Christian Concern: Stonewall need to help us place anti-gay bus adverts on London’s buses

1. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Nov 2013, 2:29pm

Vile, delusional loon. I’m surprised we’re not getting a report on the debate which took place yesterday.

Meanwhile, I’ve learned that Yvette Cooper is asking the Government why the long delay in announcing the date for the first same-sex marriages to begin in England and Wales. Apparently, thousands of couples are making plans to marry and need a definitive date so they can proceed.

1. Peter & Michael 14 Nov 2013, 5:22pm

From what information we have is that England and Wales are awaiting legislation for Scotland. We are waiting patiently too for marriage.

2. We don’t wish to get into bed you you love your vile and flu lot hate towards our community.

If your case was legal and string enough you wouldn’t need to request help from anywhere.

Can you not spent some time and money helping people in real need instead of wasting money and court time on your own selfish needs.lee

3. The pro-gay ads say “being gay is ok”. A level playing field WOULDN’T say “being gay is not ok” they would say “being straight is ok.” Which you can see – every time you see an advert with a straight couple (which VASTLY outnumber gay adds out there).

Only christians would a think a “level playing field” means they should get to attack us

1. I love your comment. So right.

2. Not only are their ads negative, they’re promoting a “therapy” which is actually harmful.

1. Exactly – they should be banned on the grounds that they’re inaccurate and harmful as much as anything. We wouldn’t allow an advert encouraging diabetics to eat lots of mars bars

3. I don’t agree with you 100%, Sparky: I’m a practising Christian and I disagree TOTALLY with “Christian” Concern’s bigoted opinions; however I agree will all you’ve said, except the bit “Only christians would . . . ”
      Some Christians (and I count myself among them) have taken the trouble to open our bibles, read what scripture actually says IN CONTEXT, and opened our minds to God. So please don’t imagine that we’re all ignorant fundamentalists.

1. Spare me the “not all Christians are…” which we always get. No, not all Christians are bigoted – but the vast majority of Christian denominations are: Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, a plethora of other protestant denominations – and if Christians would rather we didn’t view the religion as a hostile and dangerous force opposing us then rather than come to us with the whole “not all Christians are bigots” it would be better if they worked on the majority who are bigots or who are happily to tolerate bigotry

Or to put it another way – I don’t think all Christians are ignorant fundamentalists. But nor do I think “ignorant fundamentalists” are the only bigots in your faith. Homophobia is a MAINSTREAM Christian position – to pretend only ignorant fundamentalists are homophobes is to deny the amount of bigotry the vast majority of denominations support and encourage

4. Frank Boulton 16 Nov 2013, 2:31pm

Stonewall’s ads didn’t even say “Being gay is OK…” They said “Some people are gay…” Anyone, who thinks that a statement about biological facts are offensive, needs to get a grip on reality. If Christian Concern wanted to place ads, which said, “Some people are Christian. Get over it.” there would be little cause for objection. If a group of people wanted to advertise a de-Christianisation therapy, that would be on a par with promoting anti-gay cures. There’s obviously a double standard at work here.

4. They always play the victim card. What they don’t get is that they choose to have a belief or faith. No one forces them to do that. And no one is threatening their belief system. What they don’t get is that they don’t have a right to force that belief system on others. The Stomewall message is about inclusiveness, and support and acceptance of others. The CC want a message of hate, divisiveness and intolerance. If they wanted a message saying being Christian is o.k., get over it. That would be find. No one would stop them. But they want to spread hatred which is not acceptable.

5. Christopher in Canada 14 Nov 2013, 2:49pm

When did Sarah Palin move to Britain?

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 14 Nov 2013, 9:17pm

Sarah Palin’s ghost is moving all around the world. Be aware of this plague- fight it with our brothers and sisters pride and power !

6. Delusional as she is jaudiced

1. john lyttle 14 Nov 2013, 3:23pm

It isn’t jaundice. That’s the colour you turn when you bathe in the blood of the Lamb.

