Daily Telegraph’s Brendan O’Neill: ‘Gay now means rubbish – get over it’

1. Kerry Hollowell 19 Nov 2013, 6:41pm

Brendan O’neill does know better but loves being a bully. I have quite a few nephews and it was common for them and their friends to use the term gay meaning rubbish, lame etc , but as soon as I came out they stopped instantly with just rare slip ups. It’s far from a losing battle.

2. Well, if anyone kniows about being naff and generally crappy it’s O’Neill

3. PantoHorse 19 Nov 2013, 7:01pm

Wow. And having one’s sexuality associated with things that are “rubbish pathetic or lame” doesn’t do any harm at all does it?

1. Spanner1960 21 Nov 2013, 3:11pm

Language is fluid. Gay once meant “happy”, then it meant”homosexual”, now it means “naff”.
      Moaning about it isn’t going to change anything.

1. But it doesn’t “now” though, does it? Even the small minority of young people who use it to mean “rubbish/naff” would still also refer to a homosexual person as gay, which is by far the widest usage of the word today: that’s the problem.

‘Nigger’, ‘wog’, ‘spaz’, ‘retard’ and many many other words were once common playground insults and now are no longer acceptable – or, largely, used at all. Change can indeed come about through “moaning.”

4. He seems to have missed the point. Apart from his homophobic explanation of why ‘gay’ may have come to mean rubbish he’s missing the hidden content contained in how the term is used. Studies have been done before that make the claim that the word ‘gay’ when used by young people is not being directed at gay people and is therefore not homophobic but all of those studies also showed that the word is being used to ostracise people for behaviour that doesn’t confirm to gender norms. That usage is connected to homophobia even if the actual people it is being used against are not gay.

I would be fine with young people using the word ‘gay’ the way they do if homophobia and heteronormativity were absent from our schools and wider culture but they aren’t which makes this case radically different to the other examples he uses.

5. If the homophobia in using the word “gay” to describe something negatively isn’t obvious, the homophobia in O’Neill’s writing certainly is.

1. Kafiristani 19 Nov 2013, 7:32pm

we need to remember that the word gay used to mean happy = then homo and now lame . It is not homophobia to use the new meaning any more than it was anti happy to use the term for homosexuals .

6. well, if the word “journalist” can be used for this guy, then I guess the word “gay” can be used for rubbish?

(and for the record, I am vehemently against the use of the word “gay” as a pejorative. the above was a joke of sorts)

7. Katiekooleyes 19 Nov 2013, 7:23pm

Well apparently nobody knows what it means, seeing as definitions of the word are being removed from the dictionary.

1. Only one dictionary, and the lamest of them all – the one managed by Apple.
      You can be assured that the Oxford English Dictionary will not be bowing down to any ranting imbecile who doesn’t know the difference between factual information and encouraging of hatred.

1. Katiekooleyes 20 Nov 2013, 7:41am

Ok, that’s true enough. Consider my previous comment revoked. Reason: didn’t think it through enough :)

8. Kafiristani 19 Nov 2013, 7:28pm

I all ways hated the term gay and am very happy that it now has a new meaning , I have allways called myself a homosexual or a homo but never a gay . We need to reclaim homo as this is in fact what most of us are, not gay. At least one reporter has it right .

1. Mihangel apYrs 19 Nov 2013, 7:36pm

“homo” carries too much nastiness for me to adopt it. It could be generational.

2. “Homosexual” only applies to my sexuality.
      Why would I identify myself with only that single aspect of my being?

Being a gay man means more than who I f*ck with. It’s also who I LOVE.

Go ahead, call yourself a “homo” (which personally I find QUITE offensive), or shine that spotlight on the single aspect of your life – your sex act.

And speak for yourself. I am GAY, not a “homo”. You sound like a serious self-loather.

But please don’t try and make the word “gay” out to be a bad word.
      It’s been around for centuries with the meaning of homosexual men. It’s not a modern invention.

1. I think “gay” has actually meant “homosexual” for a little less than a century – before that it was associated with promiscuity and prostitution (as well as meaning something like “joyful”).

2. Spanner1960 21 Nov 2013, 3:12pm

“It’s been around for centuries”
        Citation required.

3. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Nov 2013, 1:25pm

Obviously you are unaware that ‘homosexual’ was a word used by Sigmund Freud in the 19th century which came to mean (in the medical profession up until the 70s, that one was suffering from a mental illness. That you are happy with that speaks volumes about the type of person you are.

1. And one of the ironies is that Freud himself did not think homosexuality was a mental illness – just his alleged followers. It is, in any case, a clinical term, not to be used in general discourse, any more than one would refer to oneself as a first level of identification as a ‘diabetic’. Outside of specific contexts, that would not happen. You would not introduce yourself as ‘Bob Smith, admitted diabetic’.

2. Frank Boulton 21 Nov 2013, 4:17pm

The word “homosexual” was not coined by Freud and it’s first attested use has no element of pathology in its meaning. Yes, homosexuality came to be regarded as a mental illness but we campaigned to have the issue redressed and to reclaim the word.

Similarly, pejorative uses of the word “gay” don’t have to be with us for ever. Such usage is the latest fashion in an age when words can be born and die in a matter of months. We need to challenge the media for giving such a negative portrayal of gay culture. We need to remind them, especially Brendan O’Neill, of the greatest achievements of gay culture, such as Michelangelo’s Sonnet Veggio nel tuo bel viso, Shakespeare’s Sonnets, Sappho’s poetry, the music of groups like Queen and Erasure. The list goes on. We’ll win this battle,too.

4. Queer is what I personally prefer.

9. Oh the irony of this creature writing such an article in the Telegraph, the one paper that still prefers to write ‘homosexual’ rather than ‘gay’.

1. That was my first thought about his article.

2. I despise the Telegraph. Its anti-gay bias is really disgusting.

And the comments are even worse. Of course this guy would be writing for the Telegraph.

10. By his own terminology, Brendan O’Neill is very gay.

11. What a well really written article, “well written” now means “badly written” of course.

12. Obvious homophobe is obvious.

13. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Nov 2013, 8:14pm

Maybe he can add another…”That’s so Brendan O’Neill”….e.g. a classic example of rubbish.

14. Robert in S. Kensington 19 Nov 2013, 8:15pm

A rubbish journalist writing for an equally yellow journalistic rubbish rag of a newspaper.

15. Just the usual rabble rousing junk. It will get some comments of approval in the Telegraph of course. Of course he will know that minorities have always been easy targets for lazy journalism.

1. … exactly the same reasons Putin has targeted gay people for his ‘special attention'; marginalisation of a minority galvanises mob mentality. Hitler said, “The masses are feminine and stupid. Only emotion and hatred can keep them under control”. Newspaper journalists like O’Neil have capitalised on that sentiment for years …..

16. Brian Wharton 19 Nov 2013, 9:01pm

No excuses! Things passed down keep their integral meanings!

17. And, Mr O’Neil, suppose kids start using the word ‘Irish’ to mean ‘disgusting, thick bigot’? Would you, as presumably someone with Irish heritage, not be aggrieved especially if young Irish kids commit suicide because of the humiliation? Takes on a different light under those circumstances, doesn’t it, Mr O’Neil?

18. That There Other David 19 Nov 2013, 9:11pm

He’s such a complete Brendan.

19. What an idiot.

It is still intrinsically attached to BEING gay. It doesn’t just mean ‘lame’, it’s also commonly used to mean something is ‘girly’, and a recent study showed that 87% of gay kids were upset by it. Why should they have to put up with this homophobic BS?

20. It’s no surprise. Brendan O’ Neill has based his entire career on being a contrary knob-end.

BTW “contrary knob-end” in this context of course means “rubbish”. Get over it, Brendan.

21. If a group of people started using the n-word to mean something different there is no doubt in my mind that people would be outraged and offended. I’m sure black people wouldn’t want that word to be used at all, notwithstanding a change in meaning. I as a gay man do no wish to be associated with trash. The only trash here is O’Neill, who I’m sure would disapprove of the use of the word Mick in all contexts. And stop glorifying trash with the word rubbish. It’s trash or garbage.

22. Lion in Winter 19 Nov 2013, 10:03pm

Right…. and Negroes like hearing about the “black market”.

1. some people the words ‘negro’ and ‘homosexual’ with the same tone of voice as they would if they said ‘n*gger’ and ‘queer’ but they think they’re not racist or homophobic because they use the ‘proper’ word.

