US: Waiter receives anti-gay message on Christian couple’s bill – ‘Your fag choices made you lose out’

1. Shame they didn’t get food poisoning.

2. Evil bastards

3. Shame they didn’t reveal their antipathy towards their waiter earlier, then perhaps he could’ve stubbed his ‘fag’ of choice out on their main course and covered it with a sprig of parsley.
    Or perhaps poured the house red into their lap “by accident”.

1. Mumbo Jumbo 25 Oct 2013, 7:48pm

Maybe that wasn’t mayo on their chicken burger……

4. Anne Noise 25 Oct 2013, 6:35pm

I love the protective Mama Bear, especially in the south where we more often need to protect our own. What a sad, disgusting story.

5. Mihangel apYrs 25 Oct 2013, 6:40pm

not brave enough to insult him before he served them.

6. This really has my blood boiling. There is so much I love about the US but this kind of thing is really sickening.

1. Whenever I have discussions on Internet forums about homosexuality/bisexuality the most intolerant people are normally Americans. Needless to say when I mention that one of their most famous and proud boasts of being the ‘the land of the free and the home of the brave’ doesn’t seem to apply to gay/bisexual Americans it doesn’t go down too well!

1. “most intolerant people are normally Americans”

This is a strange comment to me. Maybe on internet forums you hear more about Americans because the internet is so widely accessible but IMO the most intolerant people are people like Ugandan government officials who condemn being gay and mostly do nothing about corrective rape and such like. Similarly, in Iran where they carry out public hangings of gay people. Not really in the same league.

2. Why do you believe that this is available only in the US? Seems to me that this nonsense can be found everywhere, including the UK.

1. Indeed it can be found all over the world, but when it comes to so-called “modern nations” the US is significantly behind the rest of the developed world.

America is an extremely divided country, because the culture is built on polarization from youth onward. Americans have an extreme “Alpha male” mentality drummed into youth, requiring them to support teams, encouraging brainless competition, egocentric nonsense, where sporting ability gets someone further than actual intellect.

Then you have a two party system to once again remind people that you’re either one thing or the other, pick a team.

Religious cultism in the US is also considerable, with almost a clear North/South divide too. Again, pick a team, either “with us, or against us” (in the words of Bush Jr)

America is a backward country, built on false pride and cheer leading for one team or another.

1. In this respect America is certainly a backward country and there are a few others. America has a huge number of devoted Bible bashers and that undoubtedly means those Americans really can’t grasp the fact that not everyone in this world can be put into that neat little box labelled 100% straight and that gays/bisexuals do have rights!

America should be far ahead of us on gay rights in some ways because they have no state religion and they are a Republic and therefore the concept of human equality should come more readily to them than us.

7. I’m curious to know how they knew what his ‘fag choices’ were. Was he having sex in front of them?

1. theotherone 26 Oct 2013, 12:28am

perhaps they felt his choice of brand of cigarets was wrong for him?

8. When will these people learn to live and let live. I can’t stand religion, it appears to me to be a delusional belief system based upon writings that are thousands of years old and irrelevant in modern society. That said I don’t go to gatherings, events and church’s making snide, abusive or offensive remarks.

1. the Devil = false ego

God = our true self

9. Some really screwed up people in this world

10. I think I’m going to become a christian. They are such loving, embracing, warm people ….
    I think I’m going to vomit.
    There cannot be an ‘all merciful, loving god’. If he/she existed surely they’d have smitten these revolting, disgusting bigots dead …?

1. Identify them, ban them from the restaurant, and get other local eateries to exclude them too. And tell the local media.

1. Sorry, I meant this to be on the main thread and not a reply to someone.

11. The receipt pictured is from a restaurant in San Jose.

Is this just a “stock” picture they were using?

I

1. Ben Foster 26 Oct 2013, 2:25am

more than likely PN is using a stock image. It takes nothing from the validity of the story.

1. Blown away by their own wall breaching device!

12. The picture shows a receipt from a restaurant in San Jose, CA http://www.yellowpages.com/san-jose-ca/mip/pizza-chicago-461723936?lid=461723936
    Note the phone number.
    Is this a “stock” photo they are using?