1. John Benton 14 Nov 2013, 4:13pm

Gobbledegook

7. Paula Thomas 14 Nov 2013, 2:52pm

It is amazing isn’t it? Christian victim playing yet again. The minute they don’t get their own way they find a way to convince themselves that they are the victim. No the millions they have killed and the even larger number of people whose lives have be ruined by their idiotic and vile ideology are the victims here.

8. OK that’s it where does this Vile Bitch live – I wanna go round her house and slap the superstition outta her -

1. Pink News needs to remove this piece of sexist and threatening misogynistic rubbish

9. Jock S. Trap 14 Nov 2013, 3:00pm

She is seriously deluded.

Her ads promote harm to others just as they believe is right for Christian Concern. Such damaging ads surely have no place in a decent society, esp know that suggested ‘therapies’ are dangerous and damaging to society.

Yet again this is about Christianity and control over society which is never best for any society…. we only have to look at the Middle East for that!

10. Francis Gallant 14 Nov 2013, 3:08pm

What gets-my-goat is when the words “God’s teachings” are used. Could you please specify the date and time when you heard God’s teachings. I have always heard the words come from a human beings mouth.

1. Dave North 14 Nov 2013, 3:25pm

“God’s Teachings” clearly state:

1 Timothy 2:12 – But I permit not a woman to teach, nor to have authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Very convenient for her to ignore that one.

1. She, like so many nut jobs of her ilk, have selective minds and memories. Seriously, they need psychiatric help to get over their self-delusional mania.

11. Odious bitch says: “The Stonewall advertisement was highly offensive to fundamentalist Christians and other religious groups whose religious belief is that homosexuality is contrary to God’s teachings.”

So what about the hatred preached by this nutter and her friends, is that not highly offensive? And the spurious claim that the babble is god’s teaching, I’d like to see her evidence for that!

12. andrea, my hero, is right :)

1. I’m sure your “God” is always right too, JohnB. Though why we’re even having this discussion if that’s the case is a question that’ll remain unanswered, I fear.

1. @Rehan: my God is God whoever wishes to acknowledge this, and is always right!

seeing the derogatory comments against this brave and decent lady I feel justified making my terse comment.

re. discussion, personally I have no objection to Stonewall’s advert but equally feel the same about the Core advert. I understand mayor Boris position – the former challenges homophobia and the latter reinforces it. I just don’t agree and for the sake of British fair play it seems a good solution to allow both and let the people decide (clearly there will be those who take offence at either – but in the interests of free speech providing it is not inciting hatred or breaking the law then we should allow both adverts.

In the light of the perfectly decent Core director that had his psychology credentials removed becoz he believed people can change their sexual orientation, I am inclined to side with the Christian Institute / Concern & Core position of challenging these things through the courts.

1. Being a bigot is neither brave nor decent. Hiding that bigotry under the guise of religious belief is actually quite cowardly.

2. @JohnB, There’s just as much evidence for god as there is for the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus yet you don’t hear of children discriminating against others for being different let alone trying to justify it. If the Core Advert can put an anti-gay advert on buses then why not let a White Supremacist group put or anti-Semitic anti-Black posters up or an Islamist Fundamentalist group put anti-anyone-isn’t-Muslim poster up? That would certainly level the playing field, no?

That Core director deserved to have his psychology credentials removed and he was far from decent. Why? BECAUSE THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE THAT GAY CONVERSION THERAPY WORKS. Do I need to spell it out for you? It does not work, never has and never will. It’s a crackpot nonsense! And it will get banned. Quit playing the victim card because you’ll never know how it is to be discriminated against and treated as a second class citizen. Christians have got away with this crap for far too long… Good day to you sir.

3. my God is God whoever wishes to acknowledge this, and is always right!

There, there.

*pats hand*

4. Jock S. Trap 15 Nov 2013, 6:50am

People can no more change their sexual orientation than change the colour of their eyes.

Like Core/Christian Concern (The coloured contact lens, if you will) we can pretend and cover it up (something religion does very well!)

Unlike Core/Christian Concern the most a contact lens will do badly is cause an infection. If you think trying to change someone, just because you and your fans discriminate again it, doesn’t harmful.. it is Very much so and in quite a few cases is the cause of too many suicides then clearly that is what you and you vile religion stands for and it turn You support.

