Study: Gay and straight men have different face shapes, and gay men are more masculine

1. Derek Williams 7 Nov 2013, 6:04pm

Let’s be content with trying to achieve equality. This kind of thing doesn’t help.

1. Rani Bakr 7 Nov 2013, 6:34pm

What kind of thing? Science?

1. It isn’t a very scientific study, deciding what is “more masculine looking” is highly subjective, it’s as subjective as deciding what is “more beautiful looking”.
        Nobody really knows what beauty is but it makes itself very obvious to the person who perceives it, meanwhile one man’s meat is another man’s poison.

1. Yes, experiencing masculinities is subjective for each participant. However, when commonalities (and differences) exist between the subjective experience of the collective we find inter-subjective commonalities can lead to probable generalisations. To throw the baby out of the bathwater on the basis of subjectivity (present in the natural, as well as social sciences) is to fail to grasp the complexity of the task, and is ignorant of some significant findings……I am afraid your argument appeals to the extremely basic doctrine: subjectivity/bad, objectivity/good, and there are very few (if any) examples of ‘purely objective’ science.

1. To ” throw the baby out with the bathwater” is actually how the saying goes.
            I say throw this load of pseudo-scientific codswallop out in it’s entirety, I wonder who’s funding such trivial research? maybe it’s the Saudi’s hoping to install gay facial recognition technology at airports to stop anyone gay from entering.

2. I am extremely wary of “science” like this. For one thing the samples used are so tiny that it is probably meaningless.

The other thing to remember is that things like impressions of masculinity change over the years and asking people of one hundred years ago the same question would produce very different results (if it were possible). Whereas men’s faces would not have evolved in that time.

In Rubens day beautiful feminine women were fat, today they are like stick insects.

If what they had found were true what would be their explanation for it as far as evolution was concerned? There would have to be an evolutionary factor for favouring more masculine faces for men that didn’t generally procreate. That would raise all sorts of very difficult questions.

2. Except it points to a biological cause of male same-sex attraction, which does help

1. It does. Make no mistake once it is proven categorically that people’s sexuality isn’t a free and willing ‘choice’ then the remaining homophobes and biphobes will have no ‘defence’ for what they spout. I personally have been debating with ‘Right-wing’ people about this subject and those who do take account of the scientific evidence aren’t homophobic or biphobic. There is no logical reason why the ‘Right-wing’ in politics can’t be as equally supportive (if not more so) of gay rights once the fact that sexual orientation is not a choice becomes more proved and known about in society. Any more scientific proof of can only be good and helpful in combating homophobia and biphobia especially with regard to ‘Right-wingers’.

1. Further to my last post, of course there will be some on the ‘Right’ of politics and even a few on the ‘Left’ that will still cling to religious reasons to be homophobic or biphobic but I think these people are gradually becoming fewer in number. If you look at the subject in a scientific way then rationality and logic will come to the fore.

2. Christopher in Canada 7 Nov 2013, 7:44pm

Meanwhile, all those Diana Ross and Cher drag queens are making up in front of thousands of mirrors for tonight’s performances…

I can honestly say that in Toronto, there is definitely a similarity in facial features among the “bear” and leather set, and that’s beyond goatees or moustaches and brush cuts. I’ve often thought they all look like biological brothers!

As for the rest, there is a wide range of faces, from the regular guy-nest-door to the GQ model. The only look we HAVEN’T seen, really, is the redneck, WWE wrestler/hetero bpdy builder/truck driver type. But, all mens faces widen as they age – it’s called jowls! Keep breathing, and it will happen!

Me? I grew up on a farm in backwoods Northern Ontario, am an actor, and have been looking at faces all my life, both in the country and in the gay ghettos of all North America’s major cities.

1. Funny!!!

3. Absolute utter tosh.

4. floridahank 7 Nov 2013, 9:03pm

Did they also try to get some sort of profile about how people walk? Very comical research project — wonder where they got their funding?

5. What a lot of utter codswallop. What IS this obsession with trying to define one’s predominant choice of sexual partner as the defining aspect of one’s existence and attempting to link it to everything else? Brain size, length of fingers and now certain facial characteristics. What an idiocy to call certain face shapes ‘more masculine’! That’s culturally-defined, not a fact – but the researchers clearly don’t understand enough about science to even recognise the innate prejudices and biases of the very parameters they’re using.

