IOC President tells UN: ‘I oppose any type of boycott of the Winter Olympics’

1. What a truly nonsensical statement by Bach.

Thomas Bach is a homophobic pig.

2. What exactly did anyone expect him to say?

3. As if they were going to do anything. Hello how many millions of dollars do they make? oh I forgot it’s all about the Sport!

4. Paula Thomas 7 Nov 2013, 12:01pm

So he would have opposed the sporting boycott of South Africa that brought down appatheid? Says it all really!!

5. Every time I read comments from this man and others in the IOC I am amazed at just how hypocritical these freaks are.
    He claims that a boycott goes against the inclusive nature of the Olympic spirit, while supporting a country with Putin’s Nazi goon squads torturing, assaulting and abusing LGBT people!

These toffs are so out of touch and so ignorant they can’t even hear their own hypocrisy.

I’ll be boycotting the Olympics, I’ll be boycotting those who broadcast it, I’ll be boycotting the sponsors, and I’ll have absolutely zero respect for any athlete who sells their soul to perform for the new Fuhrer.

I personally hope all those involved in this disgusting event in that dispicable country rot in hell.

6. Christopher in Canada 7 Nov 2013, 12:18pm

He’s opposing all the way to the bank.

7. Nope.
    The world already makes far too many allowances for sport. Footballers get away with the most disgusting remarks and behaviour because no-one wants to put the team at a disadvantage in the next game by suspending them. Highschool quaterbacks in the US get the same treatment. They get away with everything because of the ‘prestige’ they bring to the school by winning games.
    Sport should not enjoy any kind of immunity like this. Immunity from consequences for bad behaviour creates monsters.

8. In that case they won’t mind a few demonstrations in favour of LGBT equality? Don’t think so – do you? Just try it- and end up incarcerated in a Russian gaol – on trumped-up charges-like those Greenpeace activists. His attittude STINKS!

9. Robert in S. Kensington 7 Nov 2013, 12:24pm

Although I don’t wish any gay athlete harm of any kind, I hope something happens during the games to really nail the IOC and Putin’s fascist regime just to prove how wrong both are.

10. “We never accuse or exclude anyone”

They exclude GBLT people by refusing to stand up to bigotry. They say nice words – but it is only nice words. The law hasn’t changed, the law hasn’t been suspended, gay people continued to be persecuted in Russia – the IOC and the athletes at Sochi will play their games in the blood of gay people – but don’t expect any of them to care

11. LOL Just look at the history of the Olympics – there have been many boycotts FOR POLITICAL REASONS. Russia boycotted the Olympics in Los Angeles in 1984!
    Someone should remind him of this and how hypocritical he is.

12. Aryugaetu 7 Nov 2013, 1:50pm

Simple: Follow the money. Boycotts lead to advertisers pulling out (possibly for the next several Olympics), fewer tv networks being interested, which leads to him getting fewer payoffs. It’s always money, and they’ll sell their own grandmother for a few extra pounds/euros/rubles/dollars.

13. Robert Rowley 7 Nov 2013, 1:52pm

I so much as 1 Olympic athlete or 1 LGBT person is arrested or harassed by authorities in Sochi then Thomas Bach should be held both legally and financially responsible and be removed forcibly if necessary) from his position.

14. fuh fuh fuh fuh fuh.. I object to the company that pays my salary being boycotted because fuh fuh fuh fuh fuh I depend on them for my money fuh fuh fuh fuh fuh because my salary is far more important that silly human rights fuh fuh fuh fuh fuh

15. Bach and Merkel. No friends to Gays.

This seems to be STILL a German thing.

Considering the Pink Triangle history, you would think Germans would be world leaders, in pro-LGBT policy today.

16. Article 6 of The IOC’s ‘Fundamental Principles of Olympism’ says, “Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race, religion, politics, gender or otherwise is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic Movement”. So, a law which SPECIFICALLY makes gay people ‘outsiders’ and which seeks to marginalise them is not discrimination? This tosspot needs to read his organisation’s literature before he defends the staging of The Sochi Homophobic Games in Russia..

17. Jim Fields 7 Nov 2013, 7:04pm

dont know why any of us are surprised by the President of the IOC .. the IOC no matter who is in charge has been one of the leading homophobic org …by their own action they have excluded the gblt community .. the gay athletes who have been to the games know this .. I dont plan on watching the games .. I hope nbc has a ratings boom .. I keep thinking Munich all over again .. .. I hope all the athletes are safe and nothing happens

18. Derek Williams 19 Nov 2013, 11:10am

He does however support Russia stripping LGBT of its civil rights, to the extent of kicking gay athletes out of the Olympics if they complain.