That my dear is the religion sponsored destruction of humanity that religion itself blames all others it disagrees with, for.

5. Frank Boulton 16 Nov 2013, 3:05pm

Wow, JohnB, thank you for bringing yet another divine paradox to our attention. As you convey to us the words of your deity, I notice that God, despite his supramundane omniscience, displays a remarkable lack of knowledge concerning English grammar, spelling and punctuation.

1. I’m certain Frank that when it comes to grammar etc. the Almighty is perfect in this as in every other matter. Yours truly, on the other hand, isn’t, despite trying hard to improve. Any help you can afford as to how one might improve will be appreciated – starting with commas, one of my bug bears :-)

6. Sorry – are you for real JohnB? Are you SERIOUSLY defending a ‘belief’? Like if I believed in the bible and started advocating the burning of witches, you’d approve? Or slavery? Both of which the bible condones? Or are you another ‘selective’ delusional believer – picking and choosing the bits from that old book which support your bigotry? I can only assume you have some real issues of self-hate about being gay for you to adopt this self-persecutory view of life. Try and see yourself as an OK guy and not as a ‘sinner’ who you believe displeases an imaginary sky fairy. You’ll feel a lot better about yourself if you do …..

2. Who’s the bigger fool, the fool or the fool who believes them?

3. wow – as I write 40 don’t likes and rising – not quite Stonewall bigot of the year of the realm but this will do – I must be doing something right :)

seriously though – I’m not posting in order to antagonise and I’m sure if my 40 detractors were to meet we would find much in common – but there is another side and if I or the likes of Andrea doesn’t say it then who?

1. Are you saying that spouting mumbo-jumbo means you’ve gone over to The Other Side?

1. Seriously rehan if you knew the stick i get from my fundie friends you wouldnt say that. My position is to want to understand all perspectives but especially gods one. Let me have an email and i will send my gay conundrum paper.

1. What odd friends you must have. Although I have seen your interchanges with the ever-lovely Iris in the past, I’m afraid I find your contention that you want to understand all perspectives rather hard to believe in light of your declaration that Mrs Williams (I imagine she must be a Mrs) is your heroine.

2. What kind of straight man browses gay news sites and has a “gay conundrum paper”??? Does your “wife” know about this?

2. @Rehan: the offer is there still – I haven’t developed my blog yet but I’m happy to let you have the paper, not becoz I want to convert you (although that will be nice) but the subjects raised are complex and can’t be given justice in readers comments. The issues are important enough for me to want to understand the various perspectives and try to make sense of these as I believe it has important consequences whatever our views. Whether we admit it or not, we all base our thoughts on the axioms we hold (right and wrong) and while mine happens to be an orthodox understanding of Christian theology, I realise and respect others that see it differently. As incredible as it might seem to Mr Pink, I browse gay new sites (actually mainly this one) in order to see other points of views and have learnt a lot and even modified my own views as a result. While I imagine some readers will see us as poles apart in our views, we have more in common than they may think – and yes Iris is ever-lovely!

1. Thank you JohnB, but I’m afraid you’d be wasting your time – we wouldn’t be playing on a level playing field, since I simply cannot believe anyone could take ancient scriptures so seriously as to allow their lives to be determined by them – a feeling hugely magnified by a (wonderful) recent trip to Israel, where the colossal levels of bollocks surrounding the various superstitions, and the accidental nature of so much of it, has transformed me from a fairly easy-going atheist into a militant one.

2. Rehan: I’m glad you had a wonderful trip to Israel. It seems an age now when as a young backpacker I travelled all around and also found it wonderful despite the tensions in the Middle East that is always near. I loved the natural and archeological sites but was mainly disappointed at the religious one.

I respect your not wanting to pursue a dialogue and won’t inflict what I wrote other than say if you really want to know what I believe and why then read it. It is true that I am influenced by a belief that the scriptures are the Word of God but all of us, whether or not religious have beliefs that influence us. Which ones are right if of course the big question.