1. It is different. “Black” was used in its negative connotations centuries before people of colour chose it to replace the word negro.
        “Gay” although also a stolen word was used first as a necessary code word among the community at a time when homosexuality was illegal. It was later adopted as a badge of pride. It’s negative use now is deliberately insulting and offensive.
        I hope we can change things but if not we will rise above it.

1. I dont think ‘people of colour’ chose the word at all. Isn’t it the generic term for their race? Correct me if I am wrong.

Frankly I’m not sure ‘people of colour’ is a good name for anyone. We all have a colour even if it is pale pink or even pale blue as Billy Connolly once described his Celtic skin. Albinos are the only people without colour. ‘People of colour’ is patronising political correctness. Negro, Eurasian, Asian, etc. would be fine if not used perjoratively. As would homosexual and homo if it was not used as an insult. We all need to reclaim words that have been used as insults.

1. “Their race”? So everyone who’s not white now belongs to one race?!

However, I agree with you about “people of colour”, a tiresome catchall euphemism for what is really, given what people actually mean, the more brutal “non-white”. But it developed out of issues people had with the previously acceptable term “coloured.

No-one of any sensitivity speaking English today would use the term “Negro”.

2. Spanner1960 21 Nov 2013, 3:15pm

The correct scientific term for black people is negroid.
            Negro comes from the Latin for the colour black.

2. Frank Boulton 22 Nov 2013, 3:46pm

It’s just common courtesy to refer to a person or group of people by the name that they want to be called by. I find it offensive to be called “Frankie” when I introduce myself as “Frank”, because it contradicts how I prefer to identify myself.

We were first called gay in 17th- and 18th-century England. It was meant as a put-down, because all forms of enjoyment (including church music) were regarded as sinful. We decided that we liked the term. Our detractors don’t like that. We should tell them that they invented this terminology that they dislike. so, it’s their problem, not ours.

23. Tell you what, lets change “gay” in his article to “Daily Telegraph reader”…

24. What an amazing and improbable coincidence that in a homophobic culture, everything terrible and disgusting *just so happens* to get called gay! What would we gays do without straight people like Brendan O’Neill to explain to explain to us how homophobia works?! I’m so glad I finally understand.

1. Sadly I haver to tell you that O’Neill is gay. The most effective word to use in the context of Mr O’Neill is “traitor”.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 20 Nov 2013, 1:22pm

He is? Are you sure about that? If he is, then yes, traitor and self-loather are appropriate.

2. You’re kidding! Seriously?

1. Yes – seriously. He referred to his civl partner in his address to the Scottish parliamentary committee.

1. Blimey!

2. I have to say it seems hard to believe – there is literally nothing on the matter I can find by googling. How come this level of hypocrisy hasn’t been thrown back in his face by now, if he really is gay?

25. Where I’m from Tory means Twat……. is that OK now?

1. it’s fine by me!

26. Stop referring to these immature homophobes and their homophobic culture as youth culture and bring back the term juvenile delinquents if they can’t behave responsibly.

1. Excellent suggestion.

27. Cardinal Fang 20 Nov 2013, 12:29am

That guy’s a right Brendan if you ask me. What a pity if Brendan became synonymous with tosser.

28. This use of the word gay actually started in the US with South Park and spread from there. It wasn’t youth slang until kids saw it on TV. And it is definitely, intentionally homophobic as originally used. If the word used this way was “black” or “girlie,” the bias would be obvious. That so many miss the undertones just shows how acceptable homophobia is in our pop culture.

1. the first recorded use of “gay” to mean lame or bad was 1978. SouthPark started in 1997.

So no, that use of the term “gay” did not start with SouthPark, it started a good 20 years earlier.

1. Oh, that’s interesting – where was the first recorded usage?

2. Ben Foster 20 Nov 2013, 3:12pm

South Park is not exactly an example of good citizenship for anyone to follow. It’s like taking Alf Garnett at his word.

3. Pray tell, what was the first recorded usage then? I never heard it in this sense before South Park, and I was 13 in 1978. How did I manage going through high school and junior high in America and not hear this? Gay was a disparaging remark, but it always meant “homosexual,” not “bad” or “stupid.” And it wasn’t used for things, other than clothes associated with being gay. The first time I heard it used this way was about 1998, in graduate school. I remember it clearly. One of my students used it in a conference, and it made me gasp.

29. James Savik 20 Nov 2013, 1:41am

It means getting punched in the face if you use it in front of the wrong guy.