1. “That’s culturally-defined, not a fact – but the researchers clearly don’t understand enough about science to even recognise the innate prejudices and biases of the very parameters they’re using.”

Culturally defined – yes. But since they were testing it within one and the same cultural consensus, it can be legitimate. They have found that a set of characteristics which a culture links to masculinity dominates among gay men.

2. Helge Vladimir Tiller 10 Nov 2013, 11:30am

ALICE, I simply LOVE Your comment. LOVE from Norway ! A wonderful autumn to you !

6. James Campbell 7 Nov 2013, 11:46pm

Very poor reporting as the text poses more questions than gives answers. What was the size if the sample? What was the ethnicity of the subjects (there are many morphological differences between different ethnic groups)? As a research scientist (into brain function) I am not convinced that this research data is applicable outside the group tested. It also risks being seen (by some) as supporting stereotypes.

7. From what I read, in the first study (which measured the facial characteristics) researchers examined only 40 gay and 40 straight men. The second study (that the gay men had more masculine characteristics) consisted of 33 gay and 33 men in their early 20s. Forty female and forty male students were asked to rate them for orientation on a scale 1-7. Frankly, the samples were woefully small and they consisted of white Czech men. I don’t think the study would pass muster in a proper scientific journal.

1. Not a valid comment. Please review ANOVA and power.

8. Mark Cross 8 Nov 2013, 4:16am

Eugenics lives!

1. Danny in Russia 8 Nov 2013, 8:10am

Emotions shouldn’t impede reason and science. Just because you don’t like the fact that gay and straight men COULD be phonologically different doesn’t mean we should ignore such a possibility.

1. Phonologically?!

9. World known and respected university of Prague.

To the editor do you know impressionalble people read this site? It should just be about money with the amount of ads you have all over the place.

shame on all of you

10. Could they make an iPhone app? I’d love to snap a few violently homophobic men. I think we ALL know into which category they’d fall ….

11. I must share these findings with my straight identical twin brother…

1. That;s torn it!
      Great debunking there VP

1. .
        Oops, I meant, “That’s torn it!”

12. Robert in S. Kensington 8 Nov 2013, 5:28pm

I’ve been seeing a lot more than masculine faces lately in the Coalition Government!

13. This study is not about gay and straight men but how people perceive them. There is a difference.

1. It may have started out as research to show that peoples perceptions are wrong but it definitely turned into a report claiming gay men look more masculine than straight, according to the reporting. Of course it may have been misrepresented by the media.

A sample of 40 or 33 men may have been enough to research the original aim but is nowhere near enough to prove the latter announcement.

14. “Little gay masculine looking boy / So gay and masculine I can barely say it with my less masculine straight face looking boy”.

15. PeterinSydney 10 Nov 2013, 9:02am

And all Jews are supposed to have big noses. What a load of old cobblers !!!!!!!!!!!

16. Helge Vladimir Tiller 10 Nov 2013, 10:49am

The Czech Republic has a common border with Germany. NOT WITH NAZI GERMANY ! Work for Gay Rights-don’t waste resources on theatrical “science” !

17. Helge Vladimir Tiller 10 Nov 2013, 10:53am

“So, gay men are more masculine”- I,m gay and pretty effeminate. Oh, happy me—Oh, Happy Day !

18. Helge Vladimir Tiller 10 Nov 2013, 12:00pm

AND : My look contradict these “facts”- Oh, happy day ! I’m an exception. Thumbs up ! I’m unique, and so we are, all of us, dear beautiful LGBTQ-sisters and brothers. What will happen to me if I move to another culture, with other standards ? I’d better stay here -in Europe ! Working for Gay Rights. A lot of important tasks are waiting for us—

19. Christopher Coleman 10 Nov 2013, 6:16pm

Academic institutions are running out of real research problems. A good thing, as they might now be able to concentrate on education.

20. And what about bisexual faces? What a load of rubbish.

21. Across the normal distribution curve there will be an average “appearance”. If we choose to take samples from the normal distribution then there will be differences. If I looked at the physical appearance of bus drivers for instance, they would differ from the norm. Should I conclude then, that a certain physical appearance will predispose me to becoming a bus driver?