Shalom

2. ns..well John your comment makes me say that. Why are you here? Why are you posting on this particular bored? What is the need you have to argue with people you know will not agree with you?is it your question desire to shove your ideas in other people’s faces is that what does it?take pride in those now 51 Thumbs down.surely you can use some of the measurement of how effectively you’re spreading your viewpoint. Now just for a moment perhaps you’d like to explain why the quotes from Timothy about women keeping their mouths shut shouldn’t apply to this one? I mean you’re not choosing which parts of the Bible you want to listen to are you?

1. @philipem: these days I read Pink News to find out what is happening about important issues I might not necessary know about. I want to know what people think who will likely see things differently. That is something we can all benefit from. I tend to not comment these days becoz I do not wish to antagonise.
          So you may well ask why now on a subject that is not at the heart of what we should be debating? Frankly, I am appalled and angry to see derogatory comments (vile, delusional loon in first comment received 43 likes) toward a good person who deserves praise even though I do not agree on everything. Even if we don’t agree with someone, we should try to respect and understand them . If you care to check out, you will find she also speaks on many other social justice issues, some you may agree on.

re. the Timothy comment, it applied mainly in a church context and as it happens I don’t support the idea of women priests and this text gives a reason why.

1. @JohnB

I have said this before, and I will say it again.

Stop hurting your self with your ‘Perverse Ex-gay pride’

Also, it is about time you started repenting of your misogyny concerning the ascendancy of women to the priesthood.

3. @JohnB

Your posts are unpopular because we do not support you rather ‘Perverse Ex-gay pride’

The sooner you stop hurting your self, and others around you with this delusion, the happier you will be

1. Hi JohnK, nice to hear from you after so long – no delusion on my part and as for happiness for me it is a matter of making peace with my maker – hope you are well :)

13. Michelle-Louise 14 Nov 2013, 3:21pm

Is she crackers or what?

Listen love, stop using your so-called Christianity as a basis to hate the LGBT Community. You’re about as Christian as the Ayatollah Khomeini. And didn’t Christ himself say: “Thou shalt love thy fellow man (or woman).”

1. Michelle-Louise darling – what makes you think I hate the LGBT community? – there are a number of folk in that community who I have a good relation with, better than some in the Christian community in fact.

Christianity should not be the basis of hating any group, rather if truly followed the contrary.

“Love thy neighbour as thyself” is the basis of the Jewish law and endorsed by Christ himself (as you point out) and who is our neighbour was answered in the parable of the Good Samaritan i.e. to include anyone from any group that happens to be antipathetic to our own.

Andrea is one of the most non crackers persons I’ve ever come across!

1. ‘Christian Concern’, which Andrea represents, is a well known ‘Extremist and rather militant fundamentalist’ group

‘Crackers’ . . . is what they do extremely well !!!

14. john lyttle 14 Nov 2013, 3:22pm

Is it just me or is Andrea kind of butch but desperately trying to seem kind of femme?

1. She strikes me as yet another ‘self-hater’, desperately struggling with the internalised conflict between her religious upbringing and her same-sex attraction. The bigger the homophope, the bigger the closet case.

2. I presume Andrea Minichiello Williams is ex-gay herself otherwise why does she want to promote ex-gay pride on the side of buses.

I’ve never heard of an ex-gay pride march, has there ever been one? I’m just wondering if there are any proud genuine ex-gays out there.

15. I was going to wonder how this absurd woman ever became a barrister, but actually she’d probably do rather well at the scuzzier end of that profession – she can twist and cherry-pick anything to come out, ostensibly, in her favour.

1. Andrea Minichiello Williams is a non-practising barista
      (buh-REE-stuh; from the Italian for “bartender”) a person, usually a coffee-house employee, who prepares and serves espresso-based coffee drinks. The coffee she served was always full of grit.

16. New Headline: Stonewall asks Christian Concern for a level playing field, and to plaster Being Gay is Okay, all over Christian Concern’s website.

17. Totally out of her tree .. as stupid a suggestion as asking the National Front to promote racial equality.

18. John Benton 14 Nov 2013, 4:10pm

I’d like to see the scientific proof that gay people can be made straight without causing permanent mental or emotional harm to the subject. I have a suspicion that such a thing is 1. impossible, and 2. undesirable.

