Malta: Catholic bishop claims gay couples do ‘not have a role in society’

1. And since priests don’t produce offspring …. well, you do the math. That really has to be the least self-aware comment I’ve heard in a while.

1. white squirrel 1 Dec 2013, 8:14am

and the previous ‘least self aware’ commnets you heard also probably came from leaders of religions
      up next – old people and the infertile dont produce offspring either
      and if these various groups have no role in society what does this creationist idiot suggest be done about them-euphenasia perhaps ?

2. Don Harrison 2 Dec 2013, 10:40am

That is Catholic Priests. For example Church of England Priests can and do marry. That includes Bishops.

2. Just so we’re clear, the CELIBATE man thinks people who don’t produce offspring have no role in society.

1. Perhaps it’s his way of tacitly admitting he’s fathered three of his cook’s children – ? Probably by his reckoning (if no-one else’s) that’d make him a useful member of society.

3. An absolutely stunning statement. Homophobia is alive and kicking in the Roman Church despite its Pope.

4. Erm, hello? An individual who’s taken a vow of celibacy is making pronouncements on the usefulness of childless people?

Gobsmacking. (As in, he deserves a good smack in the gob, at the very least to prevent him from making such stupid comments again.)

5. Ahh, he really needs to read the latest sociology/anthropology studies done with “primitive” tribes where “non-reproducing” gay members of families have been demonstrated to be a genetic advantage in the role of both reproduction and familial cohesion.

It’s funny however, they didn’t find any such advantages to a celibate priesthood.

The irony of his statement (I think I’m using the word ironic correctly here? please correct me if no.. it’s “one of those words”) appears to be lost on the good bishop.

1. Midnighter 29 Nov 2013, 3:16pm

And not just in humans. There are plentiful examples in nature that demonstrate the existence and survival advantage to the species of having non-breeding aunties and uncles to help improve the survivability of offspring.

There is also some interesting stuff about the possibility of a genetic advantage to the female relatives of gay offspring in increasing their fertility

Homosexuality exists in nature, whereas religion (along with self-imposed celibacy) is an aberration peculiar to certain sub-groups of humans.

2. Frank Boulton 1 Dec 2013, 12:51pm

Well, I’m sure that I wouldn’t describe as “primitive tribes” the people who have have contributed least to raping and trashing our planet. However, (to stay on topic) one doesn’t have to look in exotic locations to see the contributions made to society by LGBTI people. What about all the lives saved and improved by LGBTI doctors and nurses to start with? What about our contributions to the sciences, arts, entertainment, charities and many other endeavours?

British society didn’t have a place for Alan Turing. It’s just as well that his work on Enigma succeeded before he became an outcast. I wonder how many people are alive today thanks to his contribution.

6. And I bet he’s too dumb to see the hypocrisy.

7. I think he’s realising that the Catholic Church is rapidly losing its role in society as people see the pious hypocrites for what they really are

1. … and, as your head-man said recently …”Who am I to judge gay people?”. These nobodies – self-appointed moral guardians – should keep their noses out of mainstream politics. They are, after all, simply leaders of a cult – a club – a hobby, for those sad individuals who need more ‘spirituality’ in their lives. When is the world going to stop pandering to this mumbo-jumbo and the people who enjoy very nice, privileged lives spreading it? It is YOU who have no role in society. If you and your outfit vanished tomorrow, would anyone really care? I’d miss my local hospital. But … church ….? Not me! I just feel desperately sorry for the weakness in people which makes them taken in by and cow-tow to this lot.

8. when are we going to hear aboyt this piece of s**t gay escapades??

9. Elsewhere: Gay couple claims Catholic bishops do ‘not have a role in society’

10. Excuse the random Friday afternoon response (to this hypocritical nonesense) to muse on my favourite book opening ….”It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbiship had come to see me.” [Anthiny Burgess, Earthly Powers] ………set in Malta.

11. …..you see it’s crapheads like this that really infuriate me, he knows nothing about REAL life.

…can there be anyway of preventing gits like this from speaking gibberish??

1. Yes – ingnore them. The more they spew-out this vile nonsense, the faster they’ll demise – for good. It must be pretty obvious to them – especially the pope – the the game is up. There are only two possible responses when you’re beaten; fight harder – or – admit defeat, moderate your tone and maybe you’ll survive. This nobhead is trying the former while his boss is trying the opposite.

12. Richard Jones 29 Nov 2013, 3:41pm

I see: so how many offspring does the Roman Catholic bishop have? What arrogant bombast and nonsense.

13. Louis Stornebrink 29 Nov 2013, 3:45pm

He doesn’t produce offspring either, so he is just another man with “no role in society”.
    The arrogance, ignorance, and stupidity is unbelievable. When will it ever end?

14. Following that logic, infertile or celibate people have no role in society but if you are insane and can reproduce, God loves ya. Nice logic (the sarcasm is free today).

15. Derek Williams 29 Nov 2013, 3:53pm

Telling LGBT teenagers they have no role in society will further drive in the wedge of suicide ideation already being provoked by school bullying.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Nov 2013, 4:28pm

His statement is actually an exercise in bullying. Sending extremely derogatory and negative messages such as that will only foment more homophobia and open up the door for more bullying. Vile bigot and an equally vile and bigoted church. The pope’s empty words mean absolutely NOTHING.