I’m the wrong guy.

30. Stephen Frost 20 Nov 2013, 1:48am

Sadly, I’ve heard from many LGBT people who agree with him. People don’t seem to understand that the big difference is that they very much are equating being gay with being crap. It’s entirely what the phrase means and people who use it without thinking what they are saying, well, that’s just plain old stupidity in action. When you say “that’s so gay”, you’re saying “that is crappy and I see gay as a synonym for crappy”. Of course young gay people are going to feel that they themselves are crap when they are told this. Another thing I heard was about free speech and banning words etc. Nobody has suggested banning the word. The campaign is about educating people about the effects their words have. How anybody can be against educating people about the consequences of there actions, is completely beyond me.

31. If you use the word gay derogatory, you harm gay people. Obviously people should be educated about that. What is wrong with him? Oh, I forgot he is a homophobic idiot or a homophobic liar, cause he once stated that equal marriage is a made up issue, that doesn’t make the life of a lot of people better. What a vile man.

32. Staircase2 20 Nov 2013, 2:06am

Ironic he uses the word ‘naff’ to describe gay culture given that naff is actually an old polari word meaning ‘straight’ (to mean, wait for it! ‘rubbish’)

Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive…

33. How Did the word ‘Gay’ come to mean ‘rubbish’ or ‘lame’?

I’ve got a suspicion that its use as a negative probably popped up in the world of gangster rap.
    Loads of youth expressions have been imported from the rap world and rappers have always famously disliked gays and the idea of homosexuality.

Some people see the negative use of the word ‘gay’ as the evolution of language but I don’t care for this argument much. It is undoubtedly an evolution of language but one sparked by a group of people – somewhere in this world – hating gay people.

If you If you see a kid using ‘gay’ in that way they either need to be corrected and educated with stern words or simply given a slap. After all, using words without knowing the meaning they’ve held for the last two centuries is totally f**king black.

1. Mikey, It’s related but I really don’t think what’s described in the article you linked to too has much to do with the ubiquitous way the word gay has recently come to be used to mean rubbish by young kids at school.

There is a culture if suburb ebonics, white kids talking like they think black gangsta rappers might talk (and black kids too for that matter), I’ve often heard them when I travel on trains, the ones trying to be cool suddenly start talking like this and going on about their bitches etc, it’s aggressive talk but it sounds really stupid and it makes me laugh but if you were a young kid you might be impressed and want to copy it (or get bullied if you don’t) so it spreads.

34. Say whatever you like. I’m just too tired of this all. Hatred wears your defenses thin. It was nothing when I was young. Now that I’m going on 70, it comes home to roost. No matter how high or low you are in the social hierarchy, no matter how much power you wield over fellow human beings, the grind of homophobia drains you drop by drop. Unless the tongue mill can be stopped, you too are going to wear thin. Whilst I still breathe, I shall be crushing those cockroaches underfoot

35. Unlike other slang words he refers to, gay denigrates a class of person. In a schools and youth context that is terrible. Yes, people don’t immediately use it as meaning homosexual, but when gay is ALSO the most common form of bullying speech, then there is f*****g big problem. This guy is a homophobe and an idiot. I’ll never forget Living Marxism’s attempts to portray the fascists in Setbia who slaughtered Muslims as victims.

Brendan, free speech in a free country means that it’s our business if we seek to protect vulnerable young people. Enjoy your comfortable Daily Telegraph cheques while others put themselves out on behalf of a better society, something you used to care about.

36. There would be uproar if he said the ‘N’ word was ok to use,& to stop being sensitive! The black people should know all about prejudice ,but it thier nations who are the leaders of the So called Christian attack on Lgbt people! They are no more christian than Bin Laden was & the Same applies to those insane morons in the U.S who call themselves Christians! I have never heard anything said about The Lord Jesus spreading Hate! only love! These So called Christians will have to answer one day for taking Gods word in Vain!

1. Spanner1960 21 Nov 2013, 3:28pm

Why not? You are even too scared to type the word for fear of accusations.
      Common use of the word dis-empowers it. As I once pointed out to someone, the concatenation of a British person is a Brit, which is something nobody would take offence to, yet you do the same to a Pakistani, and the term “P*ki” is considered verboten. (This website refuses even to accept it)
      Words only have power if you perceive them to be powerful.