1. If they used the actual receipt, which would also have the customer’s name in the credit card information, they could be sued for libel. The note on the receipt was meant for his eyes, only, and to share the information on the web would be construed, in a court of law, as an act to belittle and embarrass the customer. American tort law is labyrinthine, at best, and often backfires on those who seek retribution. As it is, if the couple in question reads about it, there’s not a damned thing they’ll be able to do about it unless they come forward and admit to having done it.

Either way, they’re hoist on their own petard cause anyone who knows that couple will know exactly who the article is about, and word will get around about them, perhaps making their next visit to any other restaurant less than satisfying in the future.

13. Why does the receipt have a name of a restaurant in San Jose California?

14. The best thing to say to these bible bashers is if God hates ‘queers’/’fags’ and bisexuals then why the hell did he go to all that trouble of creating them along with hetreosexuals?

1. Bigots practice cognitive dissonance to imagine that reality is an alternate universe that affirms their prejudices and that this universe’s empirical evidence is fake or a conspiracy.

For example, bigots may presume not only that sexual orientation is always a choice a choice, but also that gay people en masse are inherently dishonest by saying it’s not a choice.

Cynical dogmatism means never having to say you’re sorry, or even ever having to treat the people they hate as if they’re actually human beings.

15. The best reply to these so-called ‘Christians’ is to say if God hates ‘queers’/’fags’ and bisexuals so much then why did he go to all that trouble of creating them along with all the hetreosexual people in the world? That doesn’t seem logical to me!

1. You’re talking about people who probably think “logic” is a satanic leftist conspiracy. More often than not, it’s no use trying to change their minds or appeal to their sense of logic or reason – they don’t believe in such things to begin with.

2. To people such as these there IS no ‘logic’ only ‘the word of god’

16. I hope the couple didn’t eat any food prohibited in the Bible or else they’d be hypocrites as well as bigots.

1. I was just thinking that … !

17. That There Other David 25 Oct 2013, 7:57pm

They’ll be named and shamed within a week, then all we’ll hear from them is how the poor dears are “receiving death threats” and being “persecuted for their beliefs”. Hopefully they’ll find they can’t actually eat out anymore.

I’m sure you’ll all join me in a good cry at the hurt they’re feeling.

1. Oh yes, that’s one of the hypocrisies of the right-wing American I love the most – they demand the right to discriminate against others, then bi*ch about being discriminated against themselves because of their discriminatory actions! lol

These people really are delusional, but they are some of the funniest people to debate with. It’s so easy to completely baffle them with logic ;)

18. Lisa Jones 25 Oct 2013, 8:13pm

Unbelievable. No, actually, quite believable coming from a narrow, smug, bigoted orthodoxy. That there should be such hatred in the world breaks my heart. These are the kind of people who would have supported Fascism in the 1930s. Have we not moved on AT ALL?????

19. This is probably just as fake as the other publicity stunt the black girl pulled, nothing more than a plea for attention.

20. It’s most heart-warming that the waiter has received so much support over this incident, including from ‘real’ Christians…while it’s painful to think of the waiter’s humiliation when it happened, the subsequent wide-spread condemnation of the behaviour of this smug, repulsive, self-righteous ‘Christian couple’ has exposed them and their ilk to ridicule and revulsion, further nails in the coffin of the narrow-minded bigotry they so mindlessly spout…..

21. Why do they write the word ‘God’ in capitals?
    Is there some kind of Caps Lock in their brain when it comes to their deity?
    “The might of ZEUS will defeat thee!”
    “Beware the power of ODIN, for he is great”.
    All seems a bit silly.

1. That There Other David 25 Oct 2013, 11:59pm

Their GOD must be an acronym. Genuinely Odious Delusion perhaps?

2. Pronounced “GAHHHD” no doubt.

22. I’m sure that next time they come in, their meal will be late, cold and not what they ordered. Of course, coupled with a witty note paraphrasing the original one.

23. Can we be aware that we cannot call them Christians! It’s exactly the same as calling all Muslims terrorists!
    It is incorrect!
    This couple claim to be “Christian” just like the afore-mentioned terrorists claim to be “Muslim”.
    They are both just bringing negativity to a religion that does not condone these vile people’s views!

1. Yes but they consider themselves christians as do the Westboro nutjobs. Personally, I hope they long continue to behave in vile ways. Thus, it will simply hasten the end of organized religion.