2. I think (hope, anyway) you may be wrong on that, Derek. For instance, I have many Spanish friends. The younger generations there (under 40), in what was once a bastion of Catholicism, have absolutely no time for the church. They’ve realised that the church exists for its own ends – to line pockets and provide a nice, comfortable, privileged life for its priests. I can only hope it’s a similar situation in Malta. Until people like this vile bishop are silenced, I for one won’t be heading for a holiday there. I don’t think we, as a community, do enough fighting-back at these imbeciles. If the gay ‘community’ started a ‘Boycott Malta Tourism’ campaign until tw*ts like this apologise, we may get results. I’ve always found that a swift kick to the wallet serves as an almost miraculous adjuster to someone’s moral views …..

16. Warren Peace 29 Nov 2013, 4:05pm

People with out children are harder to control they don’t have to worry about the consequences to their offspring if they question authority. So if the powers that be can’t control them they must belittle them in the eyes of society or risk loosing control over their flock of sheep. Now go be a good sheep and breed sheep breed!

17. Robert in S. Kensington 29 Nov 2013, 4:17pm

Says a supposedly celibate cleric of a vile paedophile protective church which has NO role or moral authority in society.

18. Bishops do not produce children and so by his own logic, they serve no role in society. Well, they do serve one role, they are the official pedophiles who ruin lives.

19. … and, as your head-man said recently …”Who am I to judge gay people?”. These nobodies – self-appointed moral guardians – should keep their noses out of mainstream politics. They are, after all, simply leaders of a cult – a club – a hobby, for those sad individuals who need more ‘spirituality’ in their lives. When is the world going to stop pandering to this mumbo-jumbo and the people who enjoy very nice, privileged lives spreading it? It is YOU who have no role in society. If you and your outfit vanished tomorrow, would anyone really care? I’d miss my local hospital. But … church ….? Not me! I just feel desperately sorry for the weakness in people which makes them taken in by and cow-tow to this lot.

20. The guy is a complete twat. He certainly has no role in society

21. But will they have a role if they are superstitious Bishop? Does superstition confer entitlement to a place in society then? Hmmm.

22. As a single heterosexual woman I haven’t produced offspring and am unlikely to, so does that mean I don’t have a role in society?

1. white squirrel 1 Dec 2013, 8:03am

single non baby producing woman – do you really need to ask what role in society the xian church thinks you have?

1. ‘Fraid you don’t as far as the Catholics are concerned. It is your duty to produce as many little Catholics as possible – not for any particular religious reason… but purely and simply to swell the influence and number of followers of the Catholic Church. Same with priestly marriage. They stay single again not for biblical reasons but purely to keep their property within the church when they die. Otherwise it would go to their widows ….

23. Funny though – I used to live in Malta and had many Sunday lunches with high-ranking local Catholic priests AND their toyboys. So, good to know that their own clergy has no function in society..well, I kind of always knew that :)

24. So I don’t suppose those thousands of young boys you castrated for centuries to sing in your choirs had any role in society either!

What an arsewipe.

25. If this is what religion does to reasoning and intellect, I’ll pass.
    Stupidity and such arrogance. Phew
    I wonder if he has any concept of the damage he does to young minds, those who are taken in by this nonsense, the bullying and physical assaults he is responsible for by those who use this stuff as a justification for their animus and harm they do.

26. Hate to be the one to tell you this, bishop, but neither do you have a role in society.

27. maltamonument 30 Nov 2013, 2:41am

oh dear lord, I’m so proud of my country (Malta) but so ashamed of its stupid people -.-

28. James Savik 30 Nov 2013, 3:10am

Exactly what positive role in society do pedophile religious fanatics wearing roles serve?

29. PeterinSydney 30 Nov 2013, 5:45am

Another stupid gay hating Catholic Bishop. Go to hell!!! Makes me sick actually.

30. Tammi Phillips 30 Nov 2013, 7:50am

Michael replied I am alarmed that some people able to make 4474 bucks in a few weeks on the computer. why not look here>>> F­B­3­­9.C­O­M

31. I understand that in the consultative survey which the Catholic Church is currently asking its members at all levels and all around the world to complete, they ask Catholics at one point in the survey to suggest methods by which Catholics can be encouraged to reproduce, in order to increase the population!

Yes, that’s where this backward loony lot are at. Although this planet is ALREADY gravely over-populated, although this planet will not be able to sustain billions more greedy mouths, the idiotic Catholic Church (much like other religions) believes that human and reproduction increasing the population is what it’s all about.

We really need significant figures like David Attenborough to smack them round the chops.

32. soapbubblequeen 30 Nov 2013, 3:39pm

Who cares what this balding fat fuc8kbag thinks?! Go and choke on a Malteser while praying to Poppa Jim Bowen dear!

33. So by a simple extension of his logic, Catholic bishops and priests do “not produce offspring” so do “not have a role in society”.

34. Interesting. I guess that means that Roman Catholic priests have no place in society, since they don’t reproduce.

35. Incredible statement. So we can exclude widows, widowers, unmarried teens, children, couples who are unable to have children, the Pope etc as having no role in society. Methinks he should return to the era of the Spanish Inquisition – he would, no doubt, find a role for himself.