19. “A level playing field” you mean like the level playing field you vile people have been giving to gays for centuries?

20. Sexuality is a fact. Religion is not. Advertisements that do not reflect that will be against legal standards and descriptions and as such they cannot place their ads as they break those laws. Stonewall’s and the Humanist Society’s do not break any laws, theirs do. Simple as that. I’m neither gay, cis nor Christian but ‘even I’ can see that.

21. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Nov 2013, 4:16pm

If anyone feels like tweeting her, the hashtag is @A_Minichiello. I’ve sent her a couple to annoy the hell out of her.

1. Thanks, Robert. I have sent her a jolly tweet using Dave North’s quote (above).

22. She can’t be a real person. I mean really.

23. “THAT’S TYRANNY, IT’S A LIBERAL TYRANNY”
    (Andrea Minichiello Williams)

Too funny!

24. They’re offended by Stonewall’s pro gay adverts because they go against their beliefs. We’re offended by their beliefs because they deny our rights as human beings. And that’s the difference. This is how we ARE, this is what you BELIEVE.

I just cannot get over the hypocrisy of saying they deserve equality in regards to advertisment… so they can continue to deny ours.

25. My first thought after reading this was did I drink the contents of the little blue vial with the ribbed sides (Laudanum), did I take the red or the blue capsule, how deep does the rabbit hole go??
    They still don’t know the difference between fact and fiction, Science and knowledge a complete mystery in their alternate reality.
    Equating fairy stories (however deeply you believe them, however thorough the indoctrination) with reality, is the issue. Whether you are allowed to spread hate, nonsense, intolerance and down-right lies in public advertising.
    I still find it shocking that some people can be so ignorant and stupid, when someone comes along like this character, its like getting yanked back to the16th century for a brief moment. Hateful, delusional, vile, mendacious and ignorant, egregious individual.
    Persecuting gay people for the last 17 centuries is enough.

The truth is out, some people ARE gay, just get over it.
    Mmmm sounds like a new poster!

26. And Black rights groups should be helping the KKK to advertise racism,
    And Jewish organisations should be helping neo-nazi’s to advertise anti semitiism,
    And Women should be helping fundamentaist muslims to advertise misogyny.

The stupidity and unashamed bigotry of this vile Woman and christian concern is laughably unbelievable.

1. “”Women should be helping fundamentaist muslims to advertise misogyny.””

Sadly this one is happening right now. and christians are not free from this affliction either.

27. Not all Christians are dominionist’s but all dominionist’s call themselves Christians.

How fundamentalist Christians like Andrea Minichiello Williams intend to use the idea of religious freedom to deny religious freedom to others.

Gary North…
    “So let us be blunt about it: We must use the doctrine of religious liberty …until we train up a generation of people who know that there is no religious neutrality, no neutral law, no neutral education, and no neutral civil government. Then they will get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God.”

That’s tyranny.

28. Oh, the hilarity. What support for LGBT equal rights, services and wellbeing do groups like Christian Concern ever show in the interest of a “level playing field”? Williams has a ridiculously overblown definition of ‘tyranny’ as well.

29. Tim Hanafin 14 Nov 2013, 4:45pm

Mad Cow Disease is still rife among the evangelicals I see

30. Christopher Coleman 14 Nov 2013, 4:46pm

Best way to level the field is to have the buses run over Christian Concern until their organization is pancake flat.

31. Ex-gay is not an orientation.

Ex-gay is a dangerous fraud, practised by greedy, uncaring individuals on very vulnerable people, and it causes lasting, clear harm.

As such, “ex-gay” enjoys no protection in anti-discrimination law and should be rejected by everyone who cares about the well-being of others.

1. Drew Payne 14 Nov 2013, 4:56pm

I agree. I lived through it and it is not “Okay”.

2. Robert in S. Kensington 14 Nov 2013, 5:16pm

It’s also about scamming vulnerable insecure people for their money too. Take money out of the equation and they wouldn’t be able to peddle the ‘dope’. It’s big business in America apparently.

