US: Former Michigan lawyer fired for harassing gay student sues state for ‘wrongful termination’

1. Tim Hanafin 8 Nov 2013, 5:25pm

Dream on bigot.

2. Christopher in Canada 8 Nov 2013, 5:33pm

What’s truly baffling is how, in his mind, he thinks he has done nothing wrong. We can talk about his being a dumb as a post, but he still is a product of the modern age and educational system. What happened?

1. Fundamentalist religion, in a nutshell. I’d lay good odds.

3. Gene in L.A. 8 Nov 2013, 5:42pm

I wish the article had said more about the grounds on which he’s basing his suit. As it stands it’s pretty non-specific.

4. Websites and swastikas? Good luck with that lawsuit. You’ll need it

5. Some details missing here: what exactly was the job Shirvell lost, was it at the University of Michigan? Why was he harassing a student?

1. Oh no he was an assistant district attorney for the state and the university was his alma mater. Why he is harassing the student is anyone’s guess but I think he has a secret crush in him and is so frustrated that he hasn’t got the balls to come out because of his whacky religious beliefs. The guy is clearly not straight.

1. Never mind whether he’s “straight” or not (he seems quite crooked to me, but let that pass), he does seem more than a little unhinged. What funny self-obsessed worlds some people inhabit …

2. Michigan state assistant attorney general. A public servant.

1. Who was also using his office computer to harass the student. I think he also lost his license to practice law, but I’m not sure about that part — he should have.

Just to give you an idea of where Shirvell is coming from, he’s a graduate of Ave Maria Law School. The name should tell you something.

6. Pardon my language, but “F**K” that noise”! Public abuse, online harrassment, all well documented, and he thinks he deserves to be acquitted and “rewarded” with monetary compensation and his old job?!?! I hope he winds up under a dropped load of bricks at a construction site!

7. BlokeToys 8 Nov 2013, 6:24pm

He’s clearly a mentally defective religious fanatic, and he does not deserve such a position of trust.

He cannot possibly work in the public interest, unbiased and to the law while also expressing violent homophobic opinions and acting criminally himself.

This guy should be on watch lists as an extremist, and this court case should be thrown out without so much as a look.

The guy is a loon, he should be ignored, but watched for a long time to make sure he’s not making pipe bombs.

8. What really shocks me is that this moronic religious nut job ever got a job working in the State Attorneys office as a lawyer in the first place. The fact he was not sacked earlier than he was also says more than enough about his then boss!
    Gross Unprofessional conduct is way to light a reason for his sacking, good luck with your frivolous lawsuit bigot.

9. Frivolous lawsuit, cynically disconnected from any semblance of reality.

10. Richard the Big Bunny 8 Nov 2013, 9:02pm

I saw an interview with this guy and I genuinely thought he seemed a bit unhinged — the sort that might show up with a gun in a fit of madness after he doesn’t get his way (and he won’t). Let’s hope I’m wrong! Although my ‘nutterdar’ is rather good … :-)

11. The most troubling part of this story is the college student who was the target of all this attention. Imagine yourself around age 20 (or 17 as I was a freshman) being subjected to a stalker like this who represents the government in a prosecutorial position! This is not some subjective Government Big Brother spying on you but Big Government trying to destroy you as an individual, attacking you with apparently no provocation. I don’t know that I would have been able to withstand the pressure in what was essentially a Goliath vs. David encounter.

1. Jon (Malaysia) 9 Nov 2013, 3:38pm

This is the the reality I endured as well. Just because I lived I was wrong, evil. I was also 17 or close. And long before that. The fact that I existed was only allowed by the macho image I presented. I was good enough to survive. Must be because I am still alive. Stalkers, phonies, fake gays, rapists, etc. Well I am still alive and my wrinkles are well won. 62 is long enough I guess.

12. He should be more sensitive to imposing discrimination upon others for being different.

13. What if it was a case of Anti-Semitism?

14. Ignorant bloody bigoted twit.

15. Some people have no shame. What a disgusting human being.

16. This guy have mental issues. It’s one thing to be a bigot, but this is something else. An obsession for lack of better words. I would not be surprised if he’s got issues with his own sexual orientation

17. Sounds like SOMEONE has a crush…

18. Is this guy serious!! What an Idiot!!