1. Yes, but that’s because ‘Brit’ would seldom come before a fist smashing into your face, isn’t that so?

You mean contraction, not concatenation, by the way.

37. Brendan O’Neill is so sixteen year old boy with a cheesy moustache.

38. Youths often use the N word to greet and demean each other these days. Would this cough-journalist-cough, say that the N word should be accepted by society in much the same way, because… it’s just how our youths talk?

1. Spanner1960 21 Nov 2013, 3:26pm

Why not? You are even too scared to type the word for fear of accusations.
      Common use of the word dis-empowers it. As I once pointed out to someone, the concatenation of a British person is a Brit, which is something nobody would take offence to, yet you do the same to a Pakistani, and the term “Paki” is considered verboten. Words only have power if you perceive them to be powerful.

39. Dr Drummond 20 Nov 2013, 9:12am

Brendan’s comments are unhelpful in educating young people about prejudice. Also, do future employers really want young workers using terms such as “that’s so gay” in the work-place? It is un-professional language and should be discouraged.

40. I’m actually sick of adults treating young people like idiots who know no better!!! This is why bullying is allowed to escalate to suicide ffs.

Let’s not say ‘they’re young – what can you do?!’, let’s say ‘you have a responsibility to behave in a way that doesn’t make anyone else feel like s**t’. They will get it. Let’s treat them like free thinking individuals & young adults for a change, they will then begin to behave like it. Then t**ts like this will get a dressing down, by the very people he’s treating like morons.

Phew, rant over.

41. Marc LEEMING 20 Nov 2013, 10:08am

We hijacked the word gay, we created a new meaning for the word. English is a dynamic language it changes and adapts so well. Should we not adapt and choose a new term for inclusive self-identification. Let’s call ourselves niggers, or spiks or maybe pikeys after all these words are no longer used they appear to available. Of course we could equally well defend our right to self-definition using the word GAY and defend the right of other groups not to be identified by society in a derogatory way.
    Thanks Daily Telegraph for stoking the fire and encouraging the undercurrent of QUEER hatred. Queer, perhaps that’s the next term we can embrace and leave Gay behind.

42. Tom Bendall 20 Nov 2013, 11:18am

I totally agree with the princple behind Stonewall’s campaign – but O’Neill’s right, it’s a losing battle. Crusading against percieved homophobia by kids who, while poorly educated in the matter don’t actually have anything against gay people, distracts from the issues of actual homophobic abuse, fuelled by proper hatred.

43. http://www.leftfootforward.org/2013/05/dont-feed-the-troll-the-five-stupidest-brendan-oneill-articles/

‘To call Brendan O’Neill a professional contrarian would be to elevate him to the status of something he isn’t. Brendan O’Neill is a troll. A professional troll, but a troll nonetheless. The Brendan O’ Neill formula is a simple but effective one: work out what any reasonably decent human being would think about an issue and write the opposite’. In other words he is just like a paid whore for his right-wing masters and gives them complete satisfaction for money they pay him.

44. http://unemployedhack.wordpress.com/tag/brendan-oneill/

Any of this getting through to the Pink News Editorial staff?
    “It’s a nasty trend that sees columnists paid to share their ill-informed views – sometimes with intent to cause offense – while investigative journalism falls by the wayside and real journalists struggle to find freelance or staff jobs”.

45. Youth culture does not exist separately from the rest of culture, and it is not ‘natural’ (i.e. you cannot just say that ‘x’ happens and it is beyond question). There was all sorts of slang that my peers used that I didn’t agree with, so I didn’t use it. It’s not a losing battle until you actually surrender.

46. As soon as I know that I’m not allowed to say a word, an immature part of me wants to shout it out, I don’t think we’ll get anywhere ‘banning’ words as it would be difficult to enforce in school, and impossible outside of it. Children are told from a young age that they aren’t allowed to swear, but as soon as they aren’t around adults, many swear profusely, because it’s ‘forbidden’. I’m not saying don’t tell kids how stupid and offensive it is, just that educating them about homosexuality would be much more effective than saying ‘YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PUSH THE BIG RED BUTTON’, which will probably just push them in the other direction.

47. Yer man, the baldy fella 20 Nov 2013, 3:39pm

‘Brendan O’Neill’ now means ‘homophobic tosser’. Get over it, Brendan.

