Study: Straight men are ‘three times more likely’ to not believe in bisexuality

1. What a surprise :(

2. Jock S. Trap 6 Nov 2013, 11:34am

Yeah and I believe that denial is the biggest factor of this!

Denial of themselves!

3. The same study also says that “respondents who identified as gay or lesbian responded significantly less positively toward bisexuality than those identifying as bisexual, indicating that even within the sexual minority community, bisexuals face profound stigma.” Why wasn’t that reported by PInk News? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131105081521.htm

1. It was in this article ‘However, those who identified as gay or lesbian also responded significantly worse towards bisexuality than those identifying as bisexual.

4. Which is a coincidence, as “straight” men are also three times more likely to be found cottaging than gay men.

5. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Nov 2013, 12:20pm

Interesting though it puzzles me why so many hetero males love to watch two women in flagrante delicto and aren’t as homophobic towards lesbians as they are towards gay males in my personal experience. Like all studies of this nature, I doubt it if it could be called reliable, similar to ONS statistics on the number of gay people in the UK.

1. PantoHorse 6 Nov 2013, 12:28pm

You’d be surprised, Robert. In my experience straight men are terrible towards lesbians. Their love of watching two women getting it on is often based on the proviso that at some point a man (possible them, in their imaginations) can waltz into the action and ‘sort the girls out properly’. They’re OK if the women concerned are still available to them. Women who don’t display this availability, or say it outright how it is when approached by straight men asking for a show, to join in etc are subjected to all kinds of abuses. Lesbophobia is sadly alive and kicking up and down the country.

1. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Nov 2013, 2:59pm

You’re probably right. This was just my personal experience and interaction with hetero men that I’ve known over the years.

6. As a bisexual man I’ve found overall that gay men are more judgemental than any other group. They seem to be offended that you are not all their ‘side’ and are afraid it will make wider society discredit homosexuality but these people despite their brashness are insecure in their sexuality from what I can see. Ironically it’s mostly these same gay men who shout about gay rights and are very scene and sex obsessed.

Thankfully I’ve found decent, sane men in my life who just happen to be gay or bi and don’t devote their lives to everything related to being gay or bi sexual or camp.

7. Christopher in Canada 6 Nov 2013, 1:01pm

200 years ago, str8 men did not believe in female orgasm, 100 years ago, they only thought a female could orgasm if the male organ was present, and many women were diagnosed with “hysteria”. I wouldn’t give any creedence to anything any str8 man believed!

1. PantoHorse 6 Nov 2013, 1:19pm

Women were prescribed orgasms to combat hysteria in Victorian Britain to be administered by doctors using pretty much the first mechanical vibrators. Around the same time another medical professional was seeking to control female sexuality in a different way – by cutting out their clitori altogether so they felt no sexual pleasure whatsoever. Not so different to FGM today.

Control of women’s sexuality, desire and reproductive rights is so central to this issue of straight male insecurity that leads them to denounce bisexuality. They’re so centered on female sexual pleasure having by necessity something to do with male intervention of one sort or another.

1. PantoHorse 6 Nov 2013, 1:25pm

Bit off topic, but relevant to the discussions about straight male denial of bisexuality (in women at least):
        It was only in the mid-19th century that medical texts began to discuss the clitoris and its evident purpose. Doctors were as troubled by its location as by its possibilities; why was the clitoris located within easy reach of the average woman’s fingers but not inside the vagina, where it would be more easily stimulated during intercourse? The obvious conclusion — that women are designed to experience sexual pleasure without relying on a man –- was enormously threatening to the medical establishment (and plenty of ordinary men as well.)

1. Robert in S. Kensington 6 Nov 2013, 3:02pm

Interesting indeed. I suppose one could also draw a parallel conclusion that males because of their external genitalia are more often predisposed to masturbate without relying on women to stimulate them.

