Russian conductor Valery Gergiev denies supporting anti-gay laws ahead of London protest

1. Valery Gergiev is a lying fascist pig.

The LSO are collaborating with fascism if they continue their association with Gergiev.

I hope there are protests inside and outside the theatre.

Extremists like Gergiev are not welcome in Britain.

1. Alex Verney-Elliott 7 Nov 2013, 4:45pm

Valery Gergiev is a third rate conductor and the LSO is a third rate orchestra; Gergiev recorded terribly loud fascist performances of Strauss’s Elektra and Mahler’s Symphonies on the LSO’s naff CD label; Gergiev is a charlatan and a homophobe and fascist thug conductor so has a lot in common with fascist homophobe thug leader Putin!

2. Yes, well, you would say that now, wouldn’t you Me Gergiev?

It’s a pity you didn’t realise you have “too busy a schedule to explore this matter in detail” before exhibiting your ignorance of the distinction between homosexuality and paedophilia in the context of the new Russian laws, isn’t it? Sometimes it’s best to shut up and concentrate only on what you’re good at.

3. BlokeToys 7 Nov 2013, 2:35pm

He’s desperate to distance himself from his previous statement, but it’s out there for all to see. We can read what he stated, and his opinions and views are on record as being not only bigoted, but wholly unintelligable too. The man is a bigot, a homophobe and a nonsensical tw@ who deserves to be criticized and his opinions exposed.

He can deny it all he likes, but the man is a hateful bigot and we have every right to protest him, his country, his appearance in the UK and whatever else too.

I hope it’s a big turn out, even though I cannot attend myself. I would love to be there to witness the discomfort the protest delivers to him and his audience. I hope it makes the Barbican think twice about the people they invite to perform, and makes the LSO consider the names they entangle themselves with as fellow performers.

If I were in their shoes, I would not want my good name associated to Russian bigots like him.

4. As another hysterical gay idiot can I add my voice to those saying this man is a lying fascist pig.

PS I believe everything I read on Pink News, and never question anything.

1. And particularly impressive that you feel moved, one might say obliged, to post a comment.

5. What’s that noise? The sound of cages rattling? It’s amazing how someone’s views on morality go right out the window when their income and reputation are threatened. The LSO should make this vile bigot resign … or sack him for bringing the orchestra into disrepute.

6. Alex Verney-Elliott 7 Nov 2013, 4:43pm

1. You might not particularly like Gergiev as a conductor, but to refer to the LSO as a “third-rate” orchestra only exposes your own rather-too-evident third-rateness. You clearly know little about and care less for live classical music.

1. Alex Verney-Elliott 8 Nov 2013, 7:02am

On the contrary, I have been going to classical music concerts since 1977 and I care very much about orchestral standards; I heard Celibidache conduct the LSO at the Royal Festival Hall in 1979 when it was still a great orchestra and he gave them a grilling of hours and hours of rehearsal time which resulted in great orchestral playing which mesmerized the audience; I have the Radio 3 ‘live’ broadcasts on CD as proof of how better the LSO was then to what it is like now, which is absolutely awful, with a hard string tone, brash brass and coarse percussion playing; and the LSO (like the Philharmonia) often plays out of tune and out of sync. You may be younger than me and so just accept the LSO’s ‘third-rateness’ (as audiences today tend to be uncritical and supinely accept low standards of orchestral playing and conducting). The BBC SO is also third rate now and not what is was under Boulez in the 1970s (just like the Philharmonia today is not what it was under Klemperer in the 1960s).

1. Wow, talk about pretentious.
          The LSO are a great orchestra, and DESPITE his lack of moral fibre in things pertaining to human rights, Valery Gergiev is a great conductor.
          Of course, I don’t have a collection of a bunch of CDs to support my opinion.
          Does a graduate degree in music count?

