New Mexico: Teen knocked out in shopping mall anti-gay assault captured on video

1. This is fuc*ed up.

Would the mall also ban any other victim of assault from their property? I find that hard to believe.
    I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and suggest that it’s because they’re both teenagers, rather than because the victim is gay, but it still doesn’t look good for them.

What’s with the blurred out face? It’s fascinating that the victim is willing to show his face on camera after being attacked like that, and yet the person who attacked him on video is protected from identification.

I get so angry over this, these freaks need to be named and shamed, they are dangerous thugs and they are abusing other people. Their faces and names (and the names of their parents too) should be put up all over the city.

This is assault, it’s criminal, he should be arrested whether the victim wants to press charges or not. There is enough evidence in that one video to charge him and take him through the courts.

2. Derek Williams 27 Nov 2013, 12:39pm

The 14yo kid made a serious error in not pressing charges. All this confirms for bullies and antigay thugs is that you can always hit a gay person, because they won’t fight back and they won’t press charges.

I urge him to press charges and to sue the mall. The law has been broken, and the law is there to protect us. Use it.

1. Tom Cotner 27 Nov 2013, 4:40pm

I absolutely agree. This nonsense will not stop until victims stand up for their rights and sue those organisations (malls, companies, whatever) who allow this to happen.

3. Helge Vladimir Tiller 27 Nov 2013, 12:57pm

Charge The Mall and the person who attacked. I wish the victims family could do so! A hard blow like that might be very dangerous.

4. A fight over a girl?

5. He should press charges and sue the shopping mall too!!! Don’t back down!

6. siggiportugal 27 Nov 2013, 2:00pm

Absolutely disgusting

7. Robert Rowley 27 Nov 2013, 2:32pm

Why are the New Mexico authorities not charging the attacker with assault and a hate crime?

8. An attack is an attack, no matter how you slice it. Even if the victim declines to press charges (you’re a better man than I, Issaic), prosecutors MUST charge the attacker AND his accomplices, and sentence be carried out to the fullest extent of the law. The mall management MUST reconsider its decision to ban the victim from the premises. What is it about the word “victim” that they fail to understand? And what of the shoppers in this allegedly family-friendly shopping venue? How do they explain to their traumatized children that Coronado Mall is an unsafe place, that an attack on innocent people is almost inevitable? Be warned, Albuquerque shoppers: Coronado Mall is not safe, and you should stay away. Use the power of the boycott, and let’s see the lights of the mall dark and the parking lot empty before Christmas. Hit them where it hurts the most!

9. The authorities should step up and make sure charges are filed. It takes a real man to sucker punch another person. Was he afraid to face the boy? Come on Mall and let the boy back in. He did nothing wrong. Issaic, you need to press charges and let this coward know his actions have a price!

10. The 14 YO should not be banned, and the poor perpertrator is obviously angry that the 14 year old can express his sexuality and that he cannot.

11. Michele Perry 27 Nov 2013, 7:33pm

Why are there even laws in place,to prevent this and it’s mostly said that it’s not an assault on a LGBT person? And then,this boy gets thrown out of the mall,for a year,because he got punched? WTH is wrong with people? Is it because it’s 2 kids? Is it because one is gay and who cares about the gay kid? The only way this will stop is if the laws get followed the way they’re written!

12. I’m over fifty, and can remember assaults involving minors being handled that way when I was a kid. If the person who was attacked had been an adult, the adult would not have been penalized.

Our society has made very little progress in the way it treats young people. If the victim of this crime had been heterosexual, it’s likely he still would have been punished along with his assailant just because of his age.

If a someone of legal age is attacked, most of the time it will be called a crime. If the injured person is under eighteen, one of two things will happen. Either it’s assumed he/she was at fault, or the incident is minimized (“Kids,” the adults will say, shaking their heads).

When I was fifteen, I was robbed by two other teenagers at a shopping mall. I begged the mall’s private security people to call the police, and they refused. The security people told me to leave, and when I stepped back outside I was confronted again. True story.

1. friday jones 27 Nov 2013, 8:43pm

You’re right, when I was a kid in primary school in the Sixties, no matter what the circumstances of the “fight” were, BOTH parties received equal punishment. And, even worse, if you tried to NOT fight, the adults who were allegedly responsible for your protection would tell you “fight your own battles.” I kid you not, you could not avoid a fight because the adults in your life would usually MAKE YOU FIGHT IF YOU DIDN’T WANT TO. Because they had some seriously messed-up ideas about what it took to “be a man.” Apparently, in those days, “being a man” meant doing things as a boy that would get you arrested as an adult man, and for which you’d be punished anyway, for “fighting.”

13. Isaac I strongly encourage you to charge this little coward and sue the mall. You will win on both counts and it will prevent either situation from happening again to someone less strong than you clearly are. Think about it.

14. Anthony T. Prestil 27 Nov 2013, 9:14pm

Cowards attack from behind. A real man faces his foes.

15. Can the Yanks go any lower?

16. Peter White 28 Nov 2013, 3:33am

So….what is the Mall management saying here; it’s OK to punish the victim if the victim is Gay? This wasn’t a “fight”, and that can be seen clearly from the video this yellow-bellied arsewipe and his equally gutless trailer-trash friends posted; it was a cowardly, sneak attack perpetrated by a bunch of mentally challenged douchebags who, if it was my son they had attacked, would now be viewing life from inside a body-cast.

17. Margaret Hoffman 28 Nov 2013, 8:51am

Alice said I am inspired that a student able to earn 5238 bucks in one month on the internet. have a peek at this web-site>>> F­B­3­­9.C­O­M

18. UnderAviaduct 28 Nov 2013, 1:46pm

If you are reading this, I think you are an extremely brave and mature 14 year old. I hope your family and real friends are proud of you.

Your attacker is a pathetic coward and is the mall owned by fun dies or something?

19. If he was armed this never would of happened….

20. Frank Boulton 1 Dec 2013, 4:44am

I agree with most other commentators on this item. Issaic should press charges and sue the mall, and the local LGBTI community should organize a boycott and try to get non-gay to participate in the boycott, too.

I’m 60 and I was attacked by a guy in his late teens about a month ago. I fought back and he came off worst and ran off like a little coward.. Now he knows that “queer bashing” can have a whole new meaning, that he never dreamed of in his worst nightmare.

We need to stand up for ourselves – self-defence, report crime, prosecute, sue and boycott.