8. I’m sure i read somewhere that men are more likely to identify as gay or straight whereas many more women than men would identify themselves as on the bisexual continuum. Maybe this explains it somewhat.

1. Apparently, most bisexuals lean a bit one way or the other (not all – I don’t myself), and this lean is more noticeable in men. Women are more likely to be around the middle – maybe 60/40, but men are more likely to be 70/30 or even 80/20.
      I don’t know if that’s true, but it might explain why more bisexual men identify as straight or gay, while the women accept their bisexuality more easily.
      The very idea of a gender preference has always baffled me, so I doubt I could ever have been anything other than 50/50. But I can only speak for myself, of course.

1. Crap like this one of the reasons gay men resent SOME bisexual guys – this attitude of superiority, like bisexuality is some sort of higher evolution than the rest of us. Also, the tendency to assume that everyone is really bisexual or that there are alot of gay men who are really bisexual. Further, SOME bisexual men insist that they are “emotionally attracted” to women but prefer sex with men, which is just another way of saying that gay men are inferior and only good for slutting around. Finally, SOME bisexual activists insist that “biphobia” is worst than homophobia and that gays are just as “oppressive” as straights. Well, I question the use of the word “biphobia” because bisexuals can take advantage of heterosexual privilege that gays cannot – any true discrimination they suffer is due to social homophobia. Gays committing hate crimes against bisexuals – any tensions between the two groups goes both ways.

1. @etseq and you believe nothing you are saying in your post is offensive or ignorant?
          your denying that bisexual men or women have ways that they are discriminated against differently from their homosexual peers when obviously that in itself is discrimination your basically saying that anytime someone is hurt in a way that a homosexual person wasn’t hurt it doesn’t exist, they were never ridiculed or made fun of and all that stuff that hurt them that wouldn’t hurt you is just made up?

saying they only suffer due to homophobia is just ignorant of course youve never experienced biphobia your not bi. Have you ever experienced any other discriminatory remarks about another group of people other than what you are actually directed at yourself i doubt it if your doubting it exist just look at your own reaction in no way was what he said homophobic or him being superior its a truth alot of bi men are afraid to come out and be honest cause of people like you!

9. Supposedly straight men are ‘three times more likely’ to hide their bisexuality.

10. How ironic. Most men in the ancient world had sex with other men (and women, of course). So it’s not at all shocking that women like other women too. Unfortunately, culture has suppressed most people’s bisexual potential. See http://grero.com for the free book/audiobook!

1. Most men in the ancient world had sex with other men

‘Most’ men? There’s absolutely no way you can know that, and it’s extremely unlikely. Even within the context of pre-Christian Greece, men might have sex with other males – usually those of a different age and/or status – in certain quite limited situations only, which varied from culture to culture with the Hellenic world. For an adult male in most ancient Greek cultures to have sex or a relationship with another man of his own age and status was generally unusual enough to be remarked upon – though less so if either or both were married.

11. Maybe 15% of “straight” men are actually trying to deny their own bisexual feelings

12. As a bi guy I would not say the discrimination was worse with straight men than gay men. With a percentage of the straight male population discrimination was violent. With the gay male population it was often frustrating, hurtful, and psychologically violent. And ultimately I felt marginalized on both sides. Luckily bisexual women exist – I therefore have had a fulfilling love life. What is not understood by both gay and straight is 1) I have no control over who I am attracted to. And 2) my sexual feelings have fluctuated back and fourth over the years. Which means sometimes I have been more attracted to men other times more attracted to women. Sometimes equally. In otherwords it is not a choice for me either. Really the best I can do is direct my sexual feelings towards other bisexual people to avoid discrimination. And yes I too have more often been “emotionally” attracted to women than men but also had major crushes on men and pursued that head long as well.

13. I must add, I have had few great gay male friends. But unfortunately only a few. I wanted more, I still want more. Right now I am finding some as well as great trans and bisexual friends. It is deeply healing for me to find the community I could not find at 19.