3. What if anything does the Bible say about ex-gays?
      Is Andrea Minichiello Williams an ex-gay herself?
      If she is not ex-gay herself, why does she want to place messages on the sides of buses promoting ex-gay pride?
      Are any of the people who want to promote ex-gay therapy ex-gay themselves?… if not do they even have a horse in this race?
      Stonewall at least is an organisation representing gay issues and was attempting to positively address anti-gay bullying with their bus message.
      Are there ex-gay bars and clubs where ex-gays go to socialise?
      When same sex marriage is finally introduced will that mean that a couple of ex-gays of the same sex could marry?
      Would that be called an ex-gay marriage?
      Will churches be able to conduct the marriages of same sex ex-gay couples?
      I’m sorry if I sound confused but I don’t know any ex-gays and I’ve never even met one, I’m not convinced genuine ex-gay people exist.

1. Frank Boulton 16 Nov 2013, 3:26pm

I knew an ex-gay, when I was at university. He’s an ex-ex-gay now. He’s much happier for it; that is he’s happier being ex-ex-gay and not ex-gay.

32. I suspect this person is in love with her own image and “celebrity status”.

Anyway, she just doesn’t seem to get it, does she – that having religious objections to the according of equal dignity and respect to homosexual citizens is a symptom of mental ill-health, of religious delusions.

Someone put this person into a straitjacket, or onto a trolley, and wheel her away for urgent remedial treatment!

:-)

33. Drew Payne 14 Nov 2013, 4:54pm

A fourteen carat gold example of unbelievable hypocrisy! This woman can look north and south at the same time.

34. is it a game, then?

35. When I read articles like this it reinforces my impression of the god botherers being beyond parody. A “level playing field? Does Christian Concern campaign for secular causes? Or Satanists? Of course not. Stonewall’s (albeit erratic) mission is to campaign for equality and interests of LGBT people. Their argument boils down to their wanting to dress up bigotry as religious freedom.

1. “Remember when we are to have discussions, what we need to accord with one another is: grace, kindness, and level playing-fields.” is laughable coming from a group of people whose venom, cruelty and historical position of privilege means that these criteria have never applied to them. The example is given of “a teaching assistant – who she claimed was facing potential disciplinary action for posting a YouTube video of themselves conducting street preaching against same-sex marriage.” Had this teaching assistant been preaching against interracial marriage because of a passionately held belief in white supremacy, would anyone take seriously the claim that this is a person who is suitable to teach children? Probably not. Yet how is that poisonous ideology less worthy of respect than the hatred speed by the Evangelicals?

1. It’s because the christian religion is still ‘establishd’ in UK law. They’ve demanded and received ‘deference’ since before Henry V111. Religion MUST be disestablished. It’s totally laughable that a ‘self-delusion’ still holds such sway in our society.

36. The Halcyon 14 Nov 2013, 5:19pm

How is advertising on public transport in defense of religious freedom? Faith is a personal matter and nobody is advocating the forced closure of religious buildings and shrines. Nobody is saying people cannot pay homage to their supreme being(s). Nobody is saying that prayer and meditation should be surpressed. And the fact that there is a culture of “institutional Christianity” proves there isn’t a level playing field as its heavily skewed towards the Christian faith?

What do I mean by “Institutional Christianity”? Examples include crucifixes and other religious icons worn as jewellery, public and school holidays based around the Christian Calendar, Christian terminology in geographical references. Lords Spiritual in the House of Lords (and voting on temporal matters…). Churches being exempt from taxation. On British coinage, the display of F.D (Defender of the Faith).

I know she’s clearly an unthinking fool but really, portraying herself and her like-minded friends as victims is just futile and proves how baseless their arguments are.

37. Christian concern , my ass, where’s the concern for Christians persecuted in muslim countries/impoverished etc . ,if I was vulnerable enough to be a Christian, I would be offended at their use of Christian as a defence mechanism for hate. I’m shocked there is no outrage from the supposed moderate Christians over christin concern .

1. You’re off topic again and reverting back to your preferred subject, Islam aren’t you…

38. Her and her kind are too ridiculous for me to bother commenting on the content of their idiotic thoughts, however, I will say she has that ‘fake’ American ‘perfect skin, teeth and hair’ thing going on. She also has the same ‘dead behind the eyes’ look as sported by that other moron-in-chief Michelle Bachmann, in fact they could be clones of each other…

39. Is there any tradition of ex-gayness? isn’t ex-gayness a very new invention without tradition or history.
    Conservative Christians are so against anything that is non-traditional, so it seems to me very odd that any conservative Christian group would be promoting such a novel thing as ex-gayness, does anyone agree?

40. Romans 1:26-27: “For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence [sic] of their error which was meet.”

“…the persons involved in the orgy were former Christians, and were heterosexual. Romans 1 condemns them because they went against their nature — their heterosexual orientation — and engaged in same-gender sexual behavior. By the same reasoning, lesbians and gays who went against their fundamental nature — their homosexual orientation — and engaged in opposite-gender sexual behavior would also be sinning.”

1. Frank Boulton 16 Nov 2013, 3:46pm

It’s about double standards. When one of these bigots is attracted to someone, they like to call it “love”. It’s so easy for them to call other people’s attractions “lust”

41. Xavier, NZ 14 Nov 2013, 7:59pm

What a ridiculous waste of time and money, the woman is clearly ‘deranged’ and in need of ‘therapy’. Perhaps she will be able to bankrupt her sponsors, by such actions and opinions.

Why wait, come and get married ‘now’ in beautiful New Zealand, and have your honeymoon here. You only need 2 days in country before your wedding takes place.

42. John in Toronto Canada 14 Nov 2013, 8:36pm

Lady, what I think you should do to yourself won’t be posted if I type it here, but it involves a rusty chainsaw and your lower anatomy.

43. Promoting a harmful process (which has been proved to induce severe depression and self harm often leading to suicide) the claims for efficacy has been shown to be fallacious and untrue, a solution to a problem which not only does not exist, (except in the minds of the religiously deluded),but the claimed solution causes real harm to real people.
    Why would any reputable publisher take an advert which could get them in court for promoting a deception and a demonstrable harm.
    Harming someone or advocating a practice known to cause harm gets no exemption from legal recourse because you believe in a god.( although it may get you locked up in a mental institution for the criminally insane ).
    I look forward to a judge telling them to take a hike and awarding costs against them for a vexatious case.

44. Come on, we all know she’s a lunatic, and listening to her nonsensical ramblings proves it.
    I would love for someone to look into her credentials, because she seems incapable of expressing an intelligent view with any basic ability, so I very much doubt she has anything to back up her (self-appointed) positions.

She’s basically created a couple of fanatical Christian groups and appointed herself as head of them to give her some credibility, and it seems to have worked too.

The moment this woman starts talking it’s clear that she probably marvels at fire.

45. Guglielmo Marinaro 14 Nov 2013, 9:44pm

Sorry, I don’t get it. I just don’t get it. Why does this strange woman think that Stonewall should assist “Christians” in implicitly advertising an unnecessary, useless and potentially harmful “therapy” for a non-illness?

1. Helge Vladimir Tiller 14 Nov 2013, 10:33pm

Sorry -G. Marinaro ! I was about to press thumb up, but the picture “moved” so I hit the wrong spot- Love from Norway-I agree with you !

46. Perhaps Stonewall could help out by placing an ad that says:
    ‘Some People Are Bigots And Need To Get Over It’
    ?
    Or how bout:
    ‘Whatever You Think The Bible Says About Gay People Says more About Your Own Prejudices Than It Does About The Word Of God’

47. Too many Christians, not enough lions!

1. I think I’d give a lion indigestion!
      ;)

48. almosgt invaraibaly people like her are gay themselves , sad fact , otherwise why would she care or even be thinking about it?

1. Frank Boulton 16 Nov 2013, 3:57pm

Why do we insist on denigrating ourselves by claiming these people as our own. We should only acknowledge them as members of the LGBTI communities, when they’re OUT and PROUD!

1. You are missing the point. Her attacks on gay people are caused by her suppressed homosexuality. This is the root cause of ALL homophobia. I don’t think anyone wants to ‘claim’ her. We are just pointing out the abject hypocrisy of her stance.

