Illinois Governor signs equal marriage into law by quoting Abraham Lincoln

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 21 Nov 2013, 11:10am

Lovely Governor with a charming smile ! And now I have more happy Brothers and Sisters. This time in beautiful ILLINOIS, USA. Oh,happy me- Oh Happy Day ! Love from Norway !

2. Tom Cotner 21 Nov 2013, 3:13pm

Yippee!!! One state at a time — we’ll eventually get there with all of them.

3. Tom Cotner 21 Nov 2013, 3:14pm

Yippee!!! We’ll finally get there — one state at a time!!!

4. My partner and I moved to Chicago, thirty years ago, and we always had hopes that someday it would happen and we’d be able to be a recognized couple. Unfortunately, he died five years before it finally happened. I went to the signing ceremony to honor him, and as the governor touch the pen to the bill, I looked upward for a second and said; Well, babe, it’s official, we’re married.

It’s a odd feeling, after all those years of struggling with inequality, to suddenly have that weight lifted off your shoulders with a simple signature, and it’s going to take some time to get used to not being ever vigilant. I feel strangely…happy.

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 21 Nov 2013, 8:44pm

What a valuable story, dear beautiful Gary Dee ! Thank you so much, I understand your thoughts and feelings. Thank you for sharing Your story with the world. I have tears in my eyes right now- tears are our diamonds. We must not hide them, but let them shine, to tell what we are made of, to tell about our life. You and Your lovely partner are together- Your relationship has moved into eternity. Love from Oslo, Norway !

2. James Campbell 29 Nov 2013, 12:54am

Gary, set against the background of homophobia, threats, bigotry, capital punishment, torture and lies, your story shines out like a new star leaving the rest in darkness. Of course you and your husband are married and always will be. The paper signed by the Governor tidies up the admin details and will eventually be repeated in every state, correcting a wrong which should have been put right many years ago. My brother is Gay and I look forward to the day when he will have the same rights as I enjoy.

5. “Illinois Governor signs equal marriage into law by quoting Abraham Lincoln”

Goodness me! Renowned American statesman, expert vampire hunter and now successful wedding planner with some of the most competitive prices on the market: is there no end to this man’s talents…?!

6. Abraham Lincoln speech the “Gettysburg Address” during the civil war was to remind Americans of what this country represents; reiterating the Declaration of Independence, focusing on the written word of human equality. Because of his leadership like a rock being throne into a pond with its ripple affects threw time leading us to have the first Black President today. And as of more then 2 years ago the first Black American President Barack Obama has paved a road for equality for Gays and Lesbians, since’s he has been president 15 states have declared marriage equality threw blood and sweat. Maybe we can’t imagine it right now or even be alive to see it, but one day someone will write this same thing I’m saying but rather then a white president fighting for black equality or a black president fighting for gays and lesbians equality it will be a Gay or Lesbian President fighting for a minority who’s rights have been stolen. ______ Happy today for the Land of Lincoln

1. Frank Boulton 24 Nov 2013, 9:14am

Every time a country, state or region legislates in favour of same-sex marriage, it brings the same dream closer to reality for LGBTI people in other parts of the world. I have no doubt in my mind that we now have marriage equality in New Zealand largely thanks to the influence of Barack Obama.