1. Alex Verney-Elliott 8 Nov 2013, 9:07am

If you use your ears for empirical evidence you will ‘hear’ that the LSO are NOT a great orchestra: Try listening to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Boston Symphony Orchestra, the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, the Vienna Philharmonic, the Berlin Philharmonic, the Concertgebouw Orchestra, the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and the Dresden State Orchestra if you really want to ‘hear’ great orchestras: Why are your ears so uncritical? You don’t need a degree in music to know that the LSO is a third rate orchestra, you just need your ears! I have heard Valery Gergiev many times in concert and he is certainly not a great conductor; Gergiev cannot conduct Stravinsky, Strauss and Mahler just to begin with! Have you ever even heard truly great conductors like Toscanini, Cantelli, Kleiber, Klemperer, Reiner, Monteux, Horenstein, Ancerl, Fricsay, Kubelik, Markevitch, Boulez, Harnoncourt? Please do try and listen with a critical and sensitive ear and you will ‘hear’ what I am saying.

2. Oh dear, another one who bewails the lost excellence of The Past: a characteristic that’s existed since the second generation of cult conductors emerged. If you heard Toscanini conduct you are indeed quite considerably older than I am, and I will take your word for his greatness – obviously you wouldn’t compare a recording with live performances.

While it’s true orchestras – all orchestras – have their periods of greatness in cycles, you might like to consider whether, rather than being ‘uncritical’, other listeners are simply not mired in nostalgia as you appear to be. We are also more fortunate, since we aren’t incapable of finding orchestras first-rate except in old recordings.

3. Alex Verney-Elliott 9 Nov 2013, 7:27am

Rehan: So you do admit that I am “another one who bewails the lost excellence of The Past” and thus I am not alone in my opinions? Though I am not interested in the ‘cult conductors’ which emerged with Beecham, Karajan and Bernstein. Many of Toscanini’s recordings are taken from live concerts and even though they are very old, you actually hear much more detail in the orchestra because he balanced the players so well so you could hear everything. I am “not mired in nostalgia” just in admiring great conductors of the past and saddened by tenth rate conductors today like Rattle and Gergiev that have uncritically acquired a ‘cult conductor’ following despite the brute fact that they cannot objectively read a musical score. But I do admire some conductors today who are first rate like: Abbado, Boulez, Blomstedt, Harnoncourt, Segerstam, Skrowaczewski, Temirkanov, Comissiona, and Zinman.

4. Oh heavens no Alex, you’re certainly not alone: it’s as big, and apparently unavoidable, a gay cliché as the camp adoration of Callas.

You do realise you have unwittingly admitted the critical role of engineering by expressing your appreciation of old recordings, don’t you?

I’d have thought you’d agree that the role of cult conductor began with Nikisch and Richter.

5. Alex Verney-Elliott 11 Nov 2013, 5:34pm

Rehan: I don’t agree that the cult of the conductor began with Nikisch and Richter but rather when commercial and television recording began with Bernstein and Karjan; Stokowski and Beecham were cultistic and Toscanini was turned into a cult as was Klemperer, yet Toscanini and Klemperer were very cynical of the cult of the conductor as you know. I agree about the gay-cult of Callas. The camp adoration of Callas is indeed a gay cliché just as us loving Bassey, who has a very good voice and I admire her but I know it is camp and profoundly petty-bourgeois of me to love Bassey (and Garland) but maybe I am petty-bourgeois; I also really love Inge Borkh who is a gay cult icon.

I have never been anti-engineering and the early recordings I have are usually transferred with limited interference as possible and some DECCA and Mercury recordings of the 1950s and 1960s are far superior to recordings today (in classical music). I have enjoyed our debate and we do have more in common! Thank you.

7. Alex Verney-Elliott 7 Nov 2013, 5:24pm

Tatchell was wrong to say that Gergiev is a great conductor. Valery Gergiev is a third rate conductor and the LSO is a third rate orchestra; Gergiev recorded terribly loud and grotesquely fascist performances of Strauss’s Elektra and Mahler’s Symphonies and when I heard him at the Barbican Hall he could not conduct Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring to save his life (for he had no understanding of the tempi and dynamics and so the performance just fell flat and fell apart!)