1. Well, it’s not exactly the same thing, is it?
        I could walk into any Mosque tomorrow and do a survey of who supports terrorism and I can guarantee that 100% of them would agree that it’s against Islam. But, I could walk into any packed church (good luck finding one) and ask them all their opinions on Gay equality and the results would be very different indeed.

It’s also not the same thing because these people influence our government far more than any Islamic extremist ever will. We have politicians who believe in their invisible sky wizard writing laws, making judgments, refusing science, on a daily basis.

There are far more extremist, intolerant, bigoted Christians in our countries than there are extremist Islamists, so I know which I find more damaging to my freedoms and rights.

This is certainly not all Christians, but when so many rabid Christians want to attack me, it’s right that I distrust all in that club.

24. de Villiers 26 Oct 2013, 1:41am

It is impertinent and unpersuasive. They will draw no-one to their cause by such behaviour. This is all about their own selfish desire to ignore proper boundaries of appropriate behaviour – like playing loud music in a library or spraying graffiti on a public wall.

Their behaviour is the very opposite of that which they should preach.

25. Ben Foster 26 Oct 2013, 2:28am

Somebody else pointed it out already, but HOW did this couple know the waiter was dead? Did he have it tatooed on his forehead or do Christians have their own Gaydar?

1. Kerry Cochran 26 Oct 2013, 5:14am

The waiter was dead? Nothing worse than a gay zombie waiter. Take it from me, a gay zombie barista.

26. James DuPlessis 26 Oct 2013, 4:15am

My Grandfather was a Preacher, Pentecostal, and he sure as hell was not Homophobic. He taught me to accept and respect everyone, even intolerant, racist, assholes who claim to be Christian. He would have loved my Husband Fred.

27. They are actually being dishonest. By not tipping the waiter they are stealing his services. THEY ARE IMMORAL

28. They are the immoral ones. Stealing services from someone without paying is dishonest

1. Exactly. “The labour is worthy of his hire.” It says so in that book they thump when screaming at the gays.

29. Jock S. Trap 26 Oct 2013, 10:28am

Just nasty. What do these kinds of bigots really hope to achieve? It’s pathetic.

So glad the waiter has such support though and able to stand up, brush himself down and get on.

So many of us have had to do the same against such nasty, discriminating people who claim their religions trump everything…. sad they are misguided, sad individual who are coming ever more irrelevant to a decent society.

30. What a superb demonstration of the arrogance and superiority of all those who suffer from the mental illness that is religious delusion (religious devotion).

Normally, however, most people suffering from religious delusion do not dare to express their delusions as much as this couple did.

The usual behaviour of those suffering religious delusion is to seek to at all times put out an impression of themselves as being more kind and loving than is possible by human effort alone.

31. Funny thing is, this “Christian” couple thinks they are going to Heaven, and this young gay innocent man who gave them great service is going to burn in hell. That is back-assward.

32. The Westboro Baptist church is based in Topeka, just down the road from KC. The type of language used in the note these people left sounds like it’s right out of a press release from the church, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they are ultimately responsible. For them, there is no such thing as “bad publicity”; their “church” is largely funded by people who see their rallies or activities and secretly or not-so-secretly agree with them. They probably saw the other “receipt insult” stories online and thought, “Hey! This is a great way to get some attention”. I’m sure if this is linked to them there will be another wave of donations sent in their direction. What sad, empty lives.

1. I do believe that the Westboro cult actually relies on law suits to make their living. There are not that many who actually believe or follow them at all, just a raggedy bunch of cult followers who don’t have the intelligence to understand that they are being used in a con job.

They bait people, and when they get a reaction they try to sue for damages. They have several lawyers in the cult who spend all their time making cases to earn cash from their victims.

33. There are many “Christians” who just don’t understand that being a true Christian would preclude such hatred. Christ teaches us to love and tells us this is one of the two of the greatest commandments. I’m Christian and I’m a sinner in that there are people that I don’t like. They are individuals who have done me wrong and not an entire group of people who not one has done an thing to me.

34. I actually feel rather sorry for this couple- what a bleak, narrow world they must live in. I do have (non-homophobic) christian friends, who take joy in simple things and go out of their way to help others- I rather doubt they would recognise this behaviour as part of their religion.

