Northern Ireland Health Minister ‘disappointed’ at losing fight against gay adoption rights

1. Alex Elliott 23 Oct 2013, 12:14pm

PinkNews makes very regular references to the UK Supreme Court, even though there is no such thing. Getting the name right is important – especially as you always capitalise it like an official title. Unless I am mistaken (which I might be), you are talking about the High Court? I also believe that if any court were to be called a supreme court, it would be the House of Lords. And then of course there is the fact that Scotland and Northern Ireland have separate legal systems, so the supreme court you talk of is probably only the “supreme court” of England and Wales.

1. http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/index.html

I think this is what they are referring to it can hear cases from England, Wales, Scotland and NI.

2. The House of Lords’ judicial function was removed by Blair. The Supreme Court is its (expensive) replacement. As with the Lords, the Supreme Court is just that for England and Wales and for Northern Ireland, and also it hears civil appeals from the Court of Session in Scotland. There is no appeal to the Supreme Court in Scottish criminal cases.

2. It is patently clear that this jug eared buffoon is a homophobic bigot and should be removed from office as he can clearly not serve all of his “people” as a direct result of his bigotry.

3. Surely after wasting so much public money he should be taken out of office so he doesn’t waste any more public money on his personal vendettas.

4. Jock S. Trap 23 Oct 2013, 1:28pm

Now it has to be time for this vile creature to resign. He has wasted so much of the taxpayers money to try to dictate homophobia in Northern Ireland.

It’s simply no good for NI Ministers to complain about cuts when this make has wasted so much of taxpayers money and keep this man in any position of power.

5. Danny Boyd 23 Oct 2013, 2:16pm

This is typical of the Paisleyite DUP, many of whom believe that the Bible is literally true & the earth is only thousands of years old. I think he would be a good contender for Stonewall’s Bigot of the Year.

6. Robert in S. Kensington 23 Oct 2013, 3:51pm

I hope I’m alive to see the DUP blown out of the water in NI. I find it extremely irritating listening to them in Parliament. Since NI has a devolved government i don’t think they should have right to sit there. I despise all of them, especially Jim Shannon who was determined to destroy the Marriage Bill during committee hearings.

1. I suspect none of us reading PN will live to see the DUP finished as a political force in NI.

But I am confident that almost all of us will live to see marriage equality for the North, probably through the courts. I suspect it will take rather less time than we now think. Within this decade is my guess.

7. With the amount of public money this bigoted idiot has wasted now, he should either stand down from his position or be sacked.

Sadly, I suspect that neither of these will happen.

8. .....Paddyswurds 23 Oct 2013, 7:55pm

Ha,Ha!! Old jug ears Poots lost again. Gay couples are now and apparently always have been eligible to adopt says the High Court. He spent almost £100,000 of taxpayers money trying to push his bronze age religious bigotry down our throats and lost miserably. Next up, Marriage Equality!!

9. Kelvin Beer-Jones 25 Oct 2013, 7:07pm

I don’t think I have an issue with Poots, in fact I wouldn’t want him to have my blood. Let the homophobes opt out if they wish. But they should make their own arrangements so that if they have an accident then they can ask for their private blood to be used. This is if they can find a doctor who will administer it.