48. Tom Cotner 20 Nov 2013, 3:48pm

This guy is a nutso — I wonder if he thinks that the “n” word is no longer a derogatory term for a black person, but simply means “rubbish”! I don’t think he’d get any sort of happy return from a black person in that regard.
    I’m gay. I am not rubbish. Mr. O’Neill is sadly mistaken – and has no business being a news reporter if he judges people in this manner.

49. Paul Halsall 20 Nov 2013, 3:56pm

Perhaps he should be aware since his boss is gay (Damian Thompson).

50. ..this is were the politics become heated–everyone seems to be turning their attention to equal marriage, crikey, we should be paying attention firstly to educating people on how to treat Gay people respectfully. It appears so even when getting a load of rubbish heterosexuals they automatically think anyone Gay ought to be treated like a second rate citizen…EDUCATION must be exacted…in schools…

51. Brendan, thanks for the clarification that gay actually means lame or rubbish. Accordingly, I am sure you will not be concerned or offended as we all begin to tell all your readers that you’re a gay (lame) journalist, this story is gay (rubbish) and your style of dress is gay (lame), that your social interactions are so gay (lame). Obviously, being publically, recognisied as ‘gay” by everyone will have no impact on your career or social interactions.

52. Too bad for us, but that’s how it is. Kind of like the way some of you say “twink” to mean somebody who’s unacceptable in some way… someone who’s very intelligent and sensitive and beautiful and kind of defines “gay”, and gets labeled as “worthless” because of the way he looks. It’s just the negative, and who’s more negative than a rejected homo?

Whatever the straight kids are doing with the word ‘gay’ is just ‘straight’ — and who of us has every really understood ‘straight’?

53. I accept that words change, and I believe they should change. I also accept that some words rely on their links to imagery and stereotype for their descriptive power. Calling someone a “dick” for example, is a negative/insult. It equates a negative behaviour to a set of genitals. Does it upset me, as an owner of a dick, to see some unpleasant person called one? No of course not, because half the people on the planet have one too so it’s hardly any reflection on me. Not so if you called them “retarded” or “gay”. The link is then to a disadvangated, misunderstood minority generally in need of protection from the majority, which means it is much more personal to an individual of those characteristics hearing it. It has the potential to cause individual damage for that reason, in a way that “dick” and similar terms don’t. In a school environment, the damage is far worse. So yes, of course there needs to be a campaign against it, and hiding behind “words change” misses the point entirely.

1. The thing is, we’re NOT disadvantaged — we’re totally within the human spectrum and norm — straights are defining themselves as male by negating anything that isn’t — including women. What puts them up to this? Showing off to girls…? Isn’t that the same as some of us posturing with baseball caps and slang when trying to attract the attention of sub-thirties? It’s not a sign problem, a linguistic problem — it’s a problem of self-identity. People know who’s using ‘gay’ as a put down, kids know that they’re one-step removed from being called ‘gay’. All negation serves a purpose, defines ourselves as not something. There’s lots of things I don’t want to be. Maybe not being gay, for one thing. Or, better, maybe not being afraid of people seeing I’m gay. Sticks and stones… or, when haven’t I sometimes said, “dumb jocks”…

54. Brendan O’Neil would perhaps comment on the traditional inference that “Irish” (as the O’Neil name might be) was once used as a derogatory term to mean “idiot”. Should the whole of Ireland “get over it”?

1. Christopher Coleman 20 Nov 2013, 6:15pm

They probably laughed their way over it. Let’s not forget the Irish have a very well developed sense of humour and, as someone once wrote (forget whom), a sense of humour is the ability to laugh at oneself.

I recall that at some point in the 1970s Islington attempted to outlaw Irish jokes, because they were offensive. The borough’s Irish residents considered this to be a rather foolish Council decision.

55. Christopher Coleman 20 Nov 2013, 6:08pm

Gosh! I did not know the Telegraph is a “gay” paper and has been for many years. I’ve no idea who this O’Neill fellow is, as I do not read “rubbish” newspapers.

1. Spanner1960 21 Nov 2013, 3:18pm

You are missing out on probably the best newspaper in the UK then.
      It does admittedly have a right wing bias, but then all papers lean one way or another. Most people are intelligent enough to recognise this fact and read between the lines, instead of simply dismissing them as “rubbish” because som journalists opinion differs fro yours.

