel themselves vindicated. As for forgiveneness, did you mean to type that the homophobic may learn to forgive, or was it an error? Because I certainly don’t want my homophobic parents “forgiving” me for being bi. Not that they’ve acknowledged that bisexuality really exists, of course…

2. PantoHorse 3 Dec 2013, 12:24pm

Blimey, Truth, you certainly didn’t deserve all those down thumbs and the patronisng response from Ukphill.

What you said is absolutely true – it’s sad it’s still such a big issue.

4. I just have this image of a dam waiting to burst of footballers coming out – and it may happen yet the way things are going!

1. BlokeToys 3 Dec 2013, 1:17pm

Indeed, it will happen eventually.
      There are plenty hiding in football, just as there are plenty in the USA in American football, baseball and basketball too. We were hoping to see several come out in the US a few months ago, and apparently they were planning to all do it together for support. But it never came to fruition.

Football in the UK is still one of the most homophobic and racist sporting groups in the Western world, but is it really any surprise when you see people like Sepp Blatter openly laughing like an immature giggling schoolboy in a press meeting when the subject of gay rights comes up?

It’s interesting to me that Rugby is so modern and forward thinking when it comes to these things, but British football is so backward and ignorant. Arguably, Rugby is far more masculine a game, and the players far more stereotypically “alpha male”, yet Rugby is open and supportive of gay players, while Football is closed minded and backward… it’s fascinating to see that.

5. “for talking about same-sex relationship”

OMG! This is like some Orwellian nightmare.

1. Couldn’t agree more – but I see you too have received the thumbs-down. I simply do not understand WHY the BBC’s flagship news programme made this a story. Homophobic playground bullies will NOT see this as something positive. They will no doubt use it as a weapon … and anyone who thinks otherwise (like the simpering Ukphill above) are living in cuckoo land

6. Graham S. 3 Dec 2013, 9:37am

Ok its time to move on now. The paper coverage today of this is ridiculous. Im gay and happy for him but is this really a groundbreaking story that is going to change humanity? Does it affect anyone? Is great he is a positive role model but there are more imprudent issues in the world that need reporting. This isn’t even surprising news. Lets move on.

1. Graham S. 3 Dec 2013, 9:38am

I meant important issues! Doing this on my phone.

2. Have you noticed how many thumbs-down those of us not fawning and simpering over this story are receiving? People should grow some and stop acting like silly love-sick schoolgirls. Yes – he’s been brave. But he would have been ‘outed’ by a tabloid sooner rather than later – which I believe is what actually lies behind this revelation. In my humble opinion, it did not deserve third lead story on the BBC’s 10 o’clock news. What next? Prince George comes out as having blue eyes …?

3. bobbleobble 3 Dec 2013, 11:17am

Why does all news have to be important or have to change humanity? How can Tom be a role model if his sexuality is kept quiet and never discussed? And yes it could affect people, young LGBT people who see someone like Tom being able to be open about himself, it may help them feel better about themselves. Maybe Tom coming out will help other sportsmen feel able to come out too.

But in the end keeping the story alive is about more than just Tom. It helps us look at what is still not right in our society. Why is Tom coming out such a massive story? And why is it still so difficult for men in particular to be openly gay in sport, especially when they’re at the height of their careers?

7. Tom, “I kissed a guy and I liked it.”

8. To all those who rant about this being a no brainer of a story and that its no big deal anymore, well i wonder how many of those are really open about their sexuality with all of their family members,work collegues,their life insurer, their bank,their mortgage provider, their neighbours, can they walk hand in hand down any high street and not get harrased or attacked? Can they travel to any country in the world without fear of prosecution or a death sentance just for being who you are.? I could go on. We still do not have the freedoms of the straight majority. Some poor lad took his life on a cocktail of prescription drugs earlier this year over his sexuality and countess others have already done the same. Don’t tell anyone that this is no big deal to tell all about your sexuality. It takes courage and guts especially for our LGBT youth. We should be supporting them and not critising them for an honest and open statement. Well done Tom! x

9. I cannot help that feel terribly sad when reading about this, selfishly it makes me realise that at the age of 40 by not embracing my sexuality openly and honestly I have wasted my life. Good luck to you Daley.

1. Don’t have regrets, just make the most of your life now, be here now.