Gergiev is a charlatan and a homophobe and fascist thug conductor and so he has a lot in common with fascist homophobe thug leader Putin! The LSO must sack Gergiev and the Barbican Hall must ban Gergiev.

8. “This law is not about homosexuality, it targets paedophilia. But I have too busy a schedule to explore this matter in detail.””

Actually no, this is in effect an anti-gay law that targets homosexuals and does nothing to address the problem of paedophilia, it causes confusion by turning gay people into scapegoats while genuine paedophile’s are thus provided with a smokescreen to continue abusing children.

9. Considering that you’re calling somebody names like fascist pig, I don’t think any of you are in any position in calling Gergiev a bigot. Rupert Christiansen hits the nail on the head, Gergiev has never actually said that he is against gays and he is definitely the wrong target for this anti-gay rights campaign, kind of like a pawn if you will. And his statement seems sincere enough to me, and Christiansen and Facebook seem to think so. And the protests before his concerts are starting to get ridiculous and it’s rude and selfish as well, it spoils it for people who paid good money to hear amazing music performed by a great orchestra and conducted by one of the best conductors today. And for anybody who argues that it didn’t happen during concert, it didn’t for most but for his conducting of Eugene Onegin and The Nose at the Metropolitan Opera Besides I am not going to judge him by his politics or personality, all that matters to me is how good he is at his job.

1. Sorry I meant that when he conducted Eugene Onegin and The Nose at the Met apparently he was heckled and jeered at, so there have been instances where his work and people’s evenings have been interrupted.

10. And that he’s done it for over thirty years is testament to that. Maybe he is not a subte conductor(then again neither was Kurt Masur) but he is a conductor who brings the emotion out of every piece he conducts and feels it, with him he has amazing musicality and sense of line and this is an example of a conductor who does much more using your hands with a baton. With the campaign I understand why but not the timing and who it’s aimed at. And I do not think it’s succeeding at its objective or whether there’s a hidden agenda. If people are forcing people to not listen to Gergiev’s work or hate his guts, that is wrong and it’s just as wrong to say that he should be banned from countries.

11. Instead, he should be allowed as a musician to get on with his job without anybody sticking their noses in regardless of his beliefs. If he did say what he’s been accused of it was a clumsy and insensitive thing to say and was best kept to himself but to immediately call him homophobic is a stretch, especially as homosexuality was frowned upon in Russia and for a time death-penalty worthy long before Putin came on the scene. And Gergiev may be a Putin supporter, but maybe he doesn’t agree with all that Putin(who I do not support in any shape or form) is enforcing but- although he is a powerful man- maybe he is not THAT powerful to stand up to him. Those who are trying to get Gergiev to condemn Putin’s law seem to be ignorant of that, life in Russia is more complicated than people seem to realise, I may not be Russian but three of my friends are and have given me a good idea. In his statement too Gergiev says things like the whole no discriminating thing that Putin would never say.

12. And he should be allowed, without anybody sticking their noses in, to get on with his work regardless of his beliefs. If he did say what he has been accused of it was clumsy and insensitive and best kept to himself, but to immediately call homophobic is not entirely fair, especially as homosexuality was frowned upon and death-penalty worthy long before Putin came on the scene(three of my friends who are Russian say that Gergiev is far from the only person in Russia to think that). Gergiev may be a Putin supporter, but that doesn’t mean with all of what Putin does and while Gergiev is a powerful man considering how life in Russia is more complicated than people like to think maybe he is not THAT powerful to stand up to him in the risk of losing everything. And I am far from a Putin supporter myself but if anybody is that’s their business not mine and I won’t judge them for that, like I won’t for Gergiev and will still him as a great musician.