35. “Instant Karma gonna get them…”

36. I always have to heave a sigh and roll my eyes whenever self-proclaimed Christians indignantly declare that homosexuality and gay marriage defy “the word of God”. This argument is both cowardly and disingenuous — using biased interpretations of cherry-picked biblical passages to justify their brand of social intolerance and religious self-righteousness.
    Socially-regressive Christian conservatives will always contend that homosexuality is a choice. Rational discussion is pointless. They HAVE to maintain this point of view, because the alternative — the idea that homosexuality is a congenital, perhaps even genetically-based behavior — would mean that God made gays the way they are. Which would imply that to condemn homosexuality would be to condemn God’s will.
    It’s enough to make their narrow-minded heads explode.
    Bottom line: the problem with many Christian conservatives is that they are long on self-righteousness and short on selflessness, long on callousness and short on compassion

37. Sinead Harkin 27 Oct 2013, 7:21am

What a pathetic spineless pair.Perhaps they would like to write a note like that to Tommy my favourite waiter.I wont tell them Tommy was a former Paratrooper who was also an amateur boxer and still spars today.

1. Wow Sinead, is Tommy single?!

As has been said, these folks can’t see the forest for the trees. They don’t realize that they are going against what it is to be Christian. They are following their own cherry picked ideals, lumping it together and calling it Christianity. Of course its all the wacky, self serving ideals they pick and ignore all the ideals about love and compassion!!!

38. Cowards, nothing more nothing less. Fear instilled in ingnorant people by institutions that stagnate and unable to evolve with society

39. Mark Greenberg 27 Oct 2013, 2:56pm

Can’t we tip the waiter on their behalf?

40. soapbubblequeen 27 Oct 2013, 3:17pm

These Christianuttys really don’t do themselves any favours do they? Pair of cu8nts – hope they die of obesity.

41. What ever happened to just turning the other cheek? Why must everyone run to the news to share hatred? STOP.

1. Why can’t people keep their hate-filled comments to themselves and love one another like Christ commanded? Tell them to STOP!

42. Poor ol thom Yorker and co. What have they done to deserve this

43. Kay Arnold 28 Oct 2013, 3:25pm

We have a select group of Nutters, in the US. These home grown bigots wallow in their narrow mindedness. In short they are mentally ill and ignorant of their own professed religion. Nothing gets through their bubble. Some are even worse they are violent, these are just disgusting.

44. johnny33308 29 Oct 2013, 3:07am

I’m sorry but if this couple were proud enough of their religious conviction to write such a note and not tip a working person when he deserved it, then they should be equally proud if their names were known for their proud stand against “fags”….I’d OUT them, myself…people like them need to be made aware that civilized people will not tolerate such behavior in their midst! Anti-social ideas that motivate negative barbaric behavior must be called out and corrected at every opportunity or they will continue forever. Shame them publicly…..evil hides in the dark, people….drag it out into the light and let everyone witness it, do not let it hide! The light kills it!

45. In the UK this is defined as hate speech and is a criminal offence. It’s about time the US had sinilar legislation

46. I think I would have respected this couple a bit (but still think they’re bigots and truly un-Christian) if they had told this young man ahead of time that they perceived his gayness and wanted another waiter………But no, they stole from him and hid their bigotry behind their supposed Christianity……To stiff a waiter….I’ll bet they are the type that look for any excuse to cut tips to waiters……………cheap bogots………

47. Christopher Coleman 31 Oct 2013, 5:32pm

I have often been embarrassed to be in company that either did not tip or tipped very poorly. Some people will use any excuse. In this instance the couple were religious enough to feel comfortable laying the blame on God. I suppose they paid cash. These low life types avoid credit cards, which would leave them open to exposure. Anyway, their written comments can be photographed for the local papers and a physical description can be supplied. Someone is likely to recognize them from the description and handwriting. If they are regular church-goers, they can be confronted. If they are the culprits, their photographs and names should be circulated to all restaurants and on the web, so that all restauranteurs will have the option of turning them out.

48. Christopher in Canada 31 Oct 2013, 11:13pm

Meanwhile, the God they are so smug about supposedly came to Earth to wash feet…

49. These customers are suppose to be Christian’s. I thought God loved everyone.. You don’t have to believe in God to be a good person. These so called Christian people in my book are hateful,ugly people . Shame on them!!!!!! Just because this waiter has a different lifestyle doesn’t make him a bad person.

50. Christianity is a cancer. We would be so much better without religion.