1. Christopher Coleman 21 Nov 2013, 5:01pm

The Telegraph may satisfy on the local level, but at the time I used to read it there were far too many factual errors in stories about foreign places. I recognized the errors, because I knew those places. That kind of thing undermines confidence in the rest of the reporting, bias apart.

56. BARRY WILLIAM TESKE 20 Nov 2013, 8:24pm

So if Brendan O’Neill’s right then man all I can say is…he is so gay! (“rubbish, or pathetic, or lame.”)
    Whew…that’s better.
    I do believe the debate is over.
    How “ironic”. (People think it means: Any kind of amusing coincidence. Actually means: An outcome that is the opposite of what you’d expect.)
    Good to know Brendan O’Neill’s “enormity” becomes him. (People think it means: Enormous. Actually means: Outrageous or heinous on a grand scale.)

1. The upperclass would never use these slang terms in a public social setting. What’s the point of teaching it’s wrong to say ‘gay’ as a put-down, and right to say ‘winner’ as a build-up? Anyone with an IQ over 140 is going to use language to craft reality, and the rest are just going to learn not to say ‘gay’ to avoid being slapped-losing their job-getting beat up by angry homos.

I used the phrase “my faggot soul” in a pretty good poem, and got attacked for using a forbidden term. I used the term in irony, knowing anyone gay would understand, to beat up on retard straights. Maybe the straight guys are using gay ‘ironically’ too — as in when girls say, ‘let the honeymooners be alone together’ about guys who are friendly.

It’s axiomatic that straight guys are semi-verbal to the point of autism. How do we know they actually know the concept gender exists beyond the self-image ‘have a dick/don’t have one’?

retards.

1. It’s axiomatic that straight guys are semi-verbal to the point of autism.

Wow, let’s promote stereotypes then. So you need a taste for cock to rise above being “semi-verbal”? Surprising amount of evidence to the contrary, in my experience.

57. Eleanor Wallis 21 Nov 2013, 11:28am

Okay, if that’s the case, how about we start using “Brendan O’neill” as a synonym for total moron. Oh, it’s okay, he can’t be offended-it’s just what it means now! It isn’t anything to do with him!

58. soapbubblequeen 22 Nov 2013, 7:26pm

The Daily Torygraph – no more needs to be said really. The home of the wretched Norman “Psycho” Teb(Bates) and his ilk, like Mr O’Nelly. Oh well, hopefully soon we can organize a “Norman death “party – ding dong!

59. From turkey Trot to loopy libertarian in three easy steps. Altogether now…it’s jump to the right! Put your hands on your hips and pull your knees in tight! It’s the pelvic thrust, it really drives you insane!!! Let’s do the time warp again!

60. There is not much I can add to the comments here: as some others have pointed out, Brendan O’Neill has a shameful history in the utterly discredited Revolutionary Communist Party cult, before lurching to the far right, or “loopy libertarian” as Craig so rightly characterises it. He hates most things secular, democratic and liberal, but he hates gay people perhaps more than anything else, certainly judging by his regular screeds in the Daily Telegraph: itself a vicious opponent of LGBT civil rights.

The most surprising thing though is that the usually centre-left street paper “The Big Issue” permits O’Neill an occasional column where he has more of his pops against minorities. A dark stain on an otherwise reputable publication. Given that so many LGBT people are interested in issues of housing and homelessness, and buy street sold papers, perhaps it is time for “The Big Issue” to seek an alternative columnist for its magazine.

61. Tania Caliendo 4 Dec 2013, 7:59am

“A 14-year-old Essex boy bullied for being gay fatally overdosed on prescription drugs he had stored at school, an inquest has heard. Ayden Keenan-Olsen was found dead in his bed by his father in Colchester on 14 March. The teenager left two suicide notes outlining the homophobic and racist bullying he had experienced.”Pink News 15/11/2013.

The mother of the 14 year old gay boy who died tragically from suicide must despair more reading blogs like this written by a man whose personal experience of discrimination is from a perspective of privilege, even if working class, white male. Perhaps one day a lawyer will take the Dept of Education to court for failing to prevent gay suicides linked to homophobic bullying in school. As a teen 34 years ago, I was bullied for being a lesbian, so don’t say ‘gay’ just become a derogatory word due to a change in meaning..it always was derogatory in the mouth of a frightened heterosexual.