49. she is probably gay herslef ,most people who are anti gay are otherwise why would they care or even be interested?

1. I imagine Andrea must be a closet ex-gay, it would help explain why she’s so desperate to advertise ex-gay pride on the side of buses but doesn’t admit to being ex-gay herself, although has anyone even asked her? I don’t think she ever said she wasn’t ex-gay
      Perhaps she’s successfully repressed her same sex “urges” for the time being.

2. Well sussed, Chris. I think you are EXACTLY correct! We should constantly ask … why is ANY homophobe bothered? It’s totally because they have their own ‘issues’ which they can’t handle, so they react by projecting their self-hatred outwardly.

50. There is nothing Christian about being anti-gay.

51. This kind of logic would dictate that anti-racism charities should be helping the BNP and EDL.

As much as I try and understand all points of view, when reading attitudes like this I genuinely feel these people have been abused mentally by religiously indoctrinated bigotry. It is the only logical answer as to why these people cannot show empathy and understanding beyond their faith.

While I personally have no interest in religion, I in no way tar all of faith with the same brush. Yet sadly it seems there are still a large enough number who are deluded enough that we do need the likes of Stonewall to campaign against their bigotry and the damaging effects of said bigotry.

52. Waiting for this bitch to get a serious kick in the face.

53. My view on this subject is based on freedom of religion. On the subject of religion we’re allowed to believe what we will, worship how we will and live out lives based on these beliefs. That’s the way it should be for all of us individually. Governments in the free world don’t have that luxury as they have to deal with people from a multitude of religions and variations of them. They can’t profess to claim one religion is better than the other because they are violating another person’s freedom of religion when they do so. Many Christians feel that homosexuality and transsexuality is wrong on a religious basis and will do what they can to fight acceptance of them as natural.

I’m a Christian but understand there are scientific explanations as to why both of these are natural orientations/identities so I don’t have any problems with them. With this in mind I can look at the bible and the passages in question and see that they are misinterpreted to mean something not intended by the writers or written for a problem within a culture that no longer exists. I can believe that and live my life according to my faith as that is my right. To be told by the government or a business, on the behalf of any religion, that my religions beliefs are wrong is a violation of my rights and, as such, the anti-gay bus signs had to go.

Now the response by gay activists isn’t based on any religious beliefs. It may contradict the religious beliefs of others but is not an attack on them. It simply says “Some people are gay. Get over it!” and is a cleverly worded request for acceptance and nothing more. So, to sum up my argument, we have a religious organization who wants to preach their own brand of religion verses a group of individuals who are frequently discriminated against and are asking for acceptance. I can’t see how these can ever be on the same playing field.

1. Dear Teresa. If I told you you are self-delusional for believing in things like talking snakes, women made from a man’s rib, parting oceans and people coming back from the dead, would you think me heartless for pointing out how pathetic your belief is? OR would you accept that I am entitled to my ‘belief’? The problem with ‘belief’ is ‘believers’ ‘believe’ they are right and everyone else is wrong. Consequently, they try to convince ‘non-believers’ to change their lives. Why can’t you and your fellow ‘believers’ just keep your ‘beliefs’ to yourself? You’d be happier for not having your silly and delusional (in my opinion) ‘belief’ challenged. The rest of the ‘non-believing’ world could just get on with our ‘non-believing’ lives. Simples!

54. ns. I I think it is a stretch sort of like the stretch you need to bridge the Grand Canyon, to find equality in these two positions.and leveling the playing field is about equality. So I suggest two levels this Plainfield you might need say a 90 degree tilt.

55. Frank Boulton 16 Nov 2013, 4:08pm

I hope that PN never banishes these fundamentalist and evangelical bigots. They provide us with endless hours of laughter. Andrea is the most hilarious thing since the duck-billed platypus.

56. Created Gay 17 Nov 2013, 2:42pm

When I read this article, I was entertained to find that Washington Adventist University, a university owned and operated by the largely homophobic Seventh-day Adventist Church, had several advertisements on the page. I was left wondering if they were advertising to